Why become a member? ×

Depping-what would you do?

yorks5stringer

So imagine you get a text from a band you regularly dep. for offering you two gigs on consecutive nights in around a months time.

You text them back , thanking them and saying you are available and put them in the diary.

You then get a text saying the existing bassist may be able to do one of the gigs after all and they will get back to you.

You then get a further text saying yes, their existing bassist can in fact do one of the gigs, but are you still up for the other one?

Do you:

1. Thank them for the one gig, say nowt but feel a bit put-upon?

2. Say 'No way Jose, you offered me two gigs, that is what we agreed and that is what I'll do?

3. Thank them for the one gig but point out they did ask you if you were free to do both, you cleared your diary for them and now you are going to be out of pocket?

4. Any other suggestions..?

Probably depends on the time delay between asking you to do both and then telling you only one is available. If you had both dates booked for a while then you have reason to be peeved, but if they let you know soon after booking you, I'd take the one available and be grateful.

You don't say what the interval was between the original offer, and then the text saying the regular guy can do one.

Personally I'd thank them and do the one. If there was quite a period between the original offer and the next text, then I'd diplomatically mention it to them, say you've turned work down in the meantime.

Why fuss, and fall out with them though?

I dep fairly regular and as a result I'd have taken the path of least resistance and do the single remaining date... so long as you haven't turned other work down

However, I'd also make note (I use a Google Calendar) and if they do something similar in the future, I'd politely point out that you are setting aside dates/time for them (could be that you had wanted to do something socially) but this seems to be recurring and in future you'll not be able to help. Tis is of course assuming they aren't just mates!

I've had to do this with a band as I've gone out of my way to learn material only to be told I'm not needed (generally bassist plans change and can now do gigs)... twice. :(

If you are in habit of depping for them then i would expect you to know them a bit.
Are they in the habit of changing there plans.
If not then i'd just be happy to do the one gig and just let it go at that.
If they are in habit of changing minds then worth saying that in future if you put in the diary then you expet to do it as its a paid job and you could be turning down other work by agreeing to it in first place.

Dave

I've had deps cancelled because the regular bass player was available again.

Even if you've turned down other work, what can you do? Throwing your toys out of the pram and telling the band to take a hike isn't very professional or effective. It's cutting your nose off to spite your face.

A gig is a gig. I'd do the remaining gig.

There was a week between being offered two gigs and it being cut down to one.

Whilst I know the set, they have a habit of adding a few new tunes which I duly learn and then have to rehearse with them also.

If I am lucky enough to be offered further gigs again from them, I shall agree with the caveat that those gigs means just that.

Thanks for the feedback.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1488062392' post='3245603']
I've had deps cancelled because the regular bass player was available again.

Even if you've turned down other work, what can you do? Throwing your toys out of the pram and telling the band to take a hike isn't very professional or effective. It's cutting your nose off to spite your face.

A gig is a gig. I'd do the remaining gig.
[/quote]

As usual, Chris has expressed it more clearly than I could.

I've been in that position, it's annoying, but I'd rather keep the band onside for future work than kick off and possibly loose out later.

From the other perspective, there have been times where I've depped out a gig and then closer to the night found I was available, I've not cancelled the dep as I found that unfair to the dep.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1488068429' post='3245639']
There was a week between being offered two gigs and it being cut down to one.

Whilst I know the set, they have a habit of adding a few new tunes which I duly learn and then have to rehearse with them also.

If I am lucky enough to be offered further gigs again from them, I shall agree with the caveat that those gigs means just that.

Thanks for the feedback.
[/quote]
Sounds like the best plan.
We have had a similar problem with our female singer. She arranged for our Dep to do a gig for her as she had booked a holiday, (after the gig was in the diary). She arranged for our dep to cover for her, something I was a bit pissed about as it is a Wedding for a personal friend and she didn't mention it until the arrangements had been made.
She announced at the last gig she was now available having cancelled the holiday but it was up to us if we stayed with the dep.
We are staying with the dep as that was the arrangement she had made.

I get a similar situation in my day job - freelancing in graphic design, and TBH you can't really do anything other take what work is still available and hope that something else will come up to fill the job you have lost.

However after I last put my rates up, one of the more persistent offenders now pay slightly more for my time per hour than those who don't mess me around.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1488105079' post='3245787']
. . . . tell them that in future, once it's in your diary it's a done deal.
[/quote]

You can try. . . . I wouldn't use a dep who told me what I could or couldn't do.

Having said that I wouldn't cancel someone in this way either. I'd stick to the arrangement.

It is a difficult one and depends highly on everyone's relationship. The actual band member is always preferable to the dep BUT it is a bit rubbish to be cancelled as a dep. I guess it shows how they work as a band (some would offer to compensate but it sounds like this isn't on offer). Personally I'd feel slightly aggrieved but not say anything. It would perhaps taint my desire to help them out again but I wouldn't want to ruin a reputation for being reliable.

A short while ago, a Bass Player in a Band I know, had booked a weekend off, for a trip to his Caravan Park. His car broke down, so they couldn't go. He got a lift from the Guitarist, and watched me do his Gig! :) I'm in the same area as Warwickhunt, and had the same problems at times, but there are SOME good'uns out there.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1488053502' post='3245493']

Do you:

1. Thank them for the one gig, say nowt but feel a bit put-upon?

2. Say 'No way Jose, you offered me two gigs, that is what we agreed and that is what I'll do?

3. Thank them for the one gig but point out they did ask you if you were free to do both, you cleared your diary for them and now you are going to be out of pocket?

4. Any other suggestions..?
[/quote]

1 no - smacks of being a bit precious
2 no - arrogant and presumtuous - you ARE the dep after all not the band member
3 might come across a wee bit passive/aggressive - are you 'actually' going to be out of pocket or is the the hypothetical out of pocket?
4 if you think they are taking the piss then tell them so without beating around the bush - if they are not then whats to lose? its an evening out playing with your expenses covered! is there really something better on the telly??? :ph34r: