Why become a member? ×

Pedalboard build... your essential pedals?

spiltmilk_2000

Hey all, in the process of building my first pedalboard. Up until now I've always been a bass, cable, amp kinda guy but I fancy some fun!

So, my board still has a fair amount of space currently so I thought I'd ask for suggestions from you more knowledgable types... what pedal could you not be without?? Interested in specifics and more general suggestions to check out. All suggestions gratefully received... doesn't need to be genre specific... just after any pedal that makes you smile when you step on it!

Looking forward to your suggestions guys!

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1487599068' post='3241038']
As above, if I'm gigging with just one pedal it's a light overdrive and DI - currently (and has been for a LONG time) the DHA VT1 EQ.

Magic.
[/quote]

How do you power this? I've been looking at the voodoo lab 2 to power the board but it doesn't seem to provide the 1000ma required for this pedal??

Depends on the project.
Are you building a board for the sake of it, or do you need some other sounds for the music you play? That kinda determines what is 'essential' or not :)
The only pedal that is essential for me is a tuner, but if I want a few extra optional colours, I'll have my OC-2, envelope filter, maybe a little chorus and overdrive, high Octave etc

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1487606925' post='3241147']
Depends on the project.
Are you building a board for the sake of it, or do you need some other sounds for the music you play? That kinda determines what is 'essential' or not :)
The only pedal that is essential for me is a tuner, but if I want a few extra optional colours, I'll have my OC-2, envelope filter, maybe a little chorus and overdrive, high Octave etc

Si
[/quote]

I don't feel I need this board for the bands I play in but I feel it'll be a lot of fun in the rehehearsal room and who knows... maybe tonally the effects might inspire me to approach things in a different way.

However, It's mainly because it's becoming increasingly difficult to hide bass purchases... pedals will be easier to keep under the radar whilst satisfying gas! ;-)

[quote name='spiltmilk_2000' timestamp='1487605957' post='3241126']
How do you power this? I've been looking at the voodoo lab 2 to power the board but it doesn't seem to provide the 1000ma required for this pedal??
[/quote]

One Spot. It delivers 1700mA centre negative, so I just put an inverter to power to DHA. I used to run it at 12v on its own adaptor but it's easier to run just one plug. I prefer the sound of it at 9v too - it's a bit dirtier. :yarr:

Always first on my board is my OC-2 ~ after my tuner. B) next, the 'Flashback' delay by TC. I also like it because it does modulation with the delay turned off (2290 MOD pre-set) and finally, a looper because they're fun. I use the '360' by EXH ~ which comes with a knob you can turn to 11! :D

I don't think I could have a board without a bitcrusher on it. That's probably just me though.
Other than that, all of my other essential pedals are due to the specific pedal. For example, if it wasn't for my ChaseBliss Warped Vinyl I would probably be fine without a chorus. I just love that specific chorus' sound.

(Well, other than a tuner/compressor)

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1487627840' post='3241392']
Always first on my board is my OC-2 ~ after my tuner. B) next, the 'Flashback' delay by TC. I also like it because it does modulation with the delay turned off (2290 MOD pre-set) and finally, a looper because they're fun. I use the '360' by EXH ~ which comes with a knob you can turn to 11! :D
[/quote]

+1 for the Flashback. I have one on my board and its a keeper. The Tape delay setting is my main 'normal' delay sound thanks to the really dark repeats, but I really like the way you can ad-hoc a quite usable chorus pedal out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I really feel as though I need* a tuner and wireless. After that, an overdrive and a compressor is probably enough. I'm another one to not take an amp whenever I can get away with it, so I do like a preamp pedal.

Fwiw I'm wireless, buffer, overdrive, eq, tuner, preamp, hpf, di box of that's any inspiration.

*(as much can you ever NEED anything bass-related anyway)

Guest FretNoMore

I'd say the template for my boards have usually been

(Wireless) -> Tuner -> Compressor -> (stuff, depending on music) -> Parametric EQ -> Rumble filter -> Preamp/DI

[quote name='FretNoMore' timestamp='1488706108' post='3251108']
I'd say the template for my boards have usually been

(Wireless) -> Tuner -> Compressor -> (stuff, depending on music) -> Parametric EQ -> Rumble filter -> Preamp/DI
[/quote]

Mine have been similar. Wireless > Tuner > Dirt > Modulation > Wah > Amp/ DI. I like having a wah at the end of the chain so it wahs the whole signal. Similarly, I like dirt at the beginning so the chorus is on the dirty signal rather than the other way around.

Although, right now, my board is Wireless > Tuner > Octave > Chorus > DI. I am on the hunt for a good dirt pedal but I really have no idea what to put in there. Wah is nice, but I only ever use it at home.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1488706689' post='3251114'] I am on the hunt for a good dirt pedal but I really have no idea what to put in there.[/quote]

It's still new to me, but have you heard the Joyo Orange Juice on bass? My current favorite dirt pedal.