Why become a member? ×

Why are teles more expensive?

lucky

Strat's are great (if you like that sort've thing), but I just wondered if there was a reason that telecasters are so consistently more expensive second hand than their strat equivalents when they're pretty comparable new. Hell, a Highway one tele is worth what it cost when it was new! Is it simply that there's more strats around, and the rarer commodity of teles naturally brings a higher price or am I missing something?

My guess is that every guitarist and their dog has owns or has owned a strat so there's more of them around on the 2nd hand market. I've always felt like a strat was the sensible choice and a tele would be great but less versatile, which is why I walked out of Rich Tone with a strat a few years ago when looking for a new workhorse guitar.

Nice Community avatar btw!

Yeah I totally agree with you there. I suppose that just adds to my confusion, that if something costs the same new but is less versatile why is everyone paying more for them so consistently? Just whenever i see a tele for sale I'm thinking "for that price I could buy the equivalent strat and a reasonable little amp to play it through..."

And good call, RichTone have some cracking stock for a local music shop

haha thanks! I used to love that show. might switch it to Chang if I feel crazy...

Supply and demand I guess, it's why people with Japanese built Jazzmasters from the 90's are charging 150% of their as new value for 2nd hand instruments these days, although I don't know if they're actually getting that. They're very niche instruments with a bunch of quirks but they don't come up too often so sellers can ask a high price.

I have to stay out of Rich Tone, it's not good for my wallet!

I've got this up for sale at present, [color=#3C3241]only 42 ever available in the UK, created by custom shop assembled in Mexico, these were £982 on release. Last one I saw sold on Reverb for £780.[/color]

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/fender-fsr-72-telecaster-custom-p90/1218682925

[quote name='Shabbs' timestamp='1488229739' post='3247102']
I've got this up for sale at present, [color=#3C3241]only 42 ever available in the UK, created by custom shop assembled in Mexico, these were £982 on release. Last one I saw sold on Reverb for £780.[/color]

[url="https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/fender-fsr-72-telecaster-custom-p90/1218682925"]https://www.gumtree....-p90/1218682925[/url]
[/quote]

Not the kind of thing I'm oggling but it is lovely with the white binding! GLWTS

Squier Standard telecasters are very jolly guitars whether new or pre-loved. Great platforms for enhanced pups and harness but perfectly usable off the shelf.

Worth trying in the flesh to see if one gets on with the nut width which is a bit tight on the older ones.

I decided to have a switch put in my strat so I can have the outer two pickups on together and that gives me a good enough telecaster sound for what I need. I got it done by Martin at the Little Guitar Shop in Hockley Birmingham.

Teles are more expensive because there's more wood. Manufacturers generally don't slice big chunks of the wood away like on a Strat, all those comfort contours mean less wood.

I got wise to all this and ended up with a Richie Kotzen Telecaster with comfort contours and it was an absolute bargain, mainly because it has less wood. It's still a Tele but less wood means cheap, right?

Check them out. It's like a loophole in the whole "Teles are dearer than Strats" rule.

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1489429499' post='3256852']
Teles are more expensive because there's more wood. Manufacturers generally don't slice big chunks of the wood away like on a Strat, all those comfort contours mean less wood.

I got wise to all this and ended up with a Richie Kotzen Telecaster with comfort contours and it was an absolute bargain, mainly because it has less wood. It's still a Tele but less wood means cheap, right?

Check them out. It's like a loophole in the whole "Teles are dearer than Strats" rule.
[/quote]

Really? The Richie Kotzen signature model is one of the most expensive non custom shop Telecasters available, about £1,800 last time I looked.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1489446170' post='3257101']
Really? The Richie Kotzen signature model is one of the most expensive non custom shop Telecasters available, about £1,800 last time I looked.
[/quote]

That's another loophole closed off, then :(
It was good while it lasted ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I've had acouple Strats but never bonded with them. Now own 2 Tele's, a vintage '77 and a MIM that I customized. Great gigging instruments that have stood the test of time. Like a Zippo lighter or a 1911 pistol, a perfect design of form following function.

These have an excellent reputation:

http//www.jhs.co.uk/brands/vintage/vintage-electrics/vintage-reissued-electrics/vintage-v52-reissued-electric-guitar-butterscotch

Solid American alder. Can be very cheap on amazon.

• 2 weeks later...