Why become a member? ×

do you mute when slapping

Lazurus

It's a lot less long and torturous than learning to bow though! I'd say it's not essential as (unless you're talking single slap in the sense of the string snapping back on the fingerboard) the slap in itself mutes the string. But the other hand muting the string just gives it a bit more control. The whole thing with slap is there's no "right way". There's no Simandl of slap. You just find what works for you and the sound you want, then do it lots.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for my late reply - I've only just seen this thread
I've only recently learned to play slap DB myself, and as ever, I'm still learning (still struggling with tripple slapping)
Slap technique is / can be really useful - depending on the band you're in, and the style you're playing

I tend to use both hands to mute, I find this will depend on the song (or indeed the riff / passage) I'm playing
It's something I still haven't quite perfected, as sometimes a note will ring on longer than I'd anticipated...

Just thought I'd mention it, but I really couldn't get the hang of slap, and very quickly got blisters too
Fortunately for me, I have 2 DB's - well a DB and an EUB. So I fitted Slap Happy "Weedwackers" to one bass, to help me learn, and hopefully, be a bit easier on my fingers. I have to say, though I've now removed said strings, the Weedwackers really helped me to learn to slap. They're far easier on your fingers, and though I found the E string in particular was way too sloppy to play - it definitely helped me learn slap DB

I have silver slaps on my bass, I find they are a great string I have no problems getting the sound I want, its just getting it in the right place, like the rest of my notes :D.

So how do you learn the riffs, solo`s and bass lines to songs, there never appears to be any music to follow. I recently had a few hours with a very talented Rockabilly bassist, no music, no tabs, just his ear for the song.... However I need to start somewhere, any suggestions?

I'm currently using Silver Slaps too Lazarus. Yes, I like them a lot.

I tend to learn riffs and any bass parts the way I've always done - by ear...
These days, depending on the song, of course, there's Youtube
But if it's not on there, I just get the general structure and keys of the song by ear - then work out any more complex bits note by note

Sometimes, I start out with the keys & structure on DB. Then, any tricky parts, I work out on the bass guitar (sometimes, it just seems to help with individual notes or a quick-ish riff). Lucky you, to have spent time with that rockabilly bassist :)