Why become a member? ×

SOLD FS (no trades): Fender Custom Shop Precision Pro 2013 SOLD
£1950

Old Man Riva

Hi,

Up for sale is my Fender Custom Shop Precision Pro in Olympic White.

It's up at £1,950 (not interested in trades).

The bass is dated 14th May 2013 on the Certificate of Authenticity.

Below is an overview (mostly taken from the factory spec. sheet) which is hopefully of help...

Body: Hand Selected Premium Alder
Neck: Lightly Tinted Quartersawn Maple,1960 "U" Shape, (Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)
Fingerboard: Rosewood, 10” Radius (254 mm)
No. of Frets: 20 Medium Jumbo
Scale Length: 34” (864 mm)
Width @ Nut: 1.50” (38mm)
Hardware: Nickel/Chrome
Machine Heads: 1966 Era Paddle Tuning Machines
Bridge: Leo Quan Badass® II
Pickguard: 4-Ply Tortoise Shell
Pickups: 1 Custom Vintage P Bass, 1 Custom Vintage J Bass (Bridge)
Pickup Switching: N/A
Controls: Volume 1. (P Bass Pickup), Volume 2. (J Bass Pickup), Master Tone
Other Features: Pearloid Block Position Inlays,
Bound Rosewood Fingerboard,
Jazz Bass® Pickup in the ‘70s Position (1/4” Closer to the Bridge),
Knurled Chrome Control Knobs,
Finger Rest in the Lower ‘60s Position,

The finish is classed as 'relic' and the Fender blurb reads "Built as if bought new in its respective year and played a few times a year and then put carefully away. Has a few small dings, checked finish, oxidized hardware and aged plastic parts". The parts don't look that aged (if at all) but the body does feature checking - hopefully the pics give an idea of the finish.

It comes with the Custom Shop deluxe black hardshell case and also the Certificate of Authenticity (it doesn't have the strap or cable that are normally found with these basses as these weren't present when I purchased it second-hand).

I've weighed the bass using bathroom scales and it shows 9lbs laying flat (and 9.2lbs upright!).

The bass itself is as you'd expect from the Custom Shop range - really well made, beautifully sounding and a delight to play. The reason for the sale is that I'm looking to downsize the number of basses that I have and this is the first to go.

I'd prefer collection only rather than posting the bass out/courier method.

I'm in Loughton (Essex) which, for drivers, is just off J26 on the M25, and for tube users is easily accessible via the central line - 15 mins from Stratford, 30 mins from Liverpool Street and 40 mins from Oxford Circus (there or thereabouts).

I hope the above is helpful but if anyone has any questions please do not hesitate to let me know...

Edited by Old Man Riva

[quote name='Basscabman' timestamp='1487645724' post='3241491']
WOW! Just f***ing WOW! Monthly payments? lol. GLWTS mate, I'm a lottery win and a divorce away from owning that gorgeous bass.
[/quote]
Thanks mate, much appreciated.

I wish you luck on the lottery win and fingers crossed that the other thing you mention doesn't happen..!

Thanks, gents, for the kind words - it's a lovely bass and if I weren't under orders to free up some space then it may not be here (for the older viewers think Mr Barraclough's character in Porridge for a glimpse into the Riva home life!).

Beedster, yes I'm confident it's 1.5" at the nut but will confirm when I get back later (I'll measure it myself) - if you fancied a trip to Essex there's a B15 Heritage here for you to try it through!

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1487683900' post='3241788']
Thanks, gents, for the kind words - it's a lovely bass and if I weren't under orders to free up some space then it may not be here (for the older viewers think Mr Barraclough's character in Porridge for a glimpse into the Riva home life!).

Beedster, yes I'm confident it's 1.5" at the nut but will confirm when I get back later (I'll measure it myself) - if you fancied a trip to Essex there's a B15 Heritage here for you to try it through!
[/quote]

Look forward to hearing from you, and having just about managed to not buy back my old B-15 from Chris Anthony, I'd rather not have to spend any time in the presence of one :)

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1487866307' post='3243742']
The bass is no longer on hold and very much back up for sale..!
[/quote]

For which I owe Mick my sincere apologies. As I mentioned above, I tried to buy this bass (or one very like it) in 2014, and had a little trouble establishing the neck width from the then seller. This time around I was praying that Fender might have done the decent thing and put a proper Precision neck on a CS Precision, i.e., 42mm or so at the nut. However, 'twas not to be, and despite coming very very close to pulling the trigger anyway, I realised when late last night I was looking to source a block and bound Precision neck to go on this bass that I was probably venturing a little off piste so to speak.

So, thanks to Mick for his patience and apologies for wasting his time, but my loss is for sure someone else's gain here, I et the feeling that most players, given the choice, would have a Jazz width neck on a Precision anyway, I'm just a bit odd :)

Chris