Why become a member? ×

One bass or several on stage

lownote

Take them all and judge if it was a good idea, by the look on your fellow band members faces when you take up half the stage and fumble about mid set chopping and changing instruments.

Spare strings, tools, a spare lead, a spare battery and your God given talent, is all you really need.

You want to match the bass to the song and you don't want to look like a plonker? Hmmmm, how can I be diplomatic?

You must realise that no one (not even another bassist) will care two hoots whether the sound of different basses will match different songs or not. The sound of your best bass will match every song you play, as long as you sound good, play well and don't hit too many bum notes.

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1487661827' post='3241514']
Cheers Chris
[/quote]

The real answer is to take what you need and only you know what that is. I just take one of everything.

An old story; I was told I make all my basses sound like me. I wasn't quite sure what to make of that, then I saw a video where I started on the Lakland and switched to my Lull P bass and the differences were. . . . at best, slight!!

After that I travel light and don't bother which bass I take to the gig.

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1487630604' post='3241424']
No backups for me apart from cables + batteries.

Where would it stop ? Anything could go - cabs, amps, pedals, ...i'd need a bigger boat

Just one fretted and one fretless. Thats it
[/quote]
For functions:
Given that my rig is 2 of 2x10 - I have a spare cab (depending on venue I rarely use both so one becomes a £600 amp stand)
I carry my cables in two Laptop bags - each one also has an amp - so I have two working amps with me at all times
I then carry two basses
So yes.

I've taken two in separate cases which I rebelled against as I never used the spare, so it sat side of stage or left in the car. Then I only took one, but felt guilty in case something went wrong. Got a double case for Christmas. Now spares right on stage if needed, with no carting extra piece and no guilt......But still play the gig with one.

When I first started gigging it was one bass because that's all I had! Never had a problem...so oddly when I had more than one bass to choose from, and importantly when I had a lift, I'd always take two. I tried justifying it because of different basses suiting different songs better, but in all honesty it was more about having a spare "just in case..."

Last band was playing the small clubs of London on multi-band bills with backline provided, and with travel by tube, so back to just one...and I did once have a minor electrical problem but fortunately half way through the last song of the set - if we'd had to play any longer they'd have had to do it without the bass.

My new band has different tunings so I may need to be back to two basses (and they also have transport) but actually this can be covered by a quick re-tuning of a five string (they use down tuned guitars which I can cope with by tuning up a semi-tone) so we need to see if I can re-tune in the time it takes them to swap guitars.

When I was playing guitar in a band I always took at least two, ideally three. partly because the different tone argument holds more weight on guitars (although it's another one where the crowd probably don't notice as much as you think they will) but mainly because I always broke a string - always the G string. there was a running joke amongst the regular crowd on which song I'd bust the string on, and I'd spend the break between sets re-stringing and I'd even change the G-strings on the guitars I'd been playing where it hadn't broken, because it was going to happen sooner or later

I also always take a spare - 'just in case'. At the moment a Hohner B2V which takes up very little space or on 'stage' (= in the corner of the pub) or in the car.

I also pay my house insurance premiums every year, even though I have never claimed in 40 years.

[quote name='nightsun' timestamp='1487687086' post='3241825']
I always have a 'Just in case' bass, sometimes it joins me on stage, sometimes in stays in the case depending on space. Being a tad anal, I also have a spare head, leads etc. Two cabs, the chances of both going are slim.....must find some wood to touch now.
[/quote]

when transport allows I am that man! And even when it doesn't I'll have as many spares as I can cram into whatever gig bags and rucksacks I have with me.

The downside is that I then tend to become the one person in the band that everybody knows will have everything, so they don't bother. I swear, one guitarist in an old band can't have bought himself any picks for years, and once even came to the gig without his guitar strap because he assumed that someone (i.e. me) would have brought a spare that he could use. Told him he'd have to play sitting down...suddenly found that it wasn't too far for him to pop home to get his strap after all.

2 for theatre gigs. Spare is a Precision replica that usually stays in it's case in the stage wings but could be
pressed into service reasonably quickly should anything demand it.

Did a gig in Jersey a few years ago, where the theatre electrics didn't like my active bass at all, causing even
more dodgy noise than usual! Ended up doing two 60 minute sets with the spare bass, and actually wasn't too
bad, although a fair bit heavier than my usual Precision Lyte. Other than that I've never had to use it, but it is
reassuring to know I've a back up there if needed.( Also have a spare amp for the same reason, never used it yet,
touch wood ).

Local pub gigs, just take one. Should anything drastic occur, could always nip home for a replacement.

Always take a spare bass just in case.
Seen a bass knocked off stand & it whanged a tuner off (not mine) lad had to borrow off other band on bill. Also had a jack socket sprung contact snap on guitarists only guitar at rehearsal, t'would have been at a gig t'would have been big problem.

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1487690382' post='3241862']
I've always had three with me at any gig - one for slap, one with flatwounds for soul & Dub type stuff and a fretless. I tend to keep the ones I'm not playing out of sight just so no one thinks I look like a poseur.
[/quote]

Thats my set up too! With one extra in my case, an EUB. Get soooo many comments after the shows about it, I couldn't even think about leaving it off now. Fair play to the guys who do the whole show on one bass, and I used to, but these days I don't. But please, don't expect everybody to be the same. Its horses for courses 'innit.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1487619961' post='3241298']
I always take two basses to a gig. Both are tuned up and ready to go. You never know if you may need a spare.
[/quote]

+1

Or sometimes, i need both a 4 string and a 5 string in a gig, depending on the set list.

I usually take two so I have a spare or something completely different sounding. Took three to the last gig so I had my jazz in drop D. Was a right pain swapping about so I bought a bass extender to fit on my jazz for easy drop tuning. I could really gig just one bass with good strings on it but I own four so I have to keep up the impression I need them all and more to her indoors. Going to do a short set soon with the band where the fretless will get exercised even though it hasn't been on stage with the band yet and will influence the set list and my playing style to suit.
My headless is there just for the look on our growing list of eighties songs even though it has great pickups and plays nicely, so it's an extravagance I can realistically leave out even though it's the most portable and most appropriate back up.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1487635402' post='3241465']
You want to match the bass to the song and you don't want to look like a plonker? Hmmmm, how can I be diplomatic?

You must realise that no one (not even another bassist) will care two hoots whether the sound of different basses will match different songs or not. The sound of your best bass will match every song you play, as long as you sound good, play well and don't hit too many bum notes.
[/quote]as Meatloaf might say "you took the words right out of my mouth" I once saw a band where the bass player had 4 basses which he changed round regularly, they all sounded the same, crap, or perhaps it was because he had the treble at 10 and the bass at 0 on his amp, I was shaking my head in disbelief, still do when I think about it, *Shakes Head*