Why become a member? ×

Filling in pup routs

fleabag

Does anyone have any experience of filling in pickup routs ?

I'm planning to modify my PJ / MM bass with other pickups. This means the old routs will need filling
to a good finish, re-routed for new pickups ( soapbars , so different shape to old pups )

The same thing for the leccy control cavity. Its passive top mounted , like a jazz, but it will be filled and re-routed from the rear because its going to have an active 5 band pre fitted

Eventually, the body will be sprayed painted again

cheers

Thanks guys

Cant sell the bass and use another body ...i'm rather attached to this one. Well, not all of it, obviously

PS work would have to be out sourced, as i'm talentless in this area of bass mods.

I was just wondering how a builder would have done it

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1487940366' post='3244369']
Thanks guys

Cant sell the bass and use another body ...i'm rather attached to this one. Well, not all of it, obviously

PS work would have to be out sourced, as i'm talentless in this area of bass mods.

I was just wondering how a builder would have done it
[/quote]

Seems to me that by the time you've had all that work done it won't really be the same body...

Yes, I've done it before. It's reasonably straight forward, but you'd obviously need a refinish afterwards, which is the expensive/time consuming part.

The key things are using the same species of wood to fill the routs and to make sure the fit is tight, also using a suitable glue which doesn't creep. If you don't do one of those you run the risk of the filled blocks telegraphing through the finish.

I don't know this series but if you have binding on front and back, of course you'd have to replace it and would be a mess.
Otherwise you could shave 6mm on both sides and round the sides... always a matter of taste. But the new top would be the best solution as it would allow a transparent finish and a cleaner job.
You could even do a top/back job with an exotic wood, for example. Wouldn't be too hard to do and in that case, binding would go away on both sides LOL.

If i went that route, then the neck and headstock would need to be done as well as they match the body right now. Plus another logo for the headstock. More expense.

And filling the routs and re- routing was suggested in post 2

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1487939192' post='3244343']
I would say to get a male/female routing template to cut the cavity and a block of wood prefecly in shape to fit snuggly together. Glue it down, apply a bit of filler in the joints and sand it all flush. should do the job very well.
[/quote]

Edited by fleabag

Be careful of sinkage - even after a refin, over time you can see the surface sink to expose the lines that lie beneath. Best bet for a flawless finish is to put a thin laminate over the top, feather the edges to the existing top, reroute and drill as required, finish and then you are guaranteed no sinkage. Intensive work - but the only way to guarantee a flawless finish for years to come.