Why become a member? ×

Slightly confused with Darkglass model lineup

Jack

Hi all,

I'm looking at the B7K Ultra, the B3K, the Vintage Ultra and the Vintage Microtubes.

Are the preamps simply the distortion pedals with the eq bolted on? Basically I would like unit to replace my MXR M80 which is a two channel preamp, one clean and one distortion and a separate unit to replace my MXR bass overdrive pedal. If I was to get, say the B7KU and the Vintage Microtubes, would that mean I could have a darkglass preamp, a heavy distortion and creamier overdrive? Would that set up (B7KU + VM) be any different to the opposite, the Vintage Ultra and the B3K?

So confused!

Thanks.

Edited by Jack

The BxK and Vintage models are two different types of drive and there are a number of 'updates' shall we say for each model. For example

Vintage Microtubes - Vintage Deluxe - Vintage Deluxe II - Vintage Ultra. Each in turn have an enhanced feature set, but essentially start with a similar voice. It's similar for the BxK range too. The B3K doesn't have the full EQ section that the B7K does and the Ultra version is the latest update of the B7K, if that makes sense.

Like the MXR M80, if you turn off the drive section, the EQ (preamp) sections of the B7K, Deluxe and Ultra versions are all still running. You'll only switch that off if you disengage the pedal completely. Having a B7KU and a VM would probably be a really nice mix, though I'd be tempted to put a B3K in front of the Vintage Ultra, simply because I would kinda set the VMU to be my 'amp on the edge of break up' all of the time, then use the B3K or similar to push it over the edge.

Ultimately, I've not tried both ways round and the only way for knowing what works for you is to try it out. I know that's not going to be easy unless you can get to somewhere like Bass Direct and try out all four!

Essentially, yes they are. The eq section of both the B7K and Vintage Ultra appear to be identical so you could pair 1 Ultra and 1 standard pedal of your choice to do as you describe.

However there is a limitation with the Ultra design; you can't have different EQ settings with the drive on and off, so you might not be able to switch between clean and dirty without some kind of compromise on EQ settings.

For example, you might want the bass and treble boosted on your clean tone through the B7K Ultra. But then you find yourself using the grunt and attack switches to get your drive sounding how you want it, both of which boost bass and treble also, so with the dirt on you might not want the same EQ.

Also, the original Vintage is rather dark sounding; I found myself trading it in for the Deluxe so I could boost the treble control (which actually affects more of the high mids on that one). The newest Vintage Deluxe also adds in the attack/grunt switches from the BXK lineup.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1487765614' post='3242536']
The BxK and Vintage models are two different types of drive and there are a number of 'updates' shall we say for each model. For example

Vintage Microtubes - Vintage Deluxe - Vintage Deluxe II - Vintage Ultra. Each in turn have an enhanced feature set, but essentially start with a similar voice. It's similar for the BxK range too. The B3K doesn't have the full EQ section that the B7K does and the Ultra version is the latest update of the B7K, if that makes sense.

Like the MXR M80, if you turn off the drive section, the EQ (preamp) sections of the B7K, Deluxe and Ultra versions are all still running. You'll only switch that off if you disengage the pedal completely. Having a B7KU and a VM would probably be a really nice mix, though I'd be tempted to put a B3K in front of the Vintage Ultra, simply because I would kinda set the VMU to be my 'amp on the edge of break up' all of the time, then use the B3K or similar to push it over the edge.

Ultimately, I've not tried both ways round and the only way for knowing what works for you is to try it out. I know that's not going to be easy unless you can get to somewhere like Bass Direct and try out all four!
[/quote]

Maybe I have entirely mis-interpreted what you have said here but can you engage and disengage the drive section of the B7K whilst leaving the EQ running via the single foot switch?

[quote name='nomis' timestamp='1488211154' post='3246823']
Maybe I have entirely mis-interpreted what you have said here but can you engage and disengage the drive section of the B7K whilst leaving the EQ running via the single foot switch?
[/quote]

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1488211802' post='3246830']
No, but you can on the B7K Ultra.
[/quote]

What Jack says :) :)

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1488258029' post='3247247']
I finally grabbed a B7K to see what all the fuss is about.

wow ! There's the tone I was searching for all these years. Just dial my amp flat and let the B7K provide all the goodness :)
[/quote]

Just how I reacted. :)

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1488258029' post='3247247']
I finally grabbed a B7K to see what all the fuss is about.

wow ! There's the tone I was searching for all these years. Just dial my amp flat and let the B7K provide all the goodness :)
[/quote]

Yup, really was the sound in my head when I first tried it. Never tried anything like it since! :)