Why become a member? ×

First Bass, anything I'm missing?

crompers

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1487944045' post='3244411']
Well, it's not the bass for me, but the OP said he wanted to do metal and doom stuff, and it would fit right in!
[/quote]

Totally agree it looks awesome. Just think that for a new player choosing something that balances well is probably an important point else playing is going to be much more difficult and bad habits will grow.

I know the OP is looking for his own first bass, but the Warwick having a high action doesn't mean Warwicks have a high action. It only means THAT Warwick needs a set up.

There are some Warwicks out there at silly money right now too.

Here's a link to the vids for setting up a Warwick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NEXH61OCJY&list=RDbo_BmdQfaGI&index=2

Edited by Grangur

Just a quick suggestion but you might want to check out the ESP/LTD range of basses. They make some very nice 'metal' instruments and the quality seems to be fantastic. The prices are very reasonable too.

[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_f4e_ns.htm"]https://www.thomann...._ltd_f4e_ns.htm[/url] go for around the £650.00 mark new but I've seen 2nd hand ones go for well within your budget range.

Edited by Naetharu

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've been having a think and I definitely reckon a jazz of some description is probably going to be best.

I reckon I might pick up a Sire but also got an eye on the classifieds here.

Don't really want to fiddle with the Warwick tbh as its not mine

I hope you are learning the notes on the fretboard whilst playing Rocksmith

If I hear you saying "3rd fret red string" there will be some splainin to do hehe

don't knock the Squier VM and CV range, probably the best value for money new.

used MIM Jazz and P basses from 2010 onwards would be a good buy too

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1488179047' post='3246453']
I hope you are learning the notes on the fretboard whilst playing Rocksmith

If I hear you saying "3rd fret red string" there will be some splainin to do hehe

don't knock the Squier VM and CV range, probably the best value for money new.

used MIM Jazz and P basses from 2010 onwards would be a good buy too
[/quote]

Haha, I'm using Rocksmith as my 'Fun time Rocking out after a few beers' stuff.

Other than that at the moment I'm learning C major scale, trying to get this shape absolutely down before I move on, thinking of buying the Scotts Bass Lessons membership.

I'm currently in talks with someone about buying a slightly knocked about MiM Jazz, its had active pickups added but I'll probably try and grab a second hand set of original pickups and try those out at some point, I'm fairly handy and can manage a soldering iron to a reasonable standard.

I quite like the idea of getting something that has been well used and that I don't mind fiddling with (I like fiddling).

[quote name='crompers' timestamp='1488211501' post='3246827']

I quite like the idea of getting something that has been well used and that I don't mind fiddling with (I like fiddling).
[/quote]The beauty of mainstream Fenders is their ability to be upgraded and messed around with. It's part of the fun for me.

I'm currently in talks with someone about buying a slightly knocked about MiM Jazz, its had active pickups added but I'll probably try and grab a second hand set of original pickups and try those out at some point, I'm fairly handy and can manage a soldering iron to a reasonable standard.
[/quote]

I'd try get that if you can, you can't go wrong with a Fender jazz in a stoner/doom band!
Also nice to see another Elder fan roaming these parts too :D

Haha, I'm using Rocksmith as my 'Fun time Rocking out after a few beers' stuff.

Other than that at the moment I'm learning C major scale, trying to get this shape absolutely down before I move on, thinking of buying the Scotts Bass Lessons membership.
[/quote]

Rocksmith is a fantastic tool to have, regardless of your skill level. Aside from anything else it means that you're playing along with music right away which is perhaps the most important thing. It also has a great variety of music on there, especially if you import the tracks from the original version (I assume you're using 2014, which is the practice tool, rather than the classic version from 2012 which was more Guitar Hero with real guitars).

I'd never recommend someone learns ONLY from Rocksmith, but I would certainly suggest it be something everyone has as part of their practice routine. It's just so easy and fun to get playing good music, and it will make you try things from styles that you might otherwise ignore.

I'd also point you in the direction of Mark Smith and his Talking Bass channel. He's a fantastic player, great tutor and has some top notch lessons on there. I took some 1-2-1 lessons with him too, and he was really good. Worth every penny.

Finally, I would say that when it comes to scales, starting with the major is the right way to go. Basically all scales are just modifications of the major scale. However, I would advise that you think about it in terms of intervals rather than fret-board patterns. This was a tip Mark gave me when I was just starting out and it opened up the fret board for me over night. It'll also pay massive dividends when you come to thinking about different keys, scales and chord tones.

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1488278363' post='3247429']
I'd try get that if you can, you can't go wrong with a Fender jazz in a stoner/doom band!
Also nice to see another Elder fan roaming these parts too :D
[/quote]

Been my obsession for a coupla years mate, seen em twice own all the vinyls etc. Spoke to Nick at the lastest gig in Manchester, really lovely fella and they absolutely killed it.

The bass tone on Dead Roots Stirring is my perfect sound, grotty, growly, punchy.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1488284706' post='3247491']
Rocksmith is a fantastic tool to have, regardless of your skill level. Aside from anything else it means that you're playing along with music right away which is perhaps the most important thing. It also has a great variety of music on there, especially if you import the tracks from the original version (I assume you're using 2014, which is the practice tool, rather than the classic version from 2012 which was more Guitar Hero with real guitars).

I'd never recommend someone learns ONLY from Rocksmith, but I would certainly suggest it be something everyone has as part of their practice routine. It's just so easy and fun to get playing good music, and it will make you try things from styles that you might otherwise ignore.

I'd also point you in the direction of Mark Smith and his Talking Bass channel. He's a fantastic player, great tutor and has some top notch lessons on there. I took some 1-2-1 lessons with him too, and he was really good. Worth every penny.

Finally, I would say that when it comes to scales, starting with the major is the right way to go. Basically all scales are just modifications of the major scale. However, I would advise that you think about it in terms of intervals rather than fret-board patterns. This was a tip Mark gave me when I was just starting out and it opened up the fret board for me over night. It'll also pay massive dividends when you come to thinking about different keys, scales and chord tones.
[/quote]

Thanks for this I will check out Mark Smith.

By intervals do you mean tones and semi tones?

Rocksmith seems like a good way to get you moving around the fretboard and grooving I think. Although a lot of the stuff I would want to play on there is far too difficult at the moment! (Slayer, Pantera, Mastodon etc)

[quote name='crompers' timestamp='1488285656' post='3247501']
Been my obsession for a coupla years mate, seen em twice own all the vinyls etc. Spoke to Nick at the lastest gig in Manchester, really lovely fella and they absolutely killed it.

The bass tone on Dead Roots Stirring is my perfect sound, grotty, growly, punchy.

Thanks for this I will check out Mark Smith.

By intervals do you mean tones and semi tones?

Rocksmith seems like a good way to get you moving around the fretboard and grooving I think. Although a lot of the stuff I would want to play on there is far too difficult at the moment! (Slayer, Pantera, Mastodon etc)
[/quote]

Aye, by intervals I mean the pitch-differences between notes of the scale. So for the major scale, it goes tone, tone, semi-tone, tone, tone, tone, semi-tone. No matter where you start, if you play notes up in that order you'll produce a major scale. Later on you'll start looking at minor scales and modes, which really are just the same pattern, but starting from a different place. Try playing the major scale in all the different ways you can all the way up and down the strings. All one one string, two notes on each, etc. That will serve you a lot better than learning a 'scale position'.

Oh and in terms of Mastodon, two songs worth checking out that are not too difficult. The first is Oblivion which is actually quite easy(ish) on bass. The most difficult part is the bridge which can be a bit of a finger-twister but if you play it slow to start with and gradually build up speed you'll get there fine. The verse is very simple, just chugging on the low string with a single extra note on the 4 and 6 beat. And the intro is actually very easy to play and sounds awesome as it uses open strings to provide the drone.

The Motherload is also a really nice song to learn, and looks a lot more difficult than it is. The basic song runs up and down the minor scale too which is a great workout for learning that. If you want a hand getting started on either pop me a PM sometime and I'm up for showing you them via Skype.

Cheers mate I'll have another look at Oblivion tonight, one of my fave tracks that one too.

I think I've just been a bit scared by the tempo of some tracks but probably need to get over that.

So far I have 100% on Everlong by the Foos and Ain't No Sunshine by Bill Withers

[quote name='crompers' timestamp='1488285656' post='3247501']

[/quote]

Ah awesome! I caught 'em at Desertfest then again in Coventry last year - blew me away both times!

[quote name='crompers' timestamp='1488297596' post='3247642']
I was also at Desertfest! Wo Fat and Truckfighters, loved it.

Sleep this year dude are you going?
[/quote]

Gutted I missed Wo Fat! The guys I was with wanted to see Electric Wizard instead, they were awesome like but niggles me that I didn't get to see Wo Fat.
Yeah man, ticket & hotel all brought and paid for! Really awesome line-up across the 3 days, just counting down the days! :D

Nice to have another Mastodon fan lurking around! I dug out Crack the Skye this morning for the first time in ages - great record!

As for the first bass situation - it does all depend on personal preference. Although if you don't mind buying second hand/inheriting something with some wear 'n tear, you're bound to find something you like for not much money. I'd say go into a store and decide a few key points (namely, amount of strings, passive vs. active, string spacing, neck profile, pick-up config) and then your decision should be a lot easier and you can get better recommendations from the forums too.

Personally I love my 1980's MIJ Aria SB Special and would highly recommend it!

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1488284706' post='3247491']
[/quote]
[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1488286897' post='3247519']
[...] by intervals I mean the pitch-differences between notes of the scale. So for the major scale, it goes tone, tone, semi-tone, tone, tone, tone, semi-tone. No matter where you start, if you play notes up in that order you'll produce a major scale. Later on you'll start looking at minor scales and modes, which really are just the same pattern, but starting from a different place. Try playing the major scale in all the different ways you can all the way up and down the strings. All one one string, two notes on each, etc. That will serve you a lot better than learning a 'scale position'.
[/quote]

I'm so glad I spotted this. I've been wanting to learn scales etc. but I struggle with knowing where to begin sometimes. A lot of usually helpful YouTube channels seem to have 'beginner' scales videos that are still throwing technical terms around. This kind of thought process would really open things up!

[quote name='Rikki_Sixx' timestamp='1488378722' post='3248417']
I'm so glad I spotted this. I've been wanting to learn scales etc. but I struggle with knowing where to begin sometimes. A lot of usually helpful YouTube channels seem to have 'beginner' scales videos that are still throwing technical terms around. This kind of thought process would really open things up!
[/quote]

Still need to dissect it at the mo but certainly glad of the advice

[quote name='crompers' timestamp='1487856875' post='3243574']
A friend recently lent me a Warwick 5 string to play with and I think I've got the bug, been playing RockSmith and watching some of Scott's videos on Youtube which are very good, starting to learn some scales too. However, he is going to want it back at some point and I also feel like I want a 4 string.

I'm playing mainly rock and soul stuff on Rocksmith at the moment, but when I get a bit better I'm likely to want to play some metal and stoner/doom stuff.

While the Warwick is a nice instrument in many ways the action is pretty high and I find it tough to play so I would like something a bit more comfortable.

So at the moment I'm looking at:

Yamaha TRBX304

Ibanez SRxxx - Is the 400 now discontinued? I can only see the 300 new, really like the style of this beaut:
[url="https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/ibanez-2015-sr400bcw-bass-in-natural-gray-burst-flat#product-details"]https://www.pmtonlin...product-details[/url]

Fender Jazz would be great but obviously very expensive (I don't want a Squier). This almost entirely based on the fact John Paul Jones uses one.

I don't have anything against buying second hand but I would want to try playing that model of bass before I commit, so this is more a list of things I want to try out really.

So my question, is there anything else I should be looking to try or keeping an eye out for on the second hand market?
[/quote]

I own a Sire V7 4-string, and it's my go-to bass. I love everything about it and have found absolutely no fault with it at all. It's the second best money I ever spent on a bass (and that's only because I got the #1 best value for dirt cheap).

[quote name='Ironbar' timestamp='1488391013' post='3248580']
I own a Sire V7 4-string, and it's my go-to bass. I love everything about it and have found absolutely no fault with it at all. It's the second best money I ever spent on a bass (and that's only because I got the #1 best value for dirt cheap).
[/quote]

They do look like very nice instruments, going to see if i can get something good second hand first though.

Just found out one of my friends has started playing drums and is paying for a practice space, could be good!

We are going to try and jam soon so apparently I need to learn Lonely Boy by the Black Keys. Should be interesting since we've both just started messing about with music. In fact I'd go as far as to say it'll be a right racket.