Why become a member? ×

Cheesed off I really am

kevvo66

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1488099379' post='3245718']
My advice? Try and jump into bed with an already established singer / guitarist / drummer and start something that way. A local 'character'.

I'm fairly local to to Nantwich and the scene is incredibly incestuous around that area. I see the same players in different variations of the same band and if you aren't in 'the clique' you don't get a chance.

Maybe it is like that everywhere.
[/quote]
I'm might be a few miles away from you and I couldn't agree more about the incestuous nature of things around here. Maybe it's the same everywhere though, as you say. It's the same on a music scene not a zillion miles from here too. Jeez, talk about cronysm and old boys network!

I thought I was really lucky when I hit on a startup band on JMB with people of the same experience and abilty level ... until the first small disagreement (after loads of gigs) and it all went tits up. Not even a discussion - end of. Apprently that's the "leader's" MO. Shame, it was a really good band. FFS I've been in bands that have come to blows and not split. I even had a guy steal from me many years ago and we carried on!

Now I'm back trawling JMB and local FB music pages and feeling increasingly like writing it all off as a bad job. Perhaps I'm hoping for too much these days by looking for a gigging band, of a high enough standard, playing music I can enjoy/live with and that I'm not too old for. I've answered a couple of ads that looked promising but decided not to follow them up as far as a meeting because I knew deep down it wasn't for me and didn't want to waste their time. I'm sure I'm not the only one here that doesn't just want to be in 'any' band simply for the sake of being in a band.

JMB rant: Why do some people advertise and not reply? Why not put links to any vids or pages they might have instead of waiting to be asked? And it's pretty frustrating when people put "search for mybandname" so you have to spend ages looking for them, and usually giving up, when they could have simply posted a link.

I wish all of you out there looking for a band good luck!

Edited by inthedoghouse

[quote name='inthedoghouse' timestamp='1488562463' post='3250108']
JMB rant: Why do some people advertise and not reply? Why not put links to any vids or pages they might have instead of waiting to be asked? And it's pretty frustrating when people put "search for mybandname" so you have to spend ages looking for them, and usually giving up, when they could have simply posted a link.

I wish all of you out there looking for a band good luck!
[/quote]

Thanks.

Re: JMB. It could be that, like myself, their accounts have become corrupted or hacked so that the account is no longer accessible. I can still see my ads there but the owner just doesn't reply to my emails. It's the second time an email address of mine has been rendered useless as an ID on JMB because the site owner wont reset my account.

I gave up.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1488565112' post='3250133']
Thanks.

Re: JMB. It could be that, like myself, their accounts have become corrupted or hacked so that the account is no longer accessible. I can still see my ads there but the owner just doesn't reply to my emails. It's the second time an email address of mine has been rendered useless as an ID on JMB because the site owner wont reset my account.

I gave up.
[/quote]
That's a shame that the owner doesn't reply to or action your mails. I often report spam postings and they are usually removed, so I guess he/she reads their mails.

I've sent a PM to several ads when they were only hours old and have seen that my polite request for futher information has been read, but they haven't bothered to reply. File under time wasters and dreamers.

I feel like giving up too! :-(

Guest gazzatriumph

I've given up on bands now and play for my own enjoyment, I dont know what other people think but in my experience there always seemed to be one person in the bands I've been in that ends up pissing me and most the others off. I take so much and then walk, always got on well with the other band members. Also sick of playing in classic rock bands churning out the same old boring numbers but it seems that's what pays. So unless an opportunity to join a post punk/80's alternative band, my kind of music, which is unlikely, I'm going to carry on playing with myself :D

Edited by gazzatriumph

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1487878760' post='3243871']
Check out Bass Player Wanted in Milwaukee Rocks

[url="http://www.milwaukeerocks.com/classifieds.asp?cat=1013"]http://www.milwaukee...ds.asp?cat=1013[/url]

None of these opportunities would be a match for me.

Blue
[/quote] SEVEN piece gigging country band.... Wonder if the fee covers their bar tab? :lol:

[quote name='gazzatriumph' timestamp='1488732158' post='3251364']
I've given up on bands now and play for my own enjoyment, I dont know what other people think but in my experience there always seemed to be one person in the bands I've been in that ends up pissing me and most the others off. I take so much and then walk, always got on well with the other band members. Also sick of playing in classic rock bands churning out the same old boring numbers but it seems that's what pays. So unless an opportunity to join a post punk/80's alternative band, my kind of music, which is unlikely, I'm going to carry on playing with myself :D
[/quote]
I compromise with any difficult member if it gets the job done in the end, ie a paid gig, cant see the point of playing bass unless its in a band context, a bit like playing solo drums, whats the point?

[quote name='gazzatriumph' timestamp='1488732158' post='3251364']
I've given up on bands now and play for my own enjoyment, [u]I dont know what other people think[/u] but in my experience there always seemed to be one person in the bands I've been in that ends up pissing me and most the others off. I take so much and then walk, always got on well with the other band members. Also sick of playing in classic rock bands churning out the same old boring numbers but it seems that's what pays. So unless an opportunity to join a post punk/80's alternative band, my kind of music, which is unlikely, I'm going to carry on playing with myself :D
[/quote]

Honestly? I think you might be shooting yourself in the foot to a degree.

If you get pleasure from playing at home to yourself - fine. Job done. Bass isn't a great solo instrument however. Even Joe Dart underpins his fellow band members for the most part. Bass is best in an ensemble situation. I don't count playalongs as an ensemble.

I understand what you say about friction with other band members. It is something that seems to go with the territory. It takes a degree of maturity to rise above personality clashes for the sake of a band and even then it is no guarantee. Good luck.

Guest gazzatriumph

I'm an easy going chap, I'm 54 now and can't be doing with ego's and drama queen's. I thought I had to be in a band but to be honest I really enjoy just playing along to cd's which I used to do when I was younger. I've played big bike rallies and quite a few gigs so feel I've achieved what I wanted to do, so as I said unless something which really floats my boat comes along I'm not going to join a band for the sake of being in a band which I know I have done in the past.

Long post, apologies in advance. I'm in the same boat - my Blues Band is going along nicely, but not quite as busy as I would like due to other members commitments so I answered an ad just before Christmas from a covers band with an interesting set list (to me, at any rate). Told me they had gigs in the pipeline, were ready to go until the last guy left, all the right things. We've rehearsed pretty much weekly for 3 months, sent me stuff to look at, I pick four or five, turn up for rehearsal and get "Oooh, we've not done that for a while, and I'm not sure we know that one too well...." - why send it to me then? Bite my lip, we muddle on, they get a gig, Hurrah! Then a change to the set list with 5 days to go but only one or two so it's OK, and we'd fiddled around with the new ones anyway, turn up on the night to find the set is the same songs but in a completely new order, not an issue but a bit strange as we'd discussed the whole "Open with this, close first set with that...etc.". Gig goes OK, a bit better than that really, actually quite well. People enjoy it. They have a sound guy as they don't have a PA "At the moment...." He earns more than we do as he's on a flat fee. It's a fee plus a jug (let's not get into that again) - I can see and lip read the singer's wife asking why people (her friends) have to cough up. Not a good sign. She's ignored me all night and I haven't been introduced. Starts to smell a bit really. Sent a message today asking how they propose to move on, have they found any more gigs, what's happening etc. and get the Dear John.... they are "taking a breather to work things out" and feel there are "musical differences". They compliment me on my playing, tell me I'm the best bass player they've had (and I quote: "We've had quite a few...") but think they will look for someone else. They have no gigs. Or any prospective gigs.They are clearly a rehearsal band. I thought I'd asked all the right questions at the audition and afterwards when they called, but clearly not. It strikes me that you've got to question people like a fanatical Gestapo interrogator to get all the answers which is not exactly the best way to start off on a "relationship" is it? Why can't people just be honest? Or are they just dreamers? Time to start looking all over again..........

Guest gazzatriumph

Most bands really are a pain in the ass, the last one I was in was an originals band. I liked their music and thought it would make a change from the usual covers stuff, I knew there was no money in it but wasn't bothered by that. After three months learning the set we had our first gig which went pretty well and then a week later the band leader and guitarist decided he didn't want to do it any more, what a waste of three months and paying out for weekly rehearsals. I decided I had now had enough of bands and play for my own enjoyment now free from all the Bs that goes with being in most bands.

[quote name='gazzatriumph' timestamp='1488819066' post='3252051']
Most bands really are a pain in the ass ....
[/quote]
Yeah - as someone said to me recently, you spend all that time and effort building relationships and spending so many hours (at home as well as reheasal) perfecting songs, but you know all the time it's all probably going to fall apart sooner or later. In my last band I made the mistake of believing that some members of the band had the same high level of personality as they did in their musicianship - wrong!

I still want to be in a band though, but just not [i]any [/i]band for the sake of being in a band. I still have a very small amount of personal and musical pride left in me after all these years. Oh yes, and I could do with the few quid it brings in, lol :-)

I've said it on another thread, but very early on, bands need to sit down and have The Chat about what each member wants to achieve and how much commitment they can devote to the band.

Trouble is, even when you have The Chat people walk away thinking completely different things.

In one band we all agreed that we would try and play as many gigs as we possibly could, but for two of us that meant literally playing every got we got offered regardless of how big or small the pay packet (often non-existent when trying to establish an originals band, and we weren't in it for the money...just as well), but for another it meant getting as many well paid gigs as possible as he wanted the band to supplement his income (and he eventually left for a functions band).

None of us were lying, we just meant different things. Although I've certainly been in situation where people have lied about it.

And there is a special place in hell for the ones who claim to be "really committed" to the band when in practice that means it's one of their most favourite hobbies and they'll do their best to come to rehearsals and play gigs as long as they don't have anything better to do that day.

And there are an awful lot of people who like being able to tell people that they are "in a band" just as long as it doesn't involve any of the tedious stuff like playing their instruments and learning songs.

We should put together a questionnaire to be handed out whenever a new band forms or a new person joins an existing band:

Does "rehearsing every Saturday afternoon" mean (i) "rehearsing every Saturday afternoon" or (ii) "rehearsing every Saturday afternoon when Arsenal aren't playing"?

Are "gigs" (i) events that have been confirmed that will be honoured unless you are prevented being there due to accident or illness or (ii) loose arrangements that have been pencilled in and you'll play them if nothing better comes up that night?

Edited by Monkey Steve

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1488993962' post='3253587']
I've said it on another thread, but very early on, bands need to sit down and have The Chat about what each member wants to achieve and how much commitment they can devote to the band.

Trouble is, even when you have The Chat people walk away thinking completely different things.

In one band we all agreed that we would try and play as many gigs as we possibly could, but for two of us that meant literally playing every got we got offered regardless of how big or small the pay packet (often non-existent when trying to establish an originals band, and we weren't in it for the money...just as well), but for another it meant getting as many well paid gigs as possible as he wanted the band to supplement his income (and he eventually left for a functions band).

None of us were lying, we just meant different things. Although I've certainly been in situation where people have lied about it.

And there is a special place in hell for the ones who claim to be "really committed" to the band when in practice that means it's one of their most favourite hobbies and they'll do their best to come to rehearsals and play gigs as long as they don't have anything better to do that day.

And there are an awful lot of people who like being able to tell people that they are "in a band" just as long as it doesn't involve any of the tedious stuff like playing their instruments and learning songs.

We should put together a questionnaire to be handed out whenever a new band forms or a new person joins an existing band:

Does "rehearsing every Saturday afternoon" mean (i) "rehearsing every Saturday afternoon" or (ii) "rehearsing every Saturday afternoon when Arsenal aren't playing"?

Are "gigs" (i) events that have been confirmed that will be honoured unless you are prevented being there due to accident or illness or (ii) loose arrangements that have been pencilled in and you'll play them if nothing better comes up that night?
[/quote]
Very good post, Steve.

We certainly had The Chat several times before it got to the first rehearsal and were pretty much in total agreement. There were never any probs at all from any of us about commitment - all songs well learnt at home before rehearsal, all gigs and rehearsals gladly attended etc etc. It's fair to say we all had the same high level of commitment. I would have liked more gigs but I knew the score when I joined the that band.

I think that often people's wants or expectations can sometimes change as the band develops over time though, especially as group dynamics elvolve. But that's for another day ...

[quote name='gazzatriumph' timestamp='1488732158' post='3251364']... in my experience there always seemed to be one person in the bands I've been in that ends up pissing me and most the others off. I take so much and then walk, always got on well with the other band members. So unless an opportunity to join a post punk/80's alternative band, my kind of music, which is unlikely, I'm going to carry on playing with myself :D
[/quote]

Totally this! So I left the band and formed my own covers band doing exactly this type of material!. It's been a slow and frustrating process, but, three rehearsals in, things are starting to take shape. I'm really enjoying returning to my teens and twenties to look up material for the band too :)