Why become a member? ×

Cleaning up chrome

JamesBass

So I've recently purchased a Gibson Les Paul bass and I'm looking to clean it up a bit. It's a 1995 model and the owner previous to me, seems to have not kept the bass in the best environment, he lived in a static caravan, so guessing that's what has damaged some of the chrome work and turned bits rusty.

Is there any tips or tricks short of buying new pieces to remedy the rust?

Autosol chrome cleaner is good for bringing chrome surfaces back but if the chrome is pitted no amount of polishing is going to bring it back to perfection, so you could be into replacing the parts or if they are not available having them re-chromed. If the surface is severely pitted then even re-chroming will not achieve a perfect finish though.

Start with the cheapest option which is Autosol + few minutes of your time and see how much progress you make with that.

It's quite amazing what can be done to restore chrome.
Oxalic acid baths are popular as a start point, but here is a thread on a bike forum that gives an idea of what you can do with household stuff.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=134229