Why become a member? ×

Downsize suggestions

Joebethell

So I am currently the proud owner of a monster amp and speaker setup that could be called over kill for anything but stadiums.
The head is a 300w all valve beast a Traynor YBA300 and I run it through two Zilla 2x10 rear ported cabs. It's a clean amp with headroom to spare but now I am looking at doing more recording and playing at home rather than gigging I'm thinking of downsizing to a small valve head and speaker or combo.
Think B15ish but without the price tag.

Has anyone got any suggestions as I feel my current rig will just be to large and loud.

You don't need a tube amp for recording.

A valve DI will give to a great recorded sound, or, I used the DI on a Mesa Subway on the last recording I did. What a great sound.

There are some very good D class amps that have a quality sound at low volume. There are also a few with valve pre and D class power section. If you're playing quietly at home get the best speaker cab you can afford. I'm currently using a TH500 though a BF One10. Sounds great at "front room" volumes.

Hi the PF50 sounds like a good option also spotted this the other day and wondered if anyone has any experience with one?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ashdown-DH-30-C115-Drophead-Valve-Fliptop-Bass-Amplifier-Combo-30-watt-/292036601335?hash=item43febce5f7%3Ag%3A3%7EwAAOSwo4pYW6Oh&_trkparms=pageci%253A1a9885f2-fcf1-11e6-a596-74dbd1801ace%257Cparentrq%253A7fc532e215a0a2a4f865562fffea2863%257Ciid%253A6
Also although a class D or solidstate would cover recording I would still like to stick with Valve it's just my personal preference

Edited by Joebethell

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1488211334' post='3246825']
All the gear recommended will seem huge when the new Trace Elliot Elf becomes available later this year. 200w in a box the size of a kitchen size matchbox (remember them?). I can't wait.
[/quote]

I would love an old trace Twin valve combo or head but chances one will come available are slim I think.

Edited by Joebethell

Even the little Ashdown CTM15 will give you reasonable volume through your 2x Zilla cabs, and you can get proper output stage breakup without deafening yourself. I find it quite a nice recording solution, putting the speaker output into a DI box with a speaker load. I also use it for rehearsal in my very small garage studio, through 2x 1x12s.
They can be had for a lot less £££ too!