Why become a member? ×

Recording gizmo sought

Funky Dunky

I have no idea whatsoever about recording equipment, but I'm looking for a device that will let me plug in via either my amp or a DI pedal, then lay down a bass track (preferably with a click) which I can then send via email to my mate which he can then somehow drop into songs he has recorded on a zoom multitrack.

Also, it has to be under £100, and the files be tweakable in post at my mate's end (add fx etc).

Pardon my total ignorance of this, I am something of a technophobe if we go beyond bass/amp/pedals, so if my request is ridiculous, set me straight as soon as you're done laughing at my post. I was wondering if something like the Zoom H1 would be of use for this?

Any help, and options, would be most appreciated - and explain as though you were talking to a drummer ;)

Edited by Funky Dunky

Something like this?
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/recording-studio/detail.asp?stock=12020814205732&gclid=Cj0KEQiA0L_FBRDMmaCTw5nxm-ABEiQABn-VqWtrx5T8z4cGVuebn-i9RuoD1Pu_Q5cuVGhU6n7IQ0MaAn1p8P8HAQ

DI/mic input x 2. Download Audacity (free). Record away. Other companies make similar things for similar money.

You may encounter problems with timing. Just because you're playing to a click doesn't necessarily mean your click will be perfectly in time with your friends. It only needs to be a fraction of a second out, but over the course of a couple of minutes it'll start to get noticeable.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1487951787' post='3244518']
You may encounter problems with timing. Just because you're playing to a click doesn't necessarily mean your click will be perfectly in time with your friends. It only needs to be a fraction of a second out, but over the course of a couple of minutes it'll start to get noticeable.
[/quote]

This is really REALLY useful advice. As a home recording novice, this is something I would never have considered.

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1487945222' post='3244425']
Something like this?
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/recording-studio/detail.asp?stock=12020814205732&gclid=Cj0KEQiA0L_FBRDMmaCTw5nxm-ABEiQABn-VqWtrx5T8z4cGVuebn-i9RuoD1Pu_Q5cuVGhU6n7IQ0MaAn1p8P8HAQ

DI/mic input x 2. Download Audacity (free). Record away. Other companies make similar things for similar money.
[/quote]

This is as interface, oui? I was enquiring more about a standalone portable recording device with a condenser mic or an input jack, but in a separate thread I have enquired about interfaces so I will add this one to my shortlist. Many thanks.