Why become a member? ×

Your Bass doesn't 'suit' the band...

LewisK1975

Hey folks.

Whats your opinion on this one?

My favourite Bass to gig with is undoubtedly my sonic blue Yamaha Attitude ltd3. Love everything about it.

Been told that the Prog band I'm in requires a more 'traditional' looking Bass, a Fender basically.

No problem, I have suitable looking Basses I can use, but none of them feel as 'right' to me as the Yamaha.

I'm pretty pragmatic about it and will do what's necessary, I'm not the 'main' guy in the band, and I enjoy the music so if the look is [i]that [/i]important, then so be it.

But what would YOU do?

See if you have a say on what drums your drummer uses and what guitar is used etc.
Sounds a bit ridiculous to me mate. They've asked you to play bass, so unless it was a tribute, your choice of equipment shouldn't be down to anyone else surely?
Especially if its just because of how it looks.
A swift "Feck off" should do it :D

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1487775000' post='3242715']
Hey folks.

Whats your opinion on this one?

My favourite Bass to gig with is undoubtedly my sonic blue Yamaha Attitude ltd3. Love everything about it.

Been told that the Prog band I'm in requires a more 'traditional' looking Bass, a Fender basically.

No problem, I have suitable looking Basses I can use, but none of them feel as 'right' to me as the Yamaha.

I'm pretty pragmatic about it and will do what's necessary, I'm not the 'main' guy in the band, and I enjoy the music so if the look is [i]that [/i]important, then so be it.

But what would YOU do?
[/quote]

I think you've already suggested. Serve the band if you have an "appropriate" axe.

Like it or not, image is a large part of what we do and that includes how the instrument we turn up with is perceived by the audience and the band leader. For that reason I now own a couple of fenders again.

Having said that, I would have thought that the attitude would have worked in a prog band but then what do I know...

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1487775975' post='3242735']
I think you've already suggested. Serve the band if you have an "appropriate" axe.
[/quote]

Yep, as I said I'm OK with using a Jazz / Precision, I'm interested in what everyone else would do if put in the same position.

I've encountered it before, and have always been a little puzzled by it. As has been said, the punters probably won't care, then again we are talking Progressive Rock Fans here, you never know.........

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1487776170' post='3242740']
Like it or not, image is a large part of what we do and that includes how the instrument we turn up with is perceived by the audience and the band leader. For that reason I now own a couple of fenders again.

Having said that, I would have thought that the attitude would have worked in a prog band but then what do I know...
[/quote]

I think it's the fact that it's Sonic Blue. The comment was that it looks like a 'toy' bass, compared to a Fender.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1487776441' post='3242745']
I don`t think me playing a BC Rich Warlock would look "right" in my punk/Oi band.
[/quote]

Definitely Lozz, there are times when it makes sense. As above, I think the main sticking point is actually the colour...

i cant afford multiple instruments to fit certain types so they get what ive got, anyway i'd play what i'm most comfortable with as that way the band will sound better for it (less mistakes etc)
would have thought something different from the 'norm' would suit prog nicely but like lozz says there are extremes but the attitude isnt in that category

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1487776899' post='3242760']
Out of interest. What's the guitarist/s using?
My earlier reply was a bit flippant. I do actually get the colour thing.
[/quote]

1 of them Strats for definite, although the other one has been bringing a PRS to rehearsals. But I know he has access to other guitars too. Girl Singer has a strat too.

How can a Yamaha Attitude LTD3 be 'un-Prog'? A toy bass compared to a Fender? I like Fenders but I can pretty much guarantee more thought when into a LTD3's design and was better made than 99% of Fenders.

Show them this then tell them to shut up and stop being so ignorant.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C8uslX1R5g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C8uslX1R5g[/url]

Edited by Marvin

Just auditioned for, and joined, a band that originally formed in the late 1960s, playing my headless Sei Flamboyant 5. They didn't have a problem with it.

Oh, and Rhino Edwards plays a Status Streamline with Quo.

Edited by tauzero

I have to admit it'd niggle at me, especially for the reasons given - Prog? It's not like you're a fully Stetson'd Country Band, or it's as extreme as a BC Rich in Lozz's example...there's a ton of precedent for non-Fender basses in Prog, fer Chrissakes...

The BL sounds like a control freak to me, which can be good in a lot of ways, bad in others...

Oh, and 99.9% of the punters (even Prog punters) won't give a toss...

Only you know whether it's worth caving on this one...does the BL have 'opinions' on anything else you do/use?

Image is important. And I find it hilarious that "Progressive" rock band should be so boringly conservative. I'd have understood it if they had deemed you Yamaha to be too conventional.

If this was me, and I really liked the music I'd be tempted to turn up to the next rehearsal with either a Fender in exactly the same colour as the Yamaha, or something really weird looking, but in a nice safe sunburst finish.