Why become a member? ×

Help me spend a lot of money

Bridgehouse

I've made the transition over from widdly-little six string things to the proper world of low end, and now have a jam night/bluesy rock covers set up and an offer for a startup covers/original band.

Collection so far:
2016 Stingray
1974 P

I'm playing the '74 P a LOT, and loving the vintage vibe.

Having committed to the instrument, I've sold off 2 rather high end guitars, and one vintage, along with a high end guitar amp, and now have ££'s for a third bass.

My initial thoughts for options are:-

- Vintage 60's Jazz (if I can find one, I'd go for a special order colour with matching headstock)
- Custom build

I did toy with the idea of a Travis Bean - but my recent thread suggests they are as rare as, well, you know, the sit-on horse droppings. And I'm not really convinced.

If I'm honest with myself, the Jazz is where my heart is - I just get on so much better with vintage instruments. Dunno why, I just do.

Anyways, what's your thoughts? Mad to go for a 60's Jazz? Would a custom build be more satisfying long term? What would round off the collection?

Thoughts greatly appreciated!

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1487721580' post='3242251']
Here you go

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EX-PINO-PALLADINO-FENDER-JAZZ-BASS-STACK-KNOB-1961-VINTAGE-FENDER-BASS-WHO-/391434650065?hash=item5b2352c1d1:g:xfwAAOSwopRYhkWi"]http://www.ebay.co.u...fwAAOSwopRYhkWi[/url]
Vintage,jazz,lot of money ticks all boxes
[/quote]

Beautiful - maybe I should clarify - perhaps not quite that much money.. Let's say half that amount :D

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1487724943' post='3242268']
Half ?? With that kind of budget you could get anything you want built. Half again should easy get you another vintage Fender.

Serious money you're talking.
[/quote]

Sold a lot of gear.. very tempted by some of the mid-60's transition Jazz's I've seen...

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1487731609' post='3242276']
Afraid that's out of my territory so I can only wish you well in the search.
Get yourself to Bass Direct or the Gallery. Doubt there's much outwith your budget so play them all.
Take your time deciding and enjoy the experience.

Looking forward to seeing your NBD.
[/quote]
Couldn't agree more.
Have you looked at amps and effects? If you need to unload your bankaccount there are many fine opportunities to do so!

Nice dilemma to have, and one to enjoy :gas:

You've chosen two very different animals to pick from, but it sounds like your heart is in the vintage one.

I've had a fair few 50-60's Fender basses, including Jazzes, and when they are special they really are special, but when they are average they are very disappointing. The prices are wild and value is questionable, so get one that looks, sounds and feels great and it's all good. I have a Mike Lull bass which is custom, and nearly bought a Lull Jazz Bass a while back, they are amazing instruments but IMO so far removed from the vintage vibe, which I feel about most custom or modern basses tbh.

Edited by Chiliwailer

I think you need to try a lot more basses first before spending any money. Given the sums being mentioned you could have pretty much anything you want so long as it isn't a super-rare vintage bass or something that's once been owned by someone famous (or some of Jens Ritter's more "out there" creations).

So take a few days out and go and visit Bass Direct in Warwick and The gallery and Andy Baxter in London (for starters) and go and play as many different basses as you can get hands on.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1487756413' post='3242403']
I think you need to try a lot more basses first before spending any money. Given the sums being mentioned you could have pretty much anything you want so long as it isn't a super-rare vintage bass or something that's once been owned by someone famous (or some of Jens Ritter's more "out there" creations).

So take a few days out and go and visit Bass Direct in Warwick and The gallery and Andy Baxter in London (for starters) and go and play as many different basses as you can get hands on.
[/quote]

^^^^ this, in spades.

Mornin,

seconded: check Andy Baxters inventory (http://andybaxterbass.com/guitars.php?pc=1&cat=1)

And another thought: owning myself an old Wal MKII - I hesitate to take the instrument to gigs. Just too precious to me, there are strange people around sometimes and .... well things happen on stage and during transport and so forth. So you might find something different - non-original - where you do not fear hitting a cymbal onstage or - worst case - getting it stolen. Thinking of the Road worn Mexican, Limelight etc.

Cheers,
Tom

Every bassist needs a P & a J derived bass - you know what to do!

A vintage jazz would be lovely, in addition to the shops mentioned Wunjos & that one over the road on Denmark Street often have vintage Fenders pass through their doors & are often worth a look.

You could of course go for a custom jazz-type bass but you do run the risk of having not scratched the Fender Jazz itch & so could end up having to buy one later down the line anyway...