Why become a member? ×

J & D vs Harley Benton

BrunoBass

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1493792880' post='3290625']
Interesting. I'm amazed they don't advertise the fact if it is true, as it would be a great sales point. There obviously is some sort of rod there. Might not be carbon though. Steel is the other obvious possibility. Is there a thread on TB about it then ?
[/quote] There's not a specific thread, the fella posted in the HB owners club a while back saying he'd went for maple as CITES stopped him going rosewood,When it arrived he'd stripped the head on a screw,it was bought as a modding platform, had a bi-polar rage attack and smashed it up. Poor bugger did damage to his house too during the event.I think it took guts to post saying he now wouldn't be modding it and why.

Carbon Vs Steel ? Stainless Steel would add 5oz to the neck,Carbon just over 1oz[b],[/b]mild steel over 9oz :o R/C Model car & plane shops sell carbon strips for £7,the Metal store wants £9 for steel.If carbon's £7 in a shop then long term buying for 100's of neck would maybe add £2 per neck.I'll send the fella a message asking him whether carbon or steel.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1494014480' post='3292677']
The fella got back to me earlier to confirm it was carbon in the neck not steel. Unless there's a sudden upsurge in folks smashing up HB's and J&D's we'll never know just how common the carbon bars are.
[/quote]

Veeery interesting

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1494014480' post='3292677']
The fella got back to me earlier to confirm it was carbon in the neck not steel. Unless there's a sudden upsurge in folks smashing up HB's and J&D's we'll never know just how common the carbon bars are.
[/quote]

somebody here must have access to an X-Ray machine ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I just pulled the trigger, as the cool kids say, on a J&D 75 Jazz Bass. It should arrive Thursday.

It was a toss up between J&D and Harley Benton; I went for the J&D as it was ever so slightly cheaper, but more due to the weight of the HB equivalent, which seems to be something that comes up a lot. I may find that the J&D is a heavy beast as well, but as no one seems to comment on it I can only assume that weight isn't a problem.

Customer service from DV247 in Romford has been very good so far; I look forward to Thursday to see if I've got a gem or a dog.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1495911746' post='3307548']
Well, I just pulled the trigger, as the cool kids say, on a J&D 75 Jazz Bass. It should arrive Thursday.

It was a toss up between J&D and Harley Benton; I went for the J&D as it was ever so slightly cheaper, but more due to the weight of the HB equivalent, which seems to be something that comes up a lot. I may find that the J&D is a heavy beast as well, but as no one seems to comment on it I can only assume that weight isn't a problem.

Customer service from DV247 in Romford has been very good so far; I look forward to Thursday to see if I've got a gem or a dog.
[/quote]

It's arrived.

I have a gem.