Why become a member? ×

bass fellows from Scotland, HELP!

deste

Hello guys and girls.
It's my first post here, after many useful browsings.
I'm an italian bass player, and I'll be in Edinburgh in august for the Fringe Festival.
Carrying a bass by plane -as you certainly know- is quite a pain, so I'm trying to find a double bass to rent for nine days (august 12-20), hoping not to pay too much.
Could you help me?
Any suggestion/direction/help will be highly appreciated.

Have a nice weekend,

Massimo

Edited by deste

HI Massimo

Two places you could try

Stringers have premises in Edinburgh and have a hire service.

[url="http://www.stringersmusic.com/hire-scheme/information-about-the-hire-scheme.html"]http://www.stringers...ire-scheme.html[/url]

And Scayles may know of someone

www.scayles.co.uk

Hope you enjoy your time in Edinburgh.

Not in Edinburgh but another option.

https://www.bassbags.co.uk/double-bass-hire-rental/

Edited by kodiakblair

I'm aware of a couple of places; DM audio in Leith are a backline hire company who have at least one double bass listed for rental, though I don't know what standard of instrument they have. Or there's Stevenson Violins, a small violin shop. They keep a bass for hire and loan purposes, the one I've seen was a very basic Chinese plywood job, but he might have a better one available.

Thanks a lot to you all, guys: very kind of you, and very helpful!

I just contacted Scayles, Bassbags and Stringers, waiting for replies (but it's sunday in Scotland too, I think...).

My needs are not extraordinary: a simple 3/4 bass, preferably steel strings but gut is also ok (I use bow only sparingly). I'll be playing a sort of "world music" arrangements of italian songs in an acoustic quartet (violin, guitar, mandolin/oud/frame drums/etc, and obviously db) in two different venues, I've been told we will be amplified (I can take my own mic + pre). I don't need a wonderful instrument, but I'd rather avoid some chinese cardboard box. It all depends on the price, but it's the agency that pays, not me...
If there's any suggestion (those "interesting stories", Meddle?) I accept anything.

Thanks again!

Hi guys.

Just to thank you , I inform you that my search produced some results: Scayles didn't reply; Stevenson has no basses available, and they don't know how to help me; BassBags has everything, but since they are in Derbyshire they should charge me 500£ for transport only, besides the hire fee.
So the agency I work for decided to take the bass from Leith's DM Audio (thank you Beer of the Bass!): judging by the pic on their site should be a candy-coated chinese cardboard box, equipped with a Realist; it's ok, and even if it's not ok, it will be ok anyway...
I'll take my preamp with me just to mess around with the realist (I hate it) to improve the sound as much as possible.

Thank you all for your efforts, I hope to drink a beer with some of you in august!