Why become a member? ×

First Bass, anything I'm missing?

crompers

A friend recently lent me a Warwick 5 string to play with and I think I've got the bug, been playing RockSmith and watching some of Scott's videos on Youtube which are very good, starting to learn some scales too. However, he is going to want it back at some point and I also feel like I want a 4 string.

I'm playing mainly rock and soul stuff on Rocksmith at the moment, but when I get a bit better I'm likely to want to play some metal and stoner/doom stuff.

While the Warwick is a nice instrument in many ways the action is pretty high and I find it tough to play so I would like something a bit more comfortable.

So at the moment I'm looking at:

Yamaha TRBX304

Ibanez SRxxx - Is the 400 now discontinued? I can only see the 300 new, really like the style of this beaut:
https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/ibanez-2015-sr400bcw-bass-in-natural-gray-burst-flat#product-details

Fender Jazz would be great but obviously very expensive (I don't want a Squier). This almost entirely based on the fact John Paul Jones uses one.

I don't have anything against buying second hand but I would want to try playing that model of bass before I commit, so this is more a list of things I want to try out really.

So my question, is there anything else I should be looking to try or keeping an eye out for on the second hand market?

Why don't you want a squier? The classic vibe series is outstanding, although I think they're discontinued now.

Also look at the Sire V7. Excellent basses at any money.

Or the Yamaha BB series (424 or 424X) if you'd prefer something more "traditional" than the TRBX.

You should be able to find used example of each wherever you are in the country as they've both sold very well.

Bigwan plus one... The Sire is generally agreed to be pro quality for beginner money. Andre Berry and even Marcus Miller play them. Squiers can command high money, the JV series go for up to a grand - I know Gary Numan's bassist and he plays a JV Squier. If you're into Scott he just put up a video in which he specifically suggests that people can do worse than start with a Squier and maybe upgrade some components. He even cites two serious bassists who play Squiers. See time code 9:12 in this video [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d0-MzMwfrc."]https://www.youtube....?v=1d0-MzMwfrc.[/url]

What sort of music do you like /want to play? Do you like modern active bass sounds, thumpy gravelly P bass sounds, or jazz bass sounds? That will clearly define what sort of bass you need to look at. Budget?

Edited by lownote12

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1487857875' post='3243594']

Or the Yamaha BB series (424 or 424X) if you'd prefer something more "traditional" than the TRBX.

[/quote]

This, I reckon. I bought a BB425 as a back up 5er but use it lots.

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1487858306' post='3243599']
Bigwan plus one... The Sire is generally agreed to be pro quality for beginner money. Andre Berry and even Marcus Miller play them. Squiers can command high money, the JV series go for up to a grand - I know Gary Numan's bassist and he plays a JV Squier. If you're into Scott he just put up a video in which he specifically suggests that people can do worse than start with a Squier and maybe upgrade some components. He even cites two serious bassists who play Squiers. See time code 9:12 in this video [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d0-MzMwfrc."]https://www.youtube....?v=1d0-MzMwfrc.[/url]

What sort of music do you like /want to play? Do you like modern active bass sounds, thumpy gravelly P bass sounds, or jazz bass sounds? That will clearly define what sort of bass you need to look at. Budget?
[/quote]

OK I will check out that video, I guess I just always associated Squier with the Argos catalogue but I have an open mind!

I like a lot of guitar based music but my starting points are Zeppelin and Sabbath, I also like some prog King Crimson etc and a lot of the new wave psych rock that is coming out at the moment (King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, All Them Witches)

If I was to say one sound that I would like to emulate at the moment its Jack Donovan from Elder who uses a Jazz. Massive sound and quite growly in the low end.

In the end I would like to join a band and play Stoner/Doom.

Thanks for suggestions so far I will check them out.

Budget £300-400 (£400 for something special), I should say that I wont be buying an amp just yet and will be running it through my PC soundcard (Asus Essence STX) and monitors (Presonus Eris 4.5)

With that money and you're looking for a jazz or jazz clone if it were me I would look no further than the Sire. Massive sound, very serious bass yet you can currently get one new from Thomanns ( the only place to buy them) for £338 including shipping to the UK. When they do come up 2nd hand which is rare the alder 4 string is about £275 ish. Check out Andre Berry playing one with Sanborn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-_D5bpeF1Y .

Budget 300/400 quid? You're not far off a used mexican jazz from this site - there's usually a few kicking about.

Dont buy new!!!! Get something secondhand from here and if you dont get on with it you can usually flip it without much of a loss (consider it a rental fee if you lose a bit). As you're quite new at the game you may find it takes a few attempts to get something you really settle with

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1487859978' post='3243636']
Budget 300/400 quid? You're not far off a used mexican jazz from this site - there's usually a few kicking about.

Dont buy new!!!! Get something secondhand from here and if you dont get on with it you can usually flip it without much of a loss (consider it a rental fee if you lose a bit). As you're quite new at the game you may find it takes a few attempts to get something you really settle with
[/quote]

Really? I haven't seen a genuine Fender for any less than £600 tbh.

As I say I'm not against buying second hand I just want to be able to play the model first and make sure its comfortable, so I'll probably be going into a few guitar shops to try things out and then keeping and eye out for them second hand.

The good thing about my situation is I have the Warwick so I can take my time and still have something to play.

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1487859939' post='3243635']
With that money and you're looking for a jazz or jazz clone if it were me I would look no further than the Sire. Massive sound, very serious bass yet you can currently get one new from Thomanns ( the only place to buy them) for £338 including shipping to the UK. When they do come up 2nd hand which is rare the alder 4 string is about £275 ish. Check out Andre Berry playing one with Sanborn [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-_D5bpeF1Y"]https://www.youtube....h?v=K-_D5bpeF1Y[/url] .
[/quote]

Thanks I'll check this out for sure, do shops tend to stock them?

Edited by crompers

First, welcome to bass playing! Always good to have new people playing and joining the forums here J
The bass choices you mention are all good solid options and I’m pretty sure you will be happy with any of them.

I’ve never owned a Yamaha myself, but I have had the pleasure of trying a couple and they’ve all been very nice basses that would do anyone proud. They have a very good reputation for quality and value around these parts too and I’m sure you’ll find more than a few people offering positive testimonials.

I do own an Ibanez SR-300 and I can certainly say that it is a very good quality instrument. The build quality is great. But also the electronics are top notch which is often where the cheaper basses can fall down. It comes with a three band on-board EQ that works really well. It has quite a bright sound, very modern and crisp. You might be disappointed if you’re after more of a classic P-bass tone but aside from that it is great. The only warning I would offer is that the necks on the SR basses are very narrow and thin (i.e. small both across the fret-board and front-to-back). I found this caused me to get cramps in my hands when playing for long periods of time. If you have big hands, perhaps try one out first before committing.

Out of interest, why would you not consider the Squire? That is just Fender’s range comparable to the SR-300 etc. In all cases you’re going to be looking at a factory-build mass-production bass made somewhere in China/Indonesia/Korea. By all accounts the Squire range are rather nice these days. I had a Vintage Modern P-bass as my first instrument and it was very playable indeed.

If you happen to be anywhere near Essex and want to pop around and try my SR you’re most welcome by the way.

[quote name='crompers' timestamp='1487860666' post='3243650']
Thanks I'll check this out for sure, do shops tend to stock them?
[/quote]

That's the kicker... they can only be had from Thomanns in Germany. BUT they have a returns policy so if you buy and don't like you can send it back with no bones broken. Or see if there's an owner near you who can let you try it out.

Edited by lownote12

I don't know what a Rocksmith is but otherwise; set-up/action is not generally a brand specific thing, yes the Warwick you've borrowed has a high action for you but that doesn't mean they all will or that changing brands to a different make will get rid of the issue.

I think the BB424x's are great basses for the money - I was really impressed by the one I played the other week.

Buying used is always a great idea for basses but especially when looking at the cheapy/generic-looking stuff like the bottom end Yamaha's & most Ibanez's - they just come up so frequently used the prices just drop off a cliff.

Some Squiers can be decent but some are absolute rubbish and some of the used ones are ridiculously over priced for what they are.

The best thing you can do is take your money & spend a load of time in whatever music shops you can get to then have a noodle on everything they'll let you touch. Then buy whichever is the nicest you can afford!

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1487861041' post='3243658']
That's the kicker... they can only be had from Thomanns in Germany. BUT they have a returns policy so if you buy and don't like you can send it back with no bones broken. Or see if there's an owner near you who can let you try it out.
[/quote]

I'm guessing the dimensions are the same as the Jazz? Could maybe just try a Jazz for the fit. This Andre Berry guy is off the chain by the way.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1487860701' post='3243652']
I do own an Ibanez SR-300 and I can certainly say that it is a very good quality instrument. The build quality is great. But also the electronics are top notch which is often where the cheaper basses can fall down. It comes with a three band on-board EQ that works really well. It has quite a bright sound, very modern and crisp. You might be disappointed if you’re after more of a classic P-bass tone but aside from that it is great. The only warning I would offer is that the necks on the SR basses are very narrow and thin (i.e. small both across the fret-board and front-to-back). I found this caused me to get cramps in my hands when playing for long periods of time. If you have big hands, perhaps try one out first before committing.
[/quote]

Great info and thanks for the offer but I'm in Manchester! I am 6' 3" so I guess that thin neck could cause me a problem.

Edited by crompers

The Yamaha BB424 puches well above it's price bracket and it should be pretty easy to try out in a shop as a lot of places stock them.

I wouldn't worry to much about the action at this point in your journey. I takes a while to build up strength in the fretting hand, everything becomes a lot easier over time, plus string easily adjusheight is easily adjustable on most basses.

have a look at this too.....not mine i might add

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/300376-bass-collection-jive-bass/page__hl__jazz__fromsearch__1

or this

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/300039-fsft-fender-standard-jazz-2000-midnight-blue/page__p__3237609__hl__jazz__fromsearch__1#entry3237609

[quote name='crompers' timestamp='1487859532' post='3243624']
OK I will check out that video, I guess I just always associated Squier with the Argos catalogue but I have an open mind!

I like a lot of guitar based music but my starting points are Zeppelin and Sabbath, I also like some prog King Crimson etc and a lot of the new wave psych rock that is coming out at the moment (King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, All Them Witches)

If I was to say one sound that I would like to emulate at the moment its Jack Donovan from Elder who uses a Jazz. Massive sound and quite growly in the low end.

In the end I would like to join a band and play Stoner/Doom.

Thanks for suggestions so far I will check them out.

Budget £300-400 (£400 for something special), I should say that I wont be buying an amp just yet and will be running it through my PC soundcard (Asus Essence STX) and monitors (Presonus Eris 4.5)
[/quote]
If you shop around, you can get something good in that price range.

[quote name='crompers' timestamp='1487883327' post='3243939']
I'll defo take a look at the Yamaha. Any opinions on a farida fjb 20? Can see one for sale at £180. Nice looking bass.
[/quote]

Think the Farida is basically a generic bass that Dawsons seem to feature a lot. Probably out of the same factory as a number of well known brands and as such same bass but cheaper. The good thing is you can try one at Dawsons in Manchester. Downside, resale value unpredictable if you decide you don't like it.
I'd get down to PMT and Dawsons and try as many basses as you can and then get a 2nd hand one of what you fancy.
Another one questioning the "no Squier" comment. I have 2 custom ACG's and also a Squier VM P Bass. The Squier is astonishing value for money.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1487926450' post='3244125']
Think the Farida is basically a generic bass that Dawsons seem to feature a lot. Probably out of the same factory as a number of well known brands and as such same bass but cheaper. The good thing is you can try one at Dawsons in Manchester. Downside, resale value unpredictable if you decide you don't like it.
I'd get down to PMT and Dawsons and try as many basses as you can and then get a 2nd hand one of what you fancy.
Another one questioning the "no Squier" comment. I have 2 custom ACG's and also a Squier VM P Bass. The Squier is astonishing value for money.
[/quote]

I actually work close to Trafford Park so will check PMT on my lunch next week, is there anywhere in Manchester you would suggest for a set up in particular?

Happy to try a Squier I obviously had the wrong impression with them.

I'm going to take my time with this and make sure I get the right one, I have the Warwick for now and I have my eye on the second hand market.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

i was just browsing around and an Epiphone Thunderbird Gotic is £260.

[url="https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/EBTBPBBH1/electric-basses/epiphone-gothic-thunderbird-iv-bass-in-plain-black"]https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/EBTBPBBH1/electric-basses/epiphone-gothic-thunderbird-iv-bass-in-plain-black[/url]

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1487937748' post='3244320']
i was just browsing around and an Epiphone Thunderbird Gotic is £260.

[url="https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/EBTBPBBH1/electric-basses/epiphone-gothic-thunderbird-iv-bass-in-plain-black"]https://www.anderton...-in-plain-black[/url]
[/quote]

I'd be a bit wary of one of those for a 1st bass. They look cool and sound nice, but they're notoriously bad when it comes to balancing. You could end up spending a lot of time holding the neck up with your left hand, which is not what you want when you're learning to play.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1487939231' post='3244344']
I'd be a bit wary of one of those for a 1st bass. They look cool and sound nice, but they're notoriously bad when it comes to balancing. You could end up spending a lot of time holding the neck up with your left hand, which is not what you want when you're learning to play.
[/quote]
Well, it's not the bass for me, but the OP said he wanted to do metal and doom stuff, and it would fit right in!