Why become a member? ×

Bass amp newbie!

Hi Guys!

I've just joined up on BC after a fair while of lurking. Anyhow, I've just picked up my first proper bass amp an Ashdown (I've been using an old Trace Elliot combo, which has seen better days).

I've never actually used a head and couple of cabs before, and this will be a painfully simple question, but hey ho.
Speaker output from the head goes to the input of the first cab. Then to connect the second cab I take a speaker lead out of the link, of the first cab, into the input of the second cab? Or the link input?

Anyway, apologies for a dumb question :)

Cheers!

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Then to connect the second cab I take a speaker lead out of the link, of the first cab, into the input of the second cab" [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]^ This[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]...BUT if your amp has two outputs it is better to connect one cab to each output. Nothing wrong with your first suggestion but preference is to do two outputs (if you have them).[/font][/color]

Yes as above the way you are doing it is fine. If your amp has two speaker outputs then connect one speaker to each but more and more amps only have one output.
As mentioned above i am assuming your amp is probably 4ohm so you need to make sure your speakers are 8ohm each otherwise you will run into trouble.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1488257796' post='3247245']
If you only use one output from the amp, and your speaker cable goes bung, you will lose output to both cabs, whereas if you use both amp outputs you will still have one working cab.
[/quote]

He only has one output :)

Just don't use cheap thin cables and you'll be fine.

Got some decent speakon leads, and all is good!

I gigged it the other night, and I have never had such a clear tone! I gig in a 6 piece band so being able to actually hear what I'm playing makes a nice change ;)

• 1 month later...

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hi, another newbie here.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I bought Behringer Ultrabass BXD3000H head, which is [color=#000000]300W @ 4Ω or 180W @ 8Ω.[/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]I want to buy [/color][/font][color=#000000][font=sans-serif]Harley Benton BB115T cab, which is [/font][/color][color=#000000][font=sans-serif]8 Ohm 200 Watt RMS.[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000][font=sans-serif]I have 2 quesions:[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#000000][font=sans-serif]1.) How do I know if head is in [/font][/color][color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]4Ω or 8Ω mode? I assume I need to use it in [/font][/color][color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]8Ω to be on a safe side.[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]2.) Which cable do I need to connect head with amp? There are few outputs on head and inputs on cab.[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]This is photo of head: [/font][/color][url="https://thumbs4.static-thomann.de/thumb/bdbmagic/pics/bdb/288556/8722847_800.jpg"]https://thumbs4.stat...8722847_800.jpg[/url][/size]
[size=4]And this is cab: [url="https://thumbs4.static-thomann.de/thumb/bdbmagic/pics/bdb/238706/6088561_800.jpg"]https://thumbs4.stat...6088561_800.jpg[/url][/size]

[size=4]Please advise. :)[/size]
[size=4]Thanks![/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]EDIT: I found one review of this head, google translation from German: "[color=#141414]according to the official data sheet and user manual, there is as a speaker output both jack and a "professional speaker connection" (which is probably Speakon).[/color][color=#141414] [/color][/font][/size]In practice, however, it has only latch"
He also posted photo of this head connected with this amp which you can see here: https://www.musiker-board.de/attachments/p1000044-jpg.278781/

Edited by lurkingbass

1. hook up an 8 ohm load and the amp can deliver 180 watts, hook up a 4 ohm load (two 8 ohm cabs [i]or[/i] one 4 ohm cab) and the amp can deliver 300 watts.

2. It looks like the amp only has a jack output, no speakon. Use a jack to speakon cable (as in the last picture), [i]never[/i] use a guitar cable. These jack to speakon cables can be bought ready-made.

[quote name='lurkingbass' timestamp='1491226629' post='3271331']
So amp has only jack output. Do I get any benefits using jack to speakon instead of jack to jack, in this particular case?
Thanks!
[/quote]

Probably not in terms of sound quality at lower power levels. Speakons are for higher current duties. They are more reliable, though, which is nice. So if you have the option to use them, probably worth doing so.

In your case you have no choice, you have use a jack plug at the amp side. At the cab you have a choice, either jack or speakon. With regard to the amps power output it doesn't really matter what you use both are fine. Just don't use a guitar cable! These are for low level signals only. Speakon is a better and safer method of connection however (twist-lock, capable of higher currents, larger contact surface area, can't be confused with signal levels (line, instrument) commonly using jack plugs).