Why become a member? ×

Extension cab

BrunoBass

If you like the current sound, adding in a similar cab will just make you have "more" of that. If you think that for bigger gigs you just want more lows/depth then many choose a 115 for this. I`ve used a good few 410/115 rigs and they`ve sounded good. Whichever I`d stick with the same MAG Series if possible.

Check the impedance of your combo first. It probably has a 4R minimum. If the internal drivers are wired for 8R you'll want an 8R minimum extension cab. However (imo) an extra 4x10 is overkill for your 300w head.

I've had several ashdown mag setups myself. The best sounding 2-box combination was a 2x10 combo with a MAG 1x15 cab.

Edited by bigjimmyc

I think the perception of "more lows" from the 115 comes from that manufacturers who make these cabs in general don`t make them to have very much in the way of high-range. Am of course going by the manufacturers specs here, plus my own earoles in respect of the ones I`ve had.

I have always owned bass combos but remember my 115 Peavey BW was enough to play in a small to medium sized hall some 25 years ago. If I was to gig again I'd love something beefy like 2 410 stack with a tube amp on top.Just in case...

Edited by SH73

I had that exact rig a long time ago. Be aware that the 1x15" cab is deeper front to back than the 4x10" combo, so you'll have to have it on the bottom. I liked it at the time, but I think knowing what I know now I'd probably have had the 2x10" combo with the 4x10" extension cab.

[URL=http://s52.photobucket.com/user/sparkythebunny/media/AmpStackedBass.jpg.html][IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g40/sparkythebunny/AmpStackedBass.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

i had the Ashdown 1x15 combo and added the 2x10 Low cab which seemed to be a nice pairing. The 2x10 Low has more depth than the standard 2x10 and makes it sound a little deeper in tone.
Didn't keep it long as just couldn't get into the Ashdown sound at all.

Dave

I use the toneman 300 combo but with a fifteen inch built in speaker, so I'm guessing it's almost identical in the head unit just with a different speaker config in its cab. I recently bought an Ashdown RM fifteen inch extension cab for it because looking at second hand heavy cabs I thought it was only fifty or so quid more to buy the brand new lightweight Ashdown RM. I'm guessing your combo pumps out 300w and adding a cab is supposed to give you 500w in my basic understanding of what's written on the amps.
Adding the cab has made my sound more full while giving some needed extra volume, had to play around with the tweeter a bit though and I think I've got it turned off now. The two by ten cab in the same range was around the same price so also good value. You'll feel the benefit of a lighter weight cab too!
I would also recommend looking at the toneman extension cabs for a good range of speaker configs and low price depending on exchange rate but they're not going to be lightweight and you're getting their lowest build quality - which isn't bad by any means, it's just built to a price point.

Edited by uk_lefty

OP, [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/301636-ashdown-mag-115-deep-stupid-cheap/"]you seen this?[/url]

EDIT - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/300087-ashdown-4-10-mag-450w/"]Or this, for that matter?[/url]

I wanted to find an amp for me, not two cabs for someone else!

Edited by Jack