Why become a member? ×

Who's your no 1 bass player and why?

SH73

From a playing point of view it would be John Entwistle.
I was about 12 years old when my sister's boyfriend gave me a cassette tape of Quadrophenia. I was completely blown away by The Real Me. I didn't even know it was the bass at the time if I'm honest but there was this incredible, thunderous sound that completely dominated and drove that song.
A couple of years later a friend suggested I try taking up bass as he'd just been given a drum kit. It was only then when I started to listen out for the bass lines on songs that I realized that was what it was.
That one song meant that I have never viewed the bass as 'just' a supporting or background instrument. It can certainly do that all day long if necessary but John Entwistle was the man that first showed me it is also capable of so much more.
From a purely visual point of view though an honorable mention goes to Jason Newsted headbanging his way through A Year And A Half In The Life Of Metallica. He influenced me most when I first started playing to be visually entertaining as well as musical and I've never been one for staying still on stage.

Probably Phil Lynott just for the lines he came up with and the way his bass lines fitted within the song - plus he was suhc a great singer, writer and front man.

However, others who would be up there vying for position... Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, Abe Laboriel, Davey Paton, John Wetton, Neil Murray and a host of others.

[quote name='Jazzjames' timestamp='1487714385' post='3242169']
Word
[/quote]

:)
Funny enough, James, earlier I was listening to your 'Guy Lefleur' transcription down in the theory cellar.
Top, top work. Lovely accurate transcription on your website and very well played too.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1487713882' post='3242160']
Anthony Jackson.
It don't get any better musically wise.
[/quote]

For normal playing then AJ is my definite favourite. I was extremely fortunate a few years ago to see him with Mike Stern at a masterclass at my old uni. Absolutely fantastic.

Steve Lawson for non-normal playing :).

Pino.

If it were a top 3, he'd be joined by Tony Levin and Roscoe Beck, but PP gets the nod due to not only his ability to play with so many different and diverse artists, but his little fills that are just - him.

Edited by ezbass

Dee Dee Ramone taught me rhythm and where the notes are on the fretboard.

I learnt by playing along to Ramones tracks.

He may not be technically the best but he taught me how to play.

For that reason,as far as I'm concerned, he's No. 1.

Edited by Cato

Plus one for Maccer.

I used to love hearing his basslines on jukeboxes because it was the only place as a child where I could get a decent amount of bass. Record players, radios and tellies were crap. I didn't get to go to cafés very often and would have to fill in the basslines with my imagination when listening to the same tunes at home.