Why become a member? ×

TC electronic heads... Persuade me!

uk_lefty

I see a lot of TC Electronic gear going for good process second hand. I'm going to be in the market for a head soon and considering their 500w head. I'm in two minds on this stuff as I'm sceptical over the toneprint feature as a bit of a gimmick, I remember trying a Line 6 amp with loads of built in effects and finding all of them completely unusable and that has put me off any extra bells and whistles, not to mention that without those the amp itself was uninspiring. My perceived "fact" that so much TC bass gear goes second hand makes me think people don't hold on to them long so they could be lacking something?
Having said all that, someone on this forum recently said pick a toneprint you like and don't change it. Seems sensible advice, I reckon the Duff McKagan sound would suit most of my bands stuff. Also the portability and ability to be clean or dirty suits me. Also the price suits me too. So I could be persuaded. 500w is sufficient for my needs at present but there's just that nagging doubt about the toneprint stuff.
So, persuade me to take a punt on one or warn me off it?

I've been using TC gear for about 5 years now. Main rig is the BH800, RS210 and RS212 with a BH250 as a backup head.

The advice to pick a toneprint and stick with it is pretty much how I've operated. It's nice to play with for a while, but I can't see myself ever changing TPs mid gig. I've gone with the compressor with dirt on TP1 and a subtle octaver on TP2 (I'd tell you the names but for the life of me can't remember them), switching between the two as needed using the foot switch.

All in all, I've never had an issue with the current kit, it's light, fits in the car and sound good to my ears.

I have a BH550. It's clean and very hi-fi sounding with loads of grunt on tap. In regards to the Toneprints, I just use the Spectracomp toneprint, which is utterly sublime and tubedrive on the other, which again is a very useable effect. All in all it's a brilliant little head.

I have the RH750 and the RS210 cabs. I probably use the cabs more than the head, but I've been very pleased with TC's bass range. The RS210 is a fantastic little powerhouse and fits in the house quite well as a bonus.

Now prices have changed, I've no idea how they compare, but I still think its a good range.

Of course, most TC owners will post that they like them.

Like any amp, there will be those who've tried and didn't like them. Common reasons include: lack of perceived grunt, TC lied about the power of the RH450, GAS took them elsewhere.

I love my RH450, so much so that I have two of them - one for my 2x12 gig rig, and one for my 1x10 home rig, which gives me a spare. If I were buying now, I'd buy the RH750 - not for the extra power or the tweetertone, but mainly to give me the Spectracomp on the main front panel all the time, rather than tucked behind the shift mode.

I was less excited by the speakers - but that was more the form factor than functionality.
Key features for me: lightweight, compact, powerful, built in tuner, compressor & valvetone

I'd chip in with a counterpoint oppinion. I've tried the BH250 and the BH550 and I found both rather disapointing. Both times was via TC branded cabs, but I must admit I forget which. I honestly found the lacked bottom end and sounded quite thin to my ear. I tried one right next to a Hartke 3500 and there was no comparrison at least to my mind. Saying that, perhaps you are looking for a different sound to me :)

I have a TC450 and more than happy with it. I also have two of the 112 speakers, which are fantastic, because I can carry them with one hand and they don't hurt my knee (which is screwed). I went from a GK 4x10 which had a good sound but too much effort carrying into gigs.

I have tried a lot of the other small amps, some are good, some less so, nothing that really persuaded me to change.

I started with the Staccato which I liked a lot but I was often running it at over noon on the volumes (a couple of very loud bands), so I upgraded to the RH750 which sounded even better and was louder than I needed. I used mine with Bergantino cabs and the overall sound was very good. I occasionally used the RH750 to run 3 Bergantino cabs at 2.6 ohms. Worked a treat.

I only sold the RH750 to fund my Thunderfunk when it came on the market.

I`ve had a few, Classic 450 which I gigged a fair bit, an RH450 which was a backup - and luckliy never used as my main amp didn`t blow up - and a BC250, also as backup which I let a couple of other bands gig with. The combination of the spectracomp and tubetone on the Classic 450 were a winner for me, however for me there was always a slight nasal honk about the amp that stopped me from being really won over by it.

I have a TC Electronic BH500 and I love it! It's not a Micro amp like the RH heads or the newer BH heads. It is fairly light for an old school style amplifier head though (It's a comfortable one hand carry with it's handle.).
The cons are that it has no effects loop, the sole Speakon cable socket isn't a combo input that can take 1/4" jacks and it's not-if you are a purist-a valve amp.
The rest of the pros are that it's features are great. I can echo the sentiments about the Tubetone & Spectracomp. They sound fantastic together! The onboard tuner is always handy. The Post EQ DI is great too. It handles effects pedals really well. And most importantly, it's nice and loud!
I would also say that when my band's been lucky enough to headline gigs, the support bands who have used my rig have been very complementary about how it sounds too(My band's an indie rock band that goes from being bluesy to punky. The other bands have ranged from Dance to Blues to Indie/Indie rock to Prog and Glam.)!
Hope this helps if you are still undecided.

I have a TC Electronic BH500 and I love it! It's not a Micro amp like the RH heads or the newer BH heads. It is fairly light for an old school style amplifier head though (It's a comfortable one hand carry with it's handle.).
The cons are that it has no effects loop, the sole Speakon cable socket isn't a combo input that can take 1/4" jacks and it's not-if you are a purist-a valve amp.
The rest of the pros are that it's features are great. I can echo the sentiments about the Tubetone & Spectracomp. They sound fantastic together! The onboard tuner is always handy. The Post EQ DI is great too. It handles effects pedals really well. And most importantly, it's nice and loud!
I would also say that when my band's been lucky enough to headline gigs, the support bands who have used my rig have been very complementary about how it sounds too(My band's an indie rock band that goes from being bluesy to punky. The other bands have ranged from Dance to Blues to Indie/Indie rock to Prog and Glam.)!

I'm a big TC freak - aside from my bass gear I run a lot of TC Helicon vocal gear and swear by it. But on the subject of bass amplification, I have a lot of love for my BH800. More power than I'll ever need, well thought out EQ section, small and light enough to fit in the front pocket of my bass case. I do prefer the overall sound of the BH range over the RH personally.

[quote]The BH 800 was a massive disappointment, no beans and the Toneprints I tried were just horribly synthetic.
Plenty love 'em though.
[/quote]

This has me worried. I'm yet to properly gig mine! I never use the TonePrints though as my pedals have that covered.

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1488042400' post='3245346']
This has me worried. I'm yet to properly gig mine! I never use the TonePrints though as my pedals have that covered.
[/quote]

Mate of mine has a BH550 (bought to replace a set of failing LH1000's) and he thinks it's got as much grunt and loves it..

[quote name='indiegrungesound' timestamp='1488033570' post='3245215']
[/quote]

I was a long term MarkBass user but after a fail on a show i decided to buy something new. I initially bought old school format BH500. A good amp but wasn't quite modern sounding.

I went to Andertons in Guildford who had a deal going on a RH head around the same time as the BH800 came out.
I tried them back to back using a SIRE v7 5 string and found the RH was a rounder sound overall and lacked the outright attack of the BH (even though the BH was slightly cheaper.)
I also tried the equivalent MarkBass head in the same price range (along with various cabs).

My advice is to do the same and play with cabs as well. In the end I bought the BH800 and a TC 4*10 and am very happy with it.