Why become a member? ×

Donald Fagen. Check his bass playing out.!

bubinga5

Ive been listening to this album for a long time, but didn't realise Donald was playing the bass synth on this record under the name of Harian Post. Why.? I'm not sure.

But what a bass line.!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feBV-d4X8Cw&list=PLUaelUnfaBtQ3Tn7qHOo9ZRAfyptuj_ro&index=7

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1487823109' post='3243256']
Ive been listening to this album for a long time, but didn't realise Donald was playing the bass synth on this record under the name of Harian Post. Why.? I'm not sure.

But what a bass line.!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feBV-d4X8Cw&list=PLUaelUnfaBtQ3Tn7qHOo9ZRAfyptuj_ro&index=7
[/quote]

Yes, that Bass line is a good one from Harian.

Also, a great set of chord changes on 'Good Stuff'.

'Phonus Quaver' is another name he used somewhere.
I found that quite amusing as well.:)

Edited by lowdown

Thanks B5,
Postman Pat has just delivered my latest Amazon purchase: Sunken Condos, and I'm in the goove right now as I work.
Always been a Dan fan, but went severley off them after paying good money to watch them destroy all my favourite songs at Wembly Arena circa 1996, ( I had to walk out).
Mind you I loved and still love Nightfly, despite seeing an unfavourable review of it on this forum a few weeks ago.

Edited by Phil Adams

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1487941750' post='3244389']

Mind you I loved and still love Nightfly, despite seeing an unfavourable review of it on this forum a few weeks ago.
[/quote]

Yes, made me chuckle. :)
I think it is a great album, and considering this is a Bass Players forum,
the amount of serious Bass work on that album goes completely under the Radar.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1487834473' post='3243277']
Yes, that Bass line is a good one from Harian.

Also, a great set of chord changes on 'Good Stuff'.

'Phonus Quaver' is another name he used somewhere.
I found that quite amusing as well. :)
[/quote]What must go through his mind with the stories and character's he thinks up.! One of the most creative musicians alive. Tis why I've always love Dan.

Edited by bubinga5

There is no other reason to post this apart from the fact its Steely Dan and its a f***ing awesome record. Oh and Jeff Baxter and his amazing guitar playing. He just makes this record for me. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm41rphRTfk[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1487941750' post='3244389']
Thanks B5,

Always been a Dan fan, but went severley off them after paying good money to watch them destroy all my favourite songs at Wembly Arena circa 1996, ( I had to walk out).

[/quote]

You and me, and the 6 guys with me all left early, bitterly disappointed, promising to shoot the sound man if we ever found out who he was.

[quote name='bumnote' timestamp='1488147999' post='3246358']
You and me, and the 6 guys with me all left early, bitterly disappointed, promising to shoot the sound man if we ever found out who he was.
[/quote]Wow, i would be so disappointed if i went to see SD and it wasn't the amazing Steely dan. I assume it was a back of the house problem.?

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1488148782' post='3246365']
Wow, i would be so disappointed if i went to see SD and it wasn't the amazing Steely dan. I assume it was a back of the house problem.?
[/quote]

we had missed the show in 74 because they cancelled. and we waited another 20 odd years to get the opportunity to see what was one of my favorite bands of all time. I went up with a bunch of friends/musicians and sat at the side of the hall towards the back. The sound was awfull and made worse because we got a sound reflection off the back wall about a second after we heard it the first time. Considering they were so particular and achieved such clarity and quality in their recordings we were hoping for a good live sound which we just didnt get.

Although it didnt really bother me, in that 20 odd years they had become far more jazzy/ if thats the right word, Walter played guitar, I cant remember if there was a second guitar, but we were hoping for some of those biting solos from the earlier albums, but it sounded more like jazz noodling to me than reelin in the years

It was extremely disappointing, and I guess we had built our expectations up to a level that would have been difficult to achieve.

[quote name='bumnote' timestamp='1488151403' post='3246397']
we had missed the show in 74 because they cancelled. and we waited another 20 odd years to get the opportunity to see what was one of my favorite bands of all time. I went up with a bunch of friends/musicians and sat at the side of the hall towards the back. The sound was awfull and made worse because we got a sound reflection off the back wall about a second after we heard it the first time. Considering they were so particular and achieved such clarity and quality in their recordings we were hoping for a good live sound which we just didnt get.

Although it didnt really bother me, in that 20 odd years they had become far more jazzy/ if thats the right word, Walter played guitar, I cant remember if there was a second guitar, but we were hoping for some of those biting solos from the earlier albums, but it sounded more like jazz noodling to me than reelin in the years

It was extremely disappointing, and I guess we had built our expectations up to a level that would have been difficult to achieve.

[/quote]Extremely disappointing is an understatement. Im sorry that happened. Live music can be quite unpredictable i guess.

[/quote]This will in no way make up for your disappointment. But i hope a little joy comes from this classic from Alive In America. The album is amazing. so much groove. :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqKC38A8QjI

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1488155222' post='3246423']
Seems I've strayed a little. Im not sure if Donald played this synth bass line.

But it is just superb in every way. wonderful music. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5LSRrAwUtA[/media]
[/quote]

[quote name='jd2112' timestamp='1488157816' post='3246429']
That's Will Lee playing bass
[/quote]Are you sure its Will Lee.?

[color=#252525][font=sans-serif]On "Walk Between the Raindrops", they combined bass parts playing on a [/font][/color][url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_bass"]keyboard bass[/url][color=#252525][font=sans-serif] and [/font][/color][url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_guitar"]bass guitar[/url][color=#252525][font=sans-serif]. Doubling bass lines would "become common practice on many records ,"[/font][/color]

Edited by bubinga5

It was indeed Will Lee, doubling the Bass Synth of Phil Phillanganes.
The whole 'Nightfly' album is chock full of outstanding Bass playing.

EDIT: Here is an old Basschat post regarding 'Raindrops' with a notated chart,
along with the chord changes.
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/59948-walk-between-the-raindrops/

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1488307417' post='3247780']
Just on the Fagan/bass thing, I'd highly recommend the bass and drum mixes that turned up on the b-sides of some of the Kamakiriad period singles. Beautiful stuff.
[/quote]

Are you talking about this (Among others), NancyJohnson?
If so, yes great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IoVcBo0eDg

[/quote]

I may have posted this before but in 74 managed to see SD at Leeds University: full band plus Mike McDonald and David Palmer too. So impressed we hitchhiked to Scarborough the following Wednesday to see them ( got a lift with this crazy woman who was drinking sherry as she drove...) got to the venue to find it was cancelled.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1488308253' post='3247796']
Are you talking about this (Among others), NancyJohnson?
[/quote]

Nope! I just checked on my NAS. On tge CD single for Snowblind, there's isolated bass/drum/vocal mixes of Snowblind and Trans-Island Skyway.