Why become a member? ×

Can a promoter sell our live performance?

Muppet

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1488378145' post='3248403']
That's just the media though.

Those no win no fee solicitors are quite particular who they take on.

Real solicitors usually outline exactly how much a case is likely to cost and the likelihood of winning during the first (paid) consultation. A solicitors letter is cheap, following up on your threats isn't.

Try and sort out any problems amicably.
[/quote]

Yes.

Although I thought at first that you had typed "A solicitors letter is cheap, following up on your [i]threads[/i] isn't." until I cleaned my specs.

I wouldn't want to leave you out of pocket. You know?

Which is why I suggested using the powers of the DMCA take down notice. Not only does it cost you nothing, but it is normally acted upon with 24 hours - especially if you send it to the company hosting the web site rather than the owner of the site.

I'd be inclined to send an email explaining that as the copyright holder of the songs recorded you don't give him permission to sell these recordings. If you've already said words to this effect and it's fell on deaf ears, just wait for him to offer them for sale and issue the DMCA take down notice as suggested above.

Had a similar situation with an opportunistic promoter a good few years back. We approached him as soon as he made the announcement, politely informing him that we didn't want him selling copies of our set. He was furious that we'd dared to do so and loudly proclaimed 'you'll never play in this town again!' :rolleyes:

He deleted the recordings while we were there though and fortunately his proclamation proved to be untrue!

:lol:

Edit: Just saw elsewhere in the thread that you've emailed already.

Edited by Ruiner

This has all been a very interesting read. I really feel for people when stuff like this happens because you put so much work into writing material only to have someone steal it and sell it out of the back of a proverbial van Del Boy style. Good on you for calmly approaching the promoter first, going nuclear should never be the first port of call but definitely having a plan in the form of legal services to make sure they know you're serious as a back up.

Really hope you get this all straightened out. This is really helpful for all those players that have been done over by "promoters". I put this sort of stuff in the same category of "pay to play" gigs and doing gigs for "the exposure". Sure, pay me in "exposure", I'm sure Tesco's take payments in "exposure" when I need to eat!

Rooting for you mate!

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' timestamp='1488383330' post='3248472']
I put this sort of stuff in the same category of "pay to play" gigs and doing gigs for "the exposure".
[/quote]

I don't know why, it's nothing like the same.

With pay-to-play etc, the band makes the choice, in the case in question the band have been given no choice whether to be ripped off or not.

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' timestamp='1488383330' post='3248472']... I'm sure Tesco's take payments in "exposure" when I need to eat!...
[/quote]

They (and others...) do, when engaging in sponsorship, or charity ventures such as donating to food kitchens and the like. Rarely for the individual, but, next time you're starving, it may inspire your local groceries manager to offer help. It's not a 'given' that it could never work; some people are very kind.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1488817441' post='3252025']
Has anything happened with this?

Has the gig recording been made available to buy and download?

Did the MU ever get back to you?
[/quote]

Was wondering that myself...