Why become a member? ×

Who's your no 1 bass player and why?

SH73

Touch call. Probably John Entwistle, even though I pretty much hate the Who. I've gotta hand it to the bass player though. There's other players - JJ Burnell, Stuart Morrow, Hooky - but Entwistle's isolated 'Won't Get Fooled' Ox-Cam footage is what convinced me it was possible to get that kind of super aggressive in your face sound without using a pick and without losing the low end either. That really reinforced my decision to stick to finger style and ultimately ended up sounding the way I do, for good or bad. Interestingly, the last time I saw Morrow play (does he even still play?), he'd ditched the pick and was doing the 'typewriter' style.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1487702996' post='3242027']
Obviously mine is Steve Harris. First I heard Iron Maiden was around 1982-1983. It was bass lines such as Killers, Wratchild and The Number of the Beast that made me always wanting to play bass. Live After Death really blew my mind away.
[/quote]

Pretty much this. I first heard maiden in 82. I decided there and then that the bass was for me.

Billy Sheehan for me.

Obviously he's very technically gifted (although if you ask him he says it's all about practice), but he's also brilliant at simply serving the song when required. Not all of his stuff is 'widdly-diddly'.

He's also very willing to share his knowledge with anyone, also very approachable and humble. Amazing gear-head too.

crikey, where do you start with this.
Initially, The Police were my favourite band and it was easy to hear the bass guitar and copy it.
Then The Jam, same reason.
Then Duran Duran. Same reason.

I was 12 when I took up the bass in 1981 and there was plenty of good music about. My brothers listened to rock/ glam/ Pink Floyd, Yes and Rush.

Then I became a massive fan of Phil Lynott. I saw Lizzy in '83 at Reading then Grand Slam the following year. I thought Phil was great and I loved his live sound. The Roland bass through his Dynachord gear.

I was very aware of Nick Beggs playing and also Pino. I started buying albums because Pino was on them. Nick Heywood and Dave Gilmour both recorded with Pino.

and yes then there was Steve Harris. My eldest brother support Maiden when they played some shows in Italy, to break Bruce in. So I bought some Maiden to see who they were.

Over the years there are so many players that I discovered and loved. Larry Graham, Bootsy, Bernard Edwards, Lemmy, Andy Fraser, the list is almost endless

Has to be Pino for me because of the way he seems able to play in any genre at the drop of a hat. I like some of his less well known stuff as well. particularly with Robbie MacIntosh and D'Angelo. He always seems to be the one that other musicians want which must make him rather special. I also had a chat with him many, many years ago and he was such a nice bloke.

Phil Lynott, Roger Glover and Glenn Hughes for reasons already mentioned.
Add to that Gene Simmons from Kiss as i was a big fan of all of them around 1976. Destroyer album was and still is one of my fav albums.

Main reasons for them were Jailbreak album was just out and bought same time as Destroyer. 2 of my fav rock albums.
Roger Glover because of Made In Japan. Bass playing was pure heavy Rock.
Then i heard Glenn Hughes on California Jam and was blown away by his playing.

All these happened around same time i starte playing bass and these were the songs i was trying to play.

Dave