Why become a member? ×

Went to a shop

AndyTravis

For the first time in a while, I went to a shop to try 'new' basses.

Ibanez

Fan fret, semi hollow piezo and single cut.

All great, but Jesus, they use a finish which makes the basses feel like plastic. The single cut 5 string sound gear won that round - a great bass. The disappointment was the piezo one, it didn't sound great and there wasn't much control over the sound.

Fender

Tried a mustang p/j - good lord it was great fun, I asked to adjust the truss rod as the neck was a bit wonky. Actually wanted to leave with it.

Elite jazz. Massively impressed, really enjoyed playing it. But £1800?! Hmm. My custom shop jazz leathers it up and down the street, but it's a great bass.

With tons of options like Lakland, Sandberg, Maruszczyk and various other builders available for less than 2K, I wouldn't bother with Fender right now unless the *right* bass came along or I got a really good deal on something used (I love my MIJ Fenders)

On the Ibanez front, did you find that they sounded really honky and midrangey? That was my impression of them in Glasgow, but it could have been an ancient battery.

I have an elite Jazz V and it's a wonderful bass, had I not traded a bass for it, I wouldn't have bought it at that price, I got mine last year pre-brexit and pre-price increase!

At the same time I tried Ibby's but the neck always feels wrong to me, it feels like somewhere between a guitar and a short scale neck! And as you say, the finishes felt, plastic-y and cheap! Which is a shame as they certainly offer lots as a brand!

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1487978451' post='3244869']
The single cut 5 string sound gear won that round - a great bass.
[/quote]

I tried one of those too, in Wunjos. As you say a great bass with a huge range of sounds and very good build quality. Can't believe they can make it at the price. If only they'd done a fan-fretted version ...

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1487978451' post='3244869']
...Elite jazz. Massively impressed, really enjoyed playing it. But £1800?! Hmm. My custom shop jazz leathers it up and down the street, but it's a great bass.
[/quote]

I tried one of these last weekend; a Sunburst / Maple fiver, it was a wonderful bass regardless of what it says on the headstock.

Very nearly went home home with it...