Why become a member? ×

HH or $$ basses - where do you put the pickups?

LukeFRC

Random question here...

If I was putting two humbuckers into a bass there seems two ways I can arrange the pickups.

I can stick the bridge pup in the Jazz bridge pup position, and then the neck pup in the jazz neck pup position- kinds a super jazz .
If I split the coils on the pickups I'll be able to select something close to 60's jazz or 70's jazz on the back, and a Precision-ish thing on the neck.

The other way is to put the bridge pickup in the musicman sweetspot. Then where do you put the neck pickup? The Warwick $$ seems to stick it in the Precision sweet spot, or close enough that one coil hits that and then the other is close to jazz neck. Meaning I think the outside coils of both pups are close to Jazz position.
Then the musicman HH basses stick the bridge in the Musicman sweetspot, but then the neck pickup a lot further away - why is that? The Warwick setup seem to make more sense to me.

The two humbuckers on the Warwick $$ seem to be side by side around the centre of the section between the bridge and the end of the neck. In fact the neck pick up looks to be in the same position as the MM neck pick up.

The Musicman bridge pick up is in the usual place, whilst the neck humbucker is placed about the width of a humbucker closer to the neck than the bridge one. Remember the Musicman is based on coil selection and certainly on my Classic Sabre, selecting the inner cool of the neck humbucker produces a good Precision sound. The outer neck humbucker coil is around the Jazz neck position and there are settings where you can have neck and bridge single coils to approximate Jazz sounds.

I don't have a Warwick $$ but have played one and I think the bridge humbucker is in the gap between the pick ups on the Musicman one. However the bass designs are quite different - the Musicman seems to aim to give you the single pick up MM sound but adding a few other alternatives which it achieves - my HH Ray and Sabre are the most versatile basses I have.

The G and L seems to have the bridge pick up in a similar position to the MM one but the neck pick up closer to the bridge one. Once again a different take on it.

The Gibson and Fender Telecaster bass (later version) have humbuckers right next to the end of the neck. Yet another approach!!

Edited by drTStingray