Why become a member? ×

BIMM or ICMP?

Cestrian

I may have an opportunity to take a year's sabbatical and I've been considering studying for a BTEC or equivalent at the aforementioned Music schools. BIMM doesn't appear to have great online reviews and there isn't much available on ICMP. Any Basschatters have experience, inside knowledge? I'm open to other places as well as long as they're in London.

I did the ICMP higher diploma, and then the BMus.

Both are excellent.

The higher diploma is essentially the same as the first year of the BMus.

I did audition for BIMM, and got an offer.

A friend of mine did 2 years at BIMM on their BA, he transferred to ICMP for his final year, and he says that ICMP's course was far a far, far higher standard.

I owe ICMP a lot.

Edited by ambient

I went to Tech Music Schools which has now become BIMM London I can put you in touch with a few guys there if you'd like so you can have a chat

from my experience of studying at Tech and then doing a bit of stuff for ICMP the course details are pretty similar in terms of content so the thing that would sway me now would be the teachers. Which teachers inspire you to want to be better and their methods of teaching the curriculum I've come across good and bad ones at both places so its down to individual choice really.

In terms of facilities I'd say that BIMM London is one of the best equipped colleges out there

ICMP seem to be expanding and investing money in the facilities quite a bit.

I graduated in 2015, but was there just before Christmas doing a masterclass for some year 3 bmus students. The place had changed quite a lot. They'd taken over another floor in the one building and they're also building on what was the car park at the rear.

Best thing really is to go along to each school on one of their open days. Speak to the staff and the students, then decide,