Why become a member? ×

30" scale with a low B. Is it usable?

Dazed

Would that work on a bass?
I've only ever played one short scale and didn't get on with it really. However I've come across a peculiar 30" bass that I'm quite taken by and wonder if it's possible that it could work with a low B.
If I could I'd try it but it's in mainland Europe so I'd be buying it blind.

Experience and opinions welcome good people!

I think there are a lot of variables at play.
Generally I think it would probably be too floppy, however higher tension strings would help here, if the neck is good enough quality to be able to setup that way.
The Callowhill Owen Biddle Signature (OBS) is usually 5 or 6 strings and 30", people rave about them, don't know if they're using custom strings though.

Si

Thanks guys. It's probably not worth the effort to get it. I kind of expected the answer but thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
I have a fretless prose bass that's lovely to play and sounds great with elixirs on.
I might look into that Callowhill as a bit or research.

Perhaps depends on what you're going to play on it.

I have a 33-inch scale 6-string cheepo bass and even that I find the B tension lower than I would like. However, that is with playing moderate to speedy riffs in mind. Too much slack to get the string back in a neutral position for the next attack etc. If on the other hand I was looking to be playing more chordal stuff, rather than many constant fast rhythms on the B, perhaps it would be less of an issue.