Why become a member? ×

Let's hear all your own Basschat Rig Rundowns.

Painy

I find these YouTube Rig Rundown videos can be quite an interesting watch and was thinking that a lot of members here have a list of gear in their signatures but the way we all use our gear can vary quite a bit.
Thought it might be interesting to hear how you use your gear through the signal chain and why in a kinda Rig Rundown style.

My gigging setup is as follows:-

Firstly 3 basses (all five strings):
Sterling SUB Ray 5 - use this one on most of the songs we play. Bright, aggressive sound that punches through the mix clearly.
Squier Vintage Modified Precision 5 (modified with an added Dan Armstrong Yellow Humper active circuit) - gets used on about 8 or 9 songs where it either needs a more 'oldschool' sound or just to sit back in the mix a bit more.
Fender Modern Player Jazz 5 - gets used on the 2 or 3 songs that I play with a pick and has the strap set longer to be more comfortable for pick playing.

Planet waves guitar cable into the pedal board.

Pedals - powered by a Harley Benton Power Plant Junior:
Snark pedal tuner.>
Palmer Deepressor compression pedal. Aside from compression this also has a -10dB pad button which helps with the really hot output of the Ray.>
MXR M80 Bass DI+. Aside from EQ, this allows me to balance the volume between my 3 basses. It's off for the precision so the other 2 are set relative to that. The clean channel is set for the Ray. The distortion channel is set for the jazz but with the drive on minimum and then blended into the clean which gives it a kind of Sansamp sound.>
EHX Steel Leather. Use this with the precision on a low setting just to add a little definition.>
EBS Octabass. Just use this to get a synthy sound for when we play Uptown Funk.>
Palmer Ubertreiber overdrive. Normally just used on the odd line here or there unless we play Ace of Spades.>
Joyo Roll Boost. Clean boost for any parts that need to stand out.

Another Planet Waves cable to the amp.

Aguilar AG500 head. I don't really use the distortion channel. The distortion itself is okay but I don't really get on with the EQ. The clean channel though sounds great. Very clear and really strong mids. Loads of volume on tap and no lack of heft (sorry).
Runs through a pair of Aguilar DB112 cabs. Not super lightweight but small enough to be very manageable and without compromising on sound.
This little amp setup manages in a decent sized venue without going through the PA and the volume normally stays below 10 o'clock in a VERY loud rock band.

Took a while to write that all out but would anyone else care to share their own Rig Rundown?

Edited by Painy

My rig is extremely unimpressive, unfortunately, but here goes:

2015 Fender Am Std Jazz
2014 Sterling Sub Ray 4
Early 00's Jim Deacon Precision copy (my first bass, bequeathed to me by a friend who had given up playing, to get me started on my journey - currently awaiting modifcations including new hardware and pickup)

Fender Bronco 40 (I know, I know, I will upgrade at some point) typically set largely flat with a little extra mid and treble, and kept on the SWR Redhead preset for my Jazz bass, but I switch to the Gallien-Krueger for the Sterling.

DR Fat Beams 45-105

DOD FX25B
DIGITECH Digidelay
BEHRINGER BDI 21

I prefer the sound of my bass clean, but would like a fuzz pedal and an octaver just for messing about.

NEXT! :P

Edited by Funky Dunky

Good idea, mine is as follows:

Basses
Fender 2015 US Precision (x2), Fender 2012 Mex Precision (with Fender Custom Shop 62 Pickup), Squier Matt Freeman Sig Precision

Strings
Rotosound R66LD

Instrument cables by Fender
Speaker cables by OBBM

Amps/Cabs
Main gigging rig - Ashdown ABM600-EVO-IV with Ashdown ABM410 (and an ABM210 if a big gig or a video shoot)
Backup gigging rig - Ashdown RM-500-EVO with RM-210T and RM-115T

Pedals
Boss TU2 Tuner, Korg Pitchblack Mini Tuner
Sansamp Paradriver

Plectrums
Dunlop Tortex Wedge 1.14mm

My sound is somewhere between JJ Burnell, Bruce Foxton and Duff McKagan, a grindy, driven Precision tone with a lot of twang/upper-mids (thanks Paradriver) and highs. I set the eq on the amps to flat and get all the eq off of said Paradriver. The only adjustment I make on the amps is adjusting the lows to suit, as each cab I use invariably is slightly different here, however at all of my gigs I go through FOH PA so the eq on the Paradriver stays the same, amp adjustment is purely for on-stage.

So I suppose what I`m saying here is that all I need to get my sound through whatever rig is one Precision and the Paradriver. Which is ideal seeing as many of the gigs I do are with shared or provided rigs.

Edited by Lozz196

So first of all whichever bass takes me fancy on the day. So either:

Sire Marcus Miller M3
Squier CV 50s P Bass
Bitsa P Bass
"Bleeding Sunflower" Jazz bass (comes everywhere with me) - look at the build thread

cabled into the pedaltrain:
TC Polytune (must have)
EHX Big Muff Pi
Tone City Golden Plexi - yes, a guitar distortion, used for one song usually.
Boss OC-3
Tone City Angel Wing Chorus - yes, a guitar chorus, used for one or two songs.
(all powered by Stagg plug and daisy chain)

Into Amp and Cab
Fender Rumble 500 (Vintage and contour switches engaged, just a touch of drive dialled in, EQ left nearly flat)
Orange 410 cab

I think that's it.

Most of my gear is listed in my signature so gonna keep this to minimum that i currently use. Band is new and still at reherasal stage.

Fender Deluxe Precision (PJ) or Fender Jazz

Roland GT-6B mainly for the different amp or bass sounds i might need. One clean channel with just some compression and others set up as req'd ie Rik with overdriven Ampeg and 8x10 cab sound. Some set up with clean sound with various effects that i can select as and when req'd ie chorus, echo, reverb or occasionally flanged sound.

GK 1001RBii with Orange 0BC115 (hope to get another before gigging starts)
Normally i would use my Ampeg SVT 4 with these but its knackered at moment
Also a Korg rack tuner with the amp rack.

Aim is to have a full Orange rig with AD200b head and 2off OBC115 cabs but that's just GAS talking :D
Current band is playing blues based funk / rock covers like Tony Joe White, Doobies, Allmans, John Mayall kind of material.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

OK, mine is fairly simple.

2 basses, a Yamaha BB414 which is the main rock bass. For pretty much everything else, a bitsa Fender Precision - 2003 MIM, with a 1994 USA pickup, and a 2014 American Special Jazz neck.

The BB currently wears Chromes, the Precision TI Jazz Flats.

These feed a Boss TU2 which plugs into the amp, which is a...

Markbass CMD121H, 2005, which has a Traveler 121H for the full bands, or solo for quieter stuff.

That's it, nothing fancy!

Mine is pretty simple, things do change a bit but the idea remains the same..

Currently gig with a Dingwall Z3 5'er with an active ABZ 5'er as a backup (or main bass if I don't like the look of the venue).

Smoothhound wireless classic

Main amp is a Thunderfunk TF750A with an RH750 as backup.
Cab is a Barefaced BT2 (just got - replaced a BF S12T)

Pedals are

EBS chorus, envelope follower and octaver.
Cog TK421 for dirt
Mr Squishy compressor
Thumpinator
Joyo tuner

I use a send/return snake with power to the pedal board (pedal train clone).

Music is rock covers/blues-funk originals...

Edited by markstuk

Mine is a nice simple clean set up

Basses

Bacchus custom Jazz 5 string (fitted with bartolini pickups and John East preamp)
Overwater by Tanglewood contemporary 5 (backup to the Bacchus and has a bit more umph in the bottom end)
both basses strung with D'addario pro steels 45-135

(Van damme instrument cable with Neutrick connectors from bass to pedals)

pedals

Visual volume pedal (I like the LED's up the side and it has two inputs)
TC electronic Polytune (running out of the tuner out of the VV pedal)
sansamp bass driver deluxe (the one with two inputs and two banks) xlr to FOH from this pedal plus then jack output to amp and parallel output to In ears mixer

occasionally a Boss Bass chorus pedal if needed

(Van damme instrument cable with Neutrick connectors from pedals to Amp and in ears)

Amp

Markbass Little mark 3
Markbass Traveler 102p
Markbass STD 151 HF (this only comes out for big tributes where I need the look of a big amp)

In ears

Alto ZMX862 mixer
Bass line from sansamp in channel 1
monitor line from monitor desk in channel 2
Westone 4r quad driver in ears from headphone out of desk (I've found that moulds slip out of my ears when i get sweaty and move when I sing BV's losing all the bottom end)

For Theatre gigs i just don't use my amp.

not as simple as i thought when I started this post

Edited by Chrismanbass

Like many my kit is in my signature but to explain further;

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Basses[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Gibson Thunderbird (99% of the time), Fender CIJ 50s Precision, Hofner longscale Verythin[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Accessories[/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]Dean Markley Nickel Steel 45-105 (just changed over from Fender flats)[/color][/font]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fender Instrument cables[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Speaker cable some high end stuff that I have had so long I can't recall where it came from[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Amps/Cabs[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Live - Ampeg Portaflex PF-50t into an Ampeg Portaflex PF115HE[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Practice - Ampeg BA108 for home use[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Pedals[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Tech 21 Sansamp VT (left on pretty much all the time), [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Boss TU2 Tuner, [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TC Electronic Corona Chorus (I use rarely on a couple of slower tunes)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Plectrums[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fairly thick personalised ones ordered off of EBay[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]My sound has recently changed from flatwounds played with fingers to roundwounds played with a pick in a bid to move from an old school thump to more of a hard rock sound. In my heart I'd have an Ampeg 8x10 set up now but my age and back tell me to stick with what I have. [/font][/color]

Fingers/thumb/Herco thumbpick (not all at the same time, obvs. xD )
-> Elixir 14202 nickels
-> Shuker custom 5 or Sire V7 5-string (or bitsa P bass for my occasional blues dep)
-> OBBM braided cable jack-miniXLR
-> Line 6 G55 wireless (receiver rackmounted with amp)
-> Behringer MDX2600 compressor
-> cable snake Send **
-> Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
-> cable snake Return **
->
Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0
-> homemade speaker cable
-> EBS Neo-212 2x12" cab

** The snake (entirely homebrewed) contains two audio cables for Send & Return, plus the 9v AC supply line for the Pod. The PSU is fitted inside the rack case. I've taken a lot of time and trouble getting my rig to its current simple plug-n-play arrangement. It has reduced my setup and crash down times to an absolute minimum.

Edited by Rich

Great idea... my gigging set up as follows...

BASSES:

Wal Mk 1 Custom Series, 1985, shedua facings, gold hardware
Wal Pro Series ProIIE, 1979, ash body, trans raspberry finish
(both with La Bella 760FL flatwound strings)

Cleartone cables

PEDALS:

When two basses used together: Lehle 3@1 switcher pedal

Pedalboard featuring...

TC Electronics PolyTune
Joyo Vintage Overdrive (hopefully to be replaced by an EHX Bass Soul Food later in the year - only used for mild grit and to feed the...)
Morley Dual Bass Wah
EHX Pulsar tremolo
Boss CE-2B chorus
Tech 21 Sansamp VTDI (feed to the PA)

Connectors by Cleartone, OBBM; Pedaltrain pedalboard, T-Rex Fuel Tank power supply

AMP:
(when not going amp free)

MarkBass Little Mark II
MarkBass Traveller 2x10 cab
...and for larger gigs adding a MarkBass Traveller 1x15 cab to make a mini stack

ACCESSORIES:
All cables by Cleartone and OBBM
Dunlop Straploks
Italia Leathers 4" straps
QuikLok A-frame guitar stands
Air-Turn pedal for iPad
OnSong software on iPad
Shire Beta 57 vocal mic
Ultimate Ears UE11 (I think) in ears
Fischer Amps belt pack amplifier
Hipshot Xtender EB-4 detuner just added to both basses.

Pre-pedalboard...

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Pedalboard pre-overdrive pedal...[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][/color][/size][/font]

Edited by TrevorR

Nice and simple for me:

EBMM Stingray 2eq with Super Slinky's on (or any one of my revolving door of second basses - currently a Rickenbacker copy whose name I shall not mention, lest the looming spectre of John Hall's lawyers devour my soul) into an Ashdown MAG300 EVO II 4x10 (which sits on a dolly from Homebase), via a Pedaltrain Metro which houses a Korg Pitch Black tuner, an Ibanez PD7 Phat-Hed overdrive (used on a handful of songs) and EHX Big Muff Deluxe (currently used on just one song). I'm thinking about losing the pedals (except the tuner) and thinking about adding a 1x15 cab.

Strap off eBay, brand unknown.
I only use picks on three or four songs but when I do I like them grippy and bendy, .5mm will do. I'm not really bothered which brand. Same with cables, I think they're Planet Waves. I've had them for ages and they work, so that'll do for me.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

nothing too complicated for me,

(Live Setup)

Letts 5 string into a Line6 G30 wireless, and a Squier VM P5 with a Klotz/neutrik lead

the G30 receiver and the squier both go into a homebuilt A/B box which feeds into a tc polytune, into a SFX red dragon, Cog Dual Knightfall, then a Mooer Bass sweeper (for one track in the set) then a compressor (currently a mxr super comp, to be replaced with a madbean afterlife when i get round to building it)

then another klotz/Neutrik lead (i build my own) into a Markbass F1 fed into either one or two Barefaced Midgets Via OBBM Speaker leads

for rehearsals and practices it's either one of the basses (or occasionally my 77 precision if i'm feeling strong) via a lead into the a/b box and just one midget.

Matt

oooh, can I play?

Bass: One of a variety of mongrel bitsas (thread is here: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/292523-show-us-your-bitsas/page__view__findpost__p__3141586)

Cable: Van Damme/Neutrik to Smoothound Classic Wireless via Neautrik Rean adapter

FX: Smoothound receiver into Zoom B3

Cable: Van Damme/Neutrik

Amp: Genz Benz Contour 2x10 combo (occasionally with the 15" extension speaker if I need to frighten the townsfolk...)

I'm GAS free... for now.

Band: Her way to hell AC/DC tribute

Dead simple set up.

Main bass - Ibanez SR750. Just started using this on the last 2 gigs as it`s a great piece of kit. Backup usually a BB1100s.

Pedals - Korg pitch black, BD 121. I have just started using the Beringher for a slight bit of drive.

Amp and cab - Trace elliott AH 600 7 band, Ashdown ABM Mini 2 x 10.

All cables by Award Session. Been using them for 10 years and they havent failed yet.

[u]Main band[/u] -
Fender Precision Lyte -> Sansamp Bass Driver (set fairly flat for DI to FOH use, unaffected output into..)
GK 1001RB head / GK neo 410 cab.

[u]Pub band[/u] -
Danelectro Longhorn (or sometimes Squier Jaguar SS) -> GK MB800 head / Barefaced Gen 1 Compact cab

[u]Acoustic duo[/u] -
Washburn AB20 , Countryman Ukulele bass -> Yamaha / Bose PA

All cables OBBM, no FX, wide leather straps of various origins, Snark tuners (so shoot me....)

Edited by casapete

Shuker 36" Designed to have a piano /alembic tone with built in Roland Midi pick up ,
Shuker JJB
Roland GR55 also used for main tone modelling
Ashdown ABM1000
Ashdown Labs 500 pre JJB head .....Still can't decide which one I prefer as both are very different & I like both
2 x Root Master cabs with Sica drivers ....but always looking at cab options ;)

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1488143748' post='3246315']
Shuker 36" Designed to have a piano /alembic tone with built in Roland Midi pick up ,
Shuker JJB
Roland GR55 also used for main tone modelling
Ashdown ABM1000
Ashdown Labs 500 pre JJB head .....Still can't decide which one I prefer as both are very different & I like both
2 x Root Master cabs with Sica drivers ....but always looking at cab options ;)
[/quote]

Let's see your Roland equipped bass!

Basses:
Fender MIM Precision (2008) w/Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound pickup. Volume and tone controls removed and replaced with on/off switch.
Fender Dee Dee Ramone Precision w/Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound pickup. Tone control removed.
Both use Couch Guitar Straps seatbelt straps and Fender strap locks.

FX:
Line 6 G30
TC Electronic PolyTune
EHX Bass Big Muff
Tech 21 SansAmp BDDI

Rig:
Fender Super Bassman 300 head
Fender Rumble 500 head
Fender Bassman 410 Neo cab

Other:
Fender speaker cables
Planet Waves instrument cables
InTune GP picks
ACS Pro 17 earplugs

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1488113593' post='3245898']
I find these YouTube Rig Rundown videos can be quite an interesting watch and was thinking that a lot of members here have a list of gear in their signatures but the way we all use our gear can vary quite a bit.
Thought it might be interesting to hear how you use your gear through the signal chain and why in a kinda Rig Rundown style.
[/quote]

I'll try and keep this brief ... :+)
I started out on BASS in 1990 ~ so plenty of time to accumulate tons of gear ~ can you ever have too much? What I have now might be less than a 1/4 of everything I've ever owned.

I've never been a Pro (or even a semi-pro) and haven't gigged or been interested in bands or playing Live for more than 10-years. Who knows? that could change in future.

I now write and record my own songs at home, which I would describe as post-rock Dreampop with Jazz and Funk influences ~ I don't expect anyone else to be interested. I've always enjoyed playing and writing music just for me.

I record via a USB interface with Reaper 5 into a modest spec Windows 10 laptop, and the focal point of my set up is my lovely Trace GP12XV valve pre-amp.

My effects all go into the pre-amp's effects loop and then out again, via the DI post-eq, to the USB interface. A Carl Martin Pro Power takes care of all the 9 and 12 Volt stuff.

BASS > effects loop send > tuner > octaver > filter/wah > delay > tremolo > compressor > looper > effects send return.