Why become a member? ×

Rig Rundowns pt 2 - what we need for gigging

Lozz196

Further to Painys excellent topic re rig rundowns, where we`ve all listed all of our gear etc, what do we actually need for gigging, assuming we have to provide our own backline, and assuming there will be no breakages so only items you would expect to use? For me it is:

US 2015 Fender Precision, strung with Rotosound R66LDs
Ashdown ABM-600 EVO4, Ashdown ABM410H
Tech21 Para-driver, Boss TU2
Fender Instrument leads x 2, Fender Patch lead x 1, OBBM Speaker Lead x 1
Jim Dunlop Strap and 1.4mm Tortex Wedge Plectrum
Mono M80 Gig-bag

Either (depending upon how I feel):
Fender Steve Harris P (D'Addario Chromes) or EBMM Stingray (D'Addario Roundwounds) or Aria SB Elite (D'Addario Roundwounds)
and
Ibanez Portamento

Ashdown JJB-500 into either (depending upon mood/gig need):
Laney 4x10 or 4x8 & 1x15 or Ashdown 810

TC Electronic HyperGravity, Zoom B3, Vesta Fire DST, DIY overdrive, Boss LS-2

All homemade cables

2 ebay leather straps
2 gig bags

Edited by bartelby

Straight up? If oush came to shove, I could get away with one fretted Fender type bass (I only add the fretless because the rest of the band prefer it on a couple of songs, I'm ambivalent in all but one case). Compressor, Phase 90, tuner. OD is nice but I could get away without it if using a good clanky Stingray. Delay could go. I doubt the PA is good enough in most cases to even hear when I'm using it as a chorus.

If monitors were [i]reliably [/i]good enough, I'd even lose the back-line and have a preamp pedal/DI box. Big 'if' though.

[color=black]I currently use a Fender Jazz into Aguilar DB751 and DB410, or an Ibanez Promethean 2x10 mini stack if I have to carry my own gear (I know I know)[/color][color=black] [/color]

[color=black]I’m a big fan of not overcomplicating my setup however I will soon add a Sadowsky onboard preamp to the Jazz.[/color]

For most gigs, I take a Fender Precision, plus another as a spare 'just in case', Ashdown Touring 330 combo, Smooth Hound wireless, guitar lead in case of wireless failure (not happened yet, but...) and Sansamp DI in case amp fails (needed it once last year when my other amp, an ABM 500 developed a problem during a gig).

Other than that, earplugs, tuner, spare picks and my digital recorder so I can hear what we did afterwards.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1488274780' post='3247369']
My rig as listed in the other thread [u]is[/u] my basic live setup. It's already as simple as i can get it -- bass, amp case, FX unit, one cab, couple of cables.
[/quote]

Similar for me - the beauty of playing in a revved up R&B band is that there's no pressure to sound like Steve Lawson...although that would be pretty interesting....

I could knock out a satisfactory performance with any four string bass that holds it's tuning, a lead and something that makes the noise louder and which I and the audience can hear. I'm a low-maintenance dude.

Currently its either a Fender P bass or Epiphone Jack Casady Bass, each with a Comfort Strapp, into a Markbass LM3 housed in the Markbass bag, which is my little office full of bits.

That goes into a Schroeder 1210 cab, via a Korg Pitchblack tuner. They're strung with La Bella flats (P bass) and TI flats (the Epi).

That's it, apart from my mic (Sennheiser e835) and stand, harmonicas, Earpeace rubbery ear plugs and bunch of leads, plug boards, spare strings and little tobacco tin full of tools, fuses, tape etc.

Items I use. Just changed what I do, so it is now:

(Dunlop 1mm nylon pick).
Strings - Legacy 45-130
Bass - either my modded MM Sterling 5 or Yamaha 425 depending upon band.
Line 6 G50
Mighty Sound PT-06 tuner
Behringer BDI-21
Orange TB500 or Trace Elliot AH-300
Barefaced Supercompact (one or two)
IEM - Cheap T Bone unit - for one band, ear plugs for the other.
AKG D5 mic and K&M stand for one band.
2 gang extension reel.

I take lots of spare stuff.

Since I've left the cruise game, all I do is dep now.

Turn up with Bass an DI & In ears.. All sorted. Most top function bands now have good PA/Monitor set-up.

A lot of bands like me just turning up, taking up little floorspace, and not filling the entire stage with bass. SO easy.

Been using this for about 5 years with no complaints ( except the odd boomy room, but thats not the gear at fault!) and always look forward to the next with the same. Love it.
Fender Jazz.
Sadowsky preamp pedal
EBS Chours pedal
Tuner pedal
EBS 350 head
One EBS NEO 1x12 plus one EBS NEO 2x10 cab. (Either or both depending on size of gig/ rehearsal )
Nice good quality leads but cant remember off the top of my head what brand. Must be good though because I've had the same ones for years.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1488553137' post='3249987']
I'm firmly in "Playing to three people on multi-band original nights" type bands and 99% of the time I just take my bass and DI straight into the PA.
[/quote]

Sigh. I'm actually thinking about getting a small active monitor. The scenario you describe only needs a DI, but the monitors are usually crap too IME!

Few years ago I did some corporate gigs in Majorca, everything hired in. After giving them our requirements,
we waited to see what we got. My 'wants' were a Fender Precision / Jazz and an Ampeg / Hartke rig. Left it deliberately
loose , figuring there wouldn't be much choice.
I got - a Fender 'style' bass, a Peavey head and an unnamed cab. And do you know what? Nobody died......

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1488493250' post='3249524']
Similar for me - the beauty of playing in a revved up R&B band is that there's no pressure to sound like Steve Lawson...although that would be pretty interesting....

I could knock out a satisfactory performance with any four string bass that holds it's tuning, a lead and something that makes the noise louder and which I and the audience can hear. I'm a low-maintenance dude.
[/quote]

...FWIW, I love those gigs where I can show up with a bass, a volume pedal, an amp and a couple of cables. I often take an overdrive pedal just to thicken the sound behind solos if it's a three piece... That was my rig when I was depping for Dave Clarke in Alvin Stardust's band a few years ago, and when I do wedding band deps - not a looper or a reverb in sight :)

I do like getting back to the crazy toys afterwards though :D

In the wedding band days, though I'd happily do the gig on just my Mk 1 Custom I'd almost always bring both my Wals partly as insurance but partly to use each for different songs/sections of the set.

That meant I'd take my Lehle3@1 pedal for quick, easy silent switching into my TU2 or Polytune into an amp.

For many years that was a 200W Trace Elliott 1215 combo. When it died I had an Ashdown Mag300 and 4x10 I just never got on with and which I sold and got a MarkBass LM II and Traveler 2x10 and 1x15 cabs. I love that amp set up!

If I went back to that I'd probably take my modest pedal board just coz that's where my tuner and Tech 21 VTDI are.