Why become a member? ×

NBD - Epiphone Jack Casady

FinnDave

Just back from a 220 mile round trip to collect my eBay purchase of an Epi Jack Casady (plus case). Now I had one of these a couple of years ago and sold it on as I it found uncomfortable to play finger style. Recently, it occurred to me the problem might no longer exist as I have to play with a pick these days. And it's true! The different hand & wrist position makes it a joy to play, and my forearm resting on the bass prevents it tipping forwards.

Just ordered a set of flats for it, and will try it with a band next week.

And yes, I know...pictures on the way!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1488053817' post='3245499']
Mine came from a chap in Chester. I don't know anything about the stone roses, other than that he told me that was why he'd bought it.
[/quote]

Mani, the bass player in The Stone Roses has been playing pretty much exclusively Jack Casadys for a few years now. Google him and you can see a fair few standard and non standard designs..

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1488069931' post='3245646']
Mani, the bass player in The Stone Roses has been playing pretty much exclusively Jack Casadys for a few years now. Google him and you can see a fair few standard and non standard designs..
[/quote]

Thanks, some interesting ways of decorating the bass there. I've never heard of him or his band, but he has good taste in basses!

Yes, I had to change from fingers to pick after a motorcycle accident which left me with restricted wrist movement and no tendon to raise the middle finger of my right hand. One year since I was able to resume playing, I am starting to get used to the pick.

Right then, here are some pictures to show the full glossy loveliness of my new bass ;) though the bridge looks like it needs cleaning up. I'll give the whole bass a through checkover when the new strings arrive.

[attachment=239144:IMG_0619.jpg]

[attachment=239143:IMG_0620.jpg]

Which Hipshot bridge are you using, could be worth making the change there. As a pick player, my right arm across the front of the bass keeps the dive & tilt under control, but they were a real pain when I was still able to play finger style.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1488104371' post='3245783']
Yes, I had to change from fingers to pick after a motorcycle accident which left me with restricted wrist movement and no tendon to raise the middle finger of my right hand. One year since I was able to resume playing, I am starting to get used to the pick.
[/quote]
Fair play. I'd assumed it was going to be a "suits the band" type response so respect to you.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1488120050' post='3245986']
Which Hipshot bridge are you using, could be worth making the change there. As a pick player, my right arm across the front of the bass keeps the dive & tilt under control, but they were a real pain when I was still able to play finger style.
[/quote]

this one: https://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=264

the swap is a breeze and finally you can use any strings you like:)

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1488196422' post='3246619']
I picked one up last year, bought it off of Horace Panter, (so it means a lot to me), its now my main 'Ska Machine'.

Cracking bass, big sound. Looking into getting one of those Hipshot bridges, but how do they fit with the slight curve of the body?
[/quote]

No worries! I just put a bit of adhesive felt underneath.