Why become a member? ×

Tone Knob Pedal?

CameronJ

Imagine if someone chopped the tone knob out of your passive bass and stuck it in a pedal enclosure - does such a thing exist? Surely such a thing could be done?

I ask because the previous owner of my BTB33 upgraded with preamp with an Aguilar OBP3 and an active/passive switch but when in passive the only controls that work are volume and pickup pan. No fancy "treble knob operates as passive tone" magic that I've heard folk speak of on basses. So a pedal like I've described above would be quite cool to have. Thoughts?

I'm not looking for a wah pedal...

Edited by CameronJ

im pretty sure you could rip out the tone pot and resistor from any bass and use it in your signal chain. Theres no power required so unless you specifically want to turn it on and off with your foot, you could wire it into the back of a guitar cable for example. it would be so light, and within reach without bending down.

Maybe something like the Neutrik NP2 RX-Timbre... but with a larger resistance, not tiny capacitance.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1488292000' post='3247576']
If the issue is your bass (i.e. a lack of a feature), why not have a luthier add a passive tone control on your bass? Easy enough to do. Even possible to have a tone control work across active and passive, pretty helpful.

Si
[/quote]

+1

This. Although I'd say stick with the active option myself...

Whilst brightonion will do an amazing job (I have one of thir buffers a d one of their patch bays) it really would be so easy to build yourself if you fancied a cool little project.