Why become a member? ×

Cheesed off I really am

kevvo66

Well just when I thought my new band was coming together it all goes tits up really the singer as no PA that he said he had the guitarist whos very good as buggered off with another band all from join my band think I'll go as a one man bass band as trying to form this new venture just not happening I do miss the city sometimes for the music scene I love my little town but finding musicians who haven't been snapped up already isn't easy I'm even thinking playing guitar again and getting my mate in on bass sad times indeed but needs must I'm afraid can someone talk some sense into me before it's to late and I cross back over to the dark side oh bugger, any other band forums kicking about for my never ending quest before it's to late

Edited by kevvo66

Bandmix or even Gumtree are 2 i've used along with Join My Band.
Not sure distances involved for you but if it helps i travel 40 miles each way along country roads to rehearse and most gigs are gonna be approx 40-50mies from me as rest of the band are based in same area where they rehearse.
Its well worth it tho cause i finally am very settled with this band. Easy going, no pressure and all great musicians.

Wouldn't give up. I only started playing again 6 yrs ago after 15yrs away from it and i've lost count number of bands i've been in. I live in countryside and need to travel a minimum 20-40 miles no matter what band it is.

Dave

Hmmmmm, good it isn't. Start up bands are difficult, always have been. But if you can get the right people there is nowt better.

I was in a start up that I thought was going to be the best band I had ever been a part of. We had a great keys player who could play anything, by ear. Play him something, once and he picked it up. A guitarist who played subtle and tasteful parts at an appropriate volume. A bassist who was happy to sit on a groove all night if it was appropriate and had great backing vocals. Me on drums, and I felt I really had to raise my game to play with these guys, but it was magic. And a vocalist who had never sung with a band before.

First problem. The vocalist just could not get it, he could not remember lyrics, could not grasp when to come in, and after a wasted 3 months we had to get rid of him. Next a wonderful female singer comes to try out. Boy can she sing, such feel and tone. Yep she is well up for the band. After four rehearsals she decides her health is an issue and leaves. Back to square one. To cut a long story short, after 3 more failed vocalists we get one who is ok but nowt special. He is a bit of a kn*b so the guitarist leaves. Doh. We get a new guitarist who is, to be charitable, not up to it, I get fed up as its 14 months now since we first got together and its going nowhere and without the old guitarist the magic has gone, so I jack it.

I am still looking, as a bassist, and I am still hopeful, but an existing band is easier.

Your a lucky fella indeed ,thanks everyone to form a band that play good music ,my last band we gigged every wknd for 3 years but it became a chore in the end and not much fun at all this one would be maybe one gig a month if it ever comes to fruition

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1487807611' post='3243222']
Your a lucky fella indeed ,thanks everyone to form a band that play good music ,my last band we gigged every wknd for 3 years but it became a chore in the end and not much fun at all [u]this one would be maybe one gig a month[/u] if it ever comes to fruition
[/quote]

I didn't think you got to choose unless you were a retired superstar. I like the notion though.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1487803757' post='3243178']
I joined a gigging band in my home town that practises exactly one mile from my home. Looking at the effort and time that many people put in to being in bands, I forget sometimes how lucky I am.
[/quote]

Me too, if my band folded, finding a new band with a lot of work, with good people would be impossible.

Blue

I dunno. Personal experience and all that, but I've always found that something turns up eventually, even if there have been a few months, even a couple of years, being not in bands or even particularly active in looking for something.

Maybe I'm just lucky that a lot of the people I know are in bands, and eventually one of them is going to need a bass player. the only band I ever played guitar in was an invite from a drummer I've known since we were in teenage bands together who rang me to ask "our guitarist has just quit - you've got a guitar haven't you? It can't be that hard".

So, nil desperandum and all that. Don't give up hope, and just be ready as and when something comes up.

Actually I'd highly recommend Facebook for finding musicians. The BandMix and JoinMyBand type sites tend to be pretty rubbish in my opinion. There's loads of Facebook groups for musicains. I was searching for musicians using exclusively Facebook and within about 4 months have managed to put a 6 piece band together. Didn't have anywhere near that kind of result using any of the band classified sites.

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1487791582' post='3243009']
Well just when I thought my new band was coming together it all goes tits up really the singer as no PA that he said he had the guitarist whos very good as buggered off with another band all from join my band think I'll go as a one man bass band as trying to form this new venture just not happening I do miss the city sometimes for the music scene I love my little town but finding musicians who haven't been snapped up already isn't easy I'm even thinking playing guitar again and getting my mate in on bass sad times indeed but needs must I'm afraid can someone talk some sense into me before it's to late and I cross back over to the dark side oh bugger, any other band forums kicking about for my never ending quest before it's to late
[/quote]

A singer with no PA, come across loads of them.
It would be like me turning up for a band audition with just my bass and no amp.

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1487854870' post='3243547']
Agreed, well said blue
[/quote]

Check out Bass Player Wanted in Milwaukee Rocks

http://www.milwaukeerocks.com/classifieds.asp?cat=1013

None of these opportunities would be a match for me.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1487878760' post='3243871']
Check out Bass Player Wanted in Milwaukee Rocks

[url="http://www.milwaukeerocks.com/classifieds.asp?cat=1013"]http://www.milwaukee...ds.asp?cat=1013[/url]

None of these opportunities would be a match for me.

Blue
[/quote]

I thought you might have been tempted by the Welsh Christian one at least Blue.
[url="http://www.milwaukeerocks.com/classifieds.asp?xid=69643"]http://www.milwaukee...s.asp?xid=69643[/url]

Joking aside, have you a local area called Wales or is that really for the country of Wales?

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1487888377' post='3244007']

I thought you might have been tempted by the Welsh Christian one at least Blue.
[url="http://www.milwaukeerocks.com/classifieds.asp?xid=69643"]http://www.milwaukee...s.asp?xid=69643[/url]

Joking aside, have you a local area called Wales or is that really for the country of Wales?
[/quote]

It's Local area called Wales.
You can see that advertised opportunities are weak.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1487891384' post='3244037']
It's Local area called Wales.
You can see that advertised opportunities are weak.

Blue
[/quote]

Yes. What I remember about JMB (JoinMyBand dot co dot uk) when it worked for me was that there seemed to be a healthy amount of turnover in between the bumps and repeats. Seems the site owner isn't bothered sorting out my log-in issues however so it's a dud now. I believe it is run by a chap from home who isn't really into web publishing.

I understand your approach from various postings about your career change late in life. You done good by the sound of it.

Much respect.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1487892234' post='3244044']

Yes. What I remember about JMB (JoinMyBand dot co dot uk) when it worked for me was that there seemed to be a healthy amount of turnover in between the bumps and repeats. Seems the site owner isn't bothered sorting out my log-in issues however so it's a dud now. I believe it is run by a chap from home who isn't really into web publishing.

I understand your approach from various postings about your career change late in life. You done good by the sound of it.

Much respect.
[/quote]

Thanks,

I guess it depends where you live and what your looking for.

In my little corner of the world, If your merely looking for guys to play with I think you can find something. There's lots of "start ups" and originals bands opportunities.

However, we never see any opportunities with established working bands making money advertised publicly.

Blue

Edited by blue

My advice? Try and jump into bed with an already established singer / guitarist / drummer and start something that way. A local 'character'.

I'm fairly local to to Nantwich and the scene is incredibly incestuous around that area. I see the same players in different variations of the same band and if you aren't in 'the clique' you don't get a chance.

Maybe it is like that everywhere.

It's very "cliquey" around here. I'm on the outskirts of the clique but trying to get further in, even after 20 years, is almost impossible.

The better local bands seem to have some very long term associations with bass players, going back 30 and in one case 40 years. You really can't break into those circles until someone dies! Even then the regular deps go back nearly that far!!

Stay with it.

I started a band in March 2016 - all was going well until in our first proper gig last September we discovered that our singer was snorting coke, .

That; coupled with a couple of heated, throwing his toys out of the pram incidents and I had no choice but to tell him where to go and find a replacement.

I was gutted to have the project set back to almost square one, but it had to happen as I didn't want the band to be tarnished with any drug-related activities; or a raving diva in our midst.

Found our replacement singer 3 weeks later and we played our first gig with the new line-up last night - the band is sounding better than ever; everyone is fired-up and the future is looking good.

By the way; the vocalist, keyboardist and guitarist all joined through Joinmyband.

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1488099379' post='3245718']
My advice? Try and jump into bed with an already established singer / guitarist / drummer and start something that way. A local 'character'.

I'm fairly local to to Nantwich and the scene is incredibly incestuous around that area. I see the same players in different variations of the same band and if you aren't in 'the clique' you don't get a chance.

Maybe it is like that everywhere.
[/quote]

This is sometimes referred to as the Fleetwood Mac shuffle. Not sure why...

I will assume that you aren't really citing incest. I do agree that things can be very cliquey. I am on the edge of a local clique right now but it is one that I do not care to be a part of unless on a professional basis. It is enough to rub shoulders at open mic nights without being too matey with certain characters.

[quote name='Krysbass' timestamp='1488105263' post='3245789']
Stay with it.

I started a band in March 2016 - all was going well until in our first proper gig last September we discovered that our singer was snorting coke, .

That; coupled with a couple of heated, throwing his toys out of the pram incidents and I had no choice but to tell him where to go and find a replacement.

I was gutted to have the project set back to almost square one, but it had to happen as I didn't want the band to be tarnished with any drug-related activities; or a raving diva in our midst.

Found our replacement singer 3 weeks later and we played our first gig with the new line-up last night - the band is sounding better than ever; everyone is fired-up and the future is looking good.

By the way; the vocalist, keyboardist and guitarist all joined through Joinmyband.
[/quote]

Good man! It shows backbone on your part and I think your decision will serve you well. Performers can be on the arrogant side to start with. Bolivian marching powder makes them intolerable to be around.

I sometimes hear what I think of as a cokey nasal quality in a singer's voice and I wonder how long it'll be before they end up with just one massive nostril to go with the massive ego trip.

It's very cliquey around here ,I did have a opportunity a few months with a drummer m8 ,but we smelt a rat as the person I can't mention names case anyone knows said person as he was looking at forming a new band and was texting my mate Larry the drummer behind my back , not his real name of course who was forwarding his texts to me ,apparently he's was just trying to poach other bands muso's and had used me but already had his m8 lined up to play bass for him who's in the clique what a arsehole ,my m8 told him to f*** off and said we come as a pair .me and my m8 go back 20 years and have worked together in the past but he was going to dep for us as he has his own band and gig commitments, so I have two very good drummers but finding the rest is a nightmare,might give Facebook ago also