Why become a member? ×

Servicing a MB LM 2

lownote

I have a 9 year old Little Mark II. Is it worth it - and even possible - to have a head serviced like a car, even though nothing is wrong with it currently. I just worry that some components may be getting a little old now. I guess what I'm asking is can a tech tell if bits are past their sell buy date even if they haven't failed yet?

If it's all working fine I can't think what a tech would be able to check or service in a solid-state amp. I have a 30 year old GK 200MB which I don't think has seen a tech in all that time and is still going strong. I'm sure someone with more technical know-how will chip in!

Apart from a bit of switch cleaner on the contacts and blowing the dust out there's not much you can do in terms of preventative maintenance on an amp. Usually they either work or they don't. Valve amps may differ where you have some adjustment to make sure the valves are working optimally, but not on solid state amps