Why become a member? ×

What can make a speaker sound blown

Kevin Dean

Using a Ashdown 4 x 8 speaker at band practice the other day I thought that one of the speakers had blown I backed off the bass to get through the rehearsal but after about 15 minutes it cleared up ? the next day I had the speakers checked & all of them were ok , The only thing I noticed was that one of the speakers had quite a bit of sawdust around the inside edge of the cone that took ages to clean out . It does have two circular bass ports with plastic inserts & maybe one of those was vibrating ? any thoughts ease as I'm a bit nervous about gigging it , cheers .

It could be lots of things: something loose, something leaking, something worn, something rattling. You can't really troubleshoot this kind of thing from a distance, but test tones can help pinpoint the problem. Download the 30, 40 and 50Hz tones from here - http://www.testsounds.com - and play them through the cab. You should quickly be able to locate where the problem is coming from.