Why become a member? ×

Nad ... Fender Super Bassman 300

danbowskill

[attachment=238620:DSCF1271.JPG][attachment=238621:DSCF1269.JPG]
After a very Disappointing venture with a Orange ad200 , man is that thing over hyped! going from a SVT to that was like filling your ears with playdoe , for me it just felt like mud .
I love Ampeg valve but the weight (oh the weight) ...had to go, thought i'd never be able to get that tone and thump again........wrong :-):-)
Just received this Wonderful Super bassman 300 from Kevsy71 of this parish( what a fab chap to deal with btw) only had a hours fiddling tonight with my epifani 2x12 cab , both channels just blow me away for tone .....now the hype for these amps of late i do get now.
Cannot wait to give it a test run through my big ampeg cab at next practice ........must resist buying their 6x10 cab haha

This is not my rig btw .....But the same cab head, thankfully I think I can live with the slight overhang ( worth it for the sound ) . But I know what you mean though . I am eyeing up a used fender neo 6x10 bass direct have in stock now though :-D

Edited by danbowskill

[quote name='buff' timestamp='1487793049' post='3243038']
But how much lighter Dan ?
[/quote]
Hi mate . it feels about the same weight as the Orange head was ,around 7kg lighter than the Ampeg .........it's still heavy but it makes the world of difference carrying the head from my house to my car ( lot's and lot's of steps to climb)

The guy i bought my Orange OBC115 just went for the 800 version and swears by it altho i think its a transistor power section in his.
I heard one of these at the Fender roadshow few yrs back and it was a thunderous tone with clear mids and highs.

Nice one. Maybe i should look at that instead of the AD200b head altho i've tried the Orange and liked it a lot.
Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1488217041' post='3246900'] The guy i bought my Orange OBC115 just went for the 800 version and swears by it altho i think its a transistor power section in his. I heard one of these at the Fender roadshow few yrs back and it was a thunderous tone with clear mids and highs. Nice one. Maybe i should look at that instead of the AD200b head altho i've tried the Orange and liked it a lot. Dave [/quote]
Obviously(as always) you should go with what sounds and fits best for you :-
)........ but i just couldn't dial a great tone (for me) with that orange head , i found it far to bass heavy and too much low mids( thats with knowing flat is around quarter/full/quarter on the low mid high). I play Drop C in a loud band , i couldn't get that head to keep clean enough to cut through without distortion! and the head was properly biased without fault . I highly recommend you try the bassman out if you have the chance to before you buy as it is really in another league imo . it's a very versitile amp that most tones you could think of can be found with ease ,with a splendid weight behind each note.
i find it easier to carry than the orange even if it is a touch heavier :-)

Edited by danbowskill

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1488221769' post='3246967']
Obviously(as always) you should go with what sounds and fits best for you :-
)........ but i just couldn't dial a great tone (for me) with that orange head , i found it far to bass heavy and too much low mids( thats with knowing flat is around quarter/full/quarter on the low mid high). I play Drop C in a loud band , i couldn't get that head to keep clean enough to cut through without distortion! and the head was properly biased without fault . I highly recommend you try the bassman out if you have the chance to before you buy as it is really in another league imo . it's a very versitile amp that most tones you could think of can be found with ease ,with a splendid weight behind each note.
i find it easier to carry than the orange even if it is a touch heavier :-)
[/quote]

Thanks for that. Few people have suggested i look at it. Not a cheap amp tho.

Dave