Why become a member? ×

Fret Buzz G string only fret 10-15

chrisaxe

Hello,

I have a Fender Precision bass that has started acting up and I am looking for help.

I am getting some serious fret buzz around frets 10-15 on the G string. All other strings are fine. I have tried fiddling with the string height - no change. I have tried adjusting the truss rod - no change.

The bass had some buzz around the 12th fret of the G string anyway, but I have recently changed the bridge (from the stock Fender high mass to the more traditional Fender design) and since then it has been worse. This made me think it may have been a string height thing, but even with the strings jacked right up I am still getting the buzz.

I've checked for rattling parts / nut buzz etc and it's not that. Definitely coming from the frets.

Any help would be much appreciated!

If you've already checked the neck relief, you can check for a high fret by using a straight edge. Grab a credit card or something, centre it on a fret and then see how much it can rock backwards and forwards against the adjacent frets. If the frets are level it shouldn't rock, especially if you have some neck relief. You can buy luthier "fret rockers" for the purpose, but a credit card should give you enough of an indication - better still if you have an old one you can cut up as ideally it should cover just 3 frets

Edit: Use the edge of the credit card to check (just to be obvious :D)

Edited by Norris