Why become a member? ×

Why is the Musicman Stingray SR4 cheaper than others?

DDR

Hello there guys

Maybe you can help. I am Interested in that Musicman sound. I have done a swap with a friend of mine which has found me inheriting a original USA Sterling. I love the sound. But my chunky hands & fingers do not get on with the neck and space in between the strings. The bass I learned to play on and my main bass is a Fender Precision 50's style.

So with that intro done. I tried a Musicman Stingray SR4 in a PMT shop and I liked it. But I am curious about why all the other Stingrays are +500/600/800 etc pounds more that this. Anyone know? What's with SR4?

Edited by DDR

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1488363376' post='3248189']
Seems to be just the fact that the SR4 is made in limited range of colours only, all with rosewood fingerboard only, has a 2 band EQ, and comes in a gig bag instead of a hard case. That's it as far as I can tell.
[/quote]

I think they have a poplar body too. I own one and I'm sure that's what the guy in the shop said.

The Stingray has a wider neck than the Sterling, similar to that of a P bass, so that may suit you better if you have larger hands. They come in a variety of different specs notably with either a 2 or 3 Band EQ (3 or 4 knobs!), and prices will vary depending on which one you choose (the 2 EQ cost more for some reason).They also come with a maple or rosewood neck. Sound wise the 3 EQ has more tone than that of the 2 EQ, but it really is marginal and not something you'd notice much when playing live, you'd not go wrong with either IMHO.

There is a cheaper made Stingray bass on the market confusingly also named the Stirling Sub, and I think these also offer similar tones, and are made outside the USA.

As to why SR's prices differ that would again depend on your spec, i.e any USA made model such as the 5 string, or the 2 EQ models (and the Stirling (USA) model, due to having a smaller body and slimmer Jazz type neck), will have a higher price band than a standard USA made 3 EQ Stingray.

Either way, whichever USA built Stingray you plump for, you'll not be disappointed with the build quality or range of sounds on offer. I've never played or owned a cheaper sub model so cannot comment on them. Good luck with your hunt.

[quote name='DDR' timestamp='1488365509' post='3248228']
Thanks guys! @paulgibsonbass you dig it? Does, in your opinion, the Poplar body do anything to the sound that is not quite up there with the rest?
[/quote]

I majorly dig it. It's my main gigging bass, fairly light, US build quality and all the 'Ray tone you want. Like you I'm comfortable with a P neck and this is a dream to play. I don't find the 2eq limiting in any way over the 3eq, and I personally don't feel the need to spend another £500 for a mid eq pot. My only niggle is that I'd prefer a maple neck but when you look at what you get for a grand it's impressive. I love mine.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

[quote name='Orbs' timestamp='1488366264' post='3248241']
They come in a variety of different specs notably with either a 2 or 3 Band EQ (3 or 4 knobs!), and prices will vary depending on which one you choose (the 2 EQ cost more for some reason).They also come with a maple or rosewood neck.
[/quote]

The SR4 that the OP refers to comes in limited colours and rosewood neck only, and only in 2eq spec.

The more expensive 2eq model you refer to is the Stingray Classic I think, which is a reissue of the original pre Ernie Ball model from the 70s.

There are a couple of 'Ray experts on here that will know more than I do.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

PMT still have these 'cheaper' Stingrays in stock, I tried one recently and it was 100% USA Stingray. As others have mentioned, a few years ago they got the cost down on USA Stingrays by only offering Blue, Black and Red I believe, with a gig bag and 2 band EQ. I have never read anything about a different body wood being used but that is not to say that that information is not correct.

When I looked online only PMT and Mansons still had theses in stock at that price. I was tempted but found mint condition used ones with hard cases and 3 band EQ for similar money. Oh and I am sure the chap i spoke to in PMT said they had maple necked versions not just rosewood if that's what you are after.

Those SR4 models are exactly the same as if you ordered a new rosewood 2 band Stingray in a solid pearl blue, candy red or gloss black colour today from a MM dealer and paid £1500. Its a complete bargain. An immaculate 2 band Stingray should sell tomorrow for +£800 so theres hardly any depreciation compared to a one you would pay £1500 for (and still flip for c.£800)

The single difference is that a new one would come with a hard case rather than a gig bag and you cant get a maple board. If you need a hard case just pick up a secondhand Hiscox for £50 - they come up all the time.

The SR4 was released a few years ago to hit a lower pricepoint and a few shops seem to have one or two left, mainly in pearl blue or candy red it seems.

Just fyi, the 2 band eq sounds substantially different to a 3 band - i've had both at the same time. The 3 band eq has a high pass filter built in which means you dont get quite the grunt/slam that a 2 band has. It also sounds a bit thinner at the higher end.
The 2 band sounds warmer and less sterile imho - you can also increase the mids if needed by backing off the bass/treble and turning the volume up (its a common misconception that the 2 band lacks mids)

Edited by Mudpup

Thanks guys, really useful stuff there!

The maple neck does sound attractive as that's what i have on my P and really like the way it feels.

The research continues!

There's some confusion in this thread though quite a lot of info is right. SR4 is just an abbreviation for Stingray 4 - you can guess what an SR5 is.

New current spec Stingray 4 string comes in a variety of colours, a hard shell case, can be had with rosewood, maple or pau ferro (Fretless) fingerboard, and with 2 or 3 band EQs and can be had in bolt on or neck through configuration or with H, HH or HS pick up configurations. The bolt on can be had with a narrower neck profile (ordered as an SLO special), they all have ash bodies (occasionally a PDN limited edition model may have a different wood such as alder).

There are other models including the classic Stingray (2 band 4 or 5 string with highly figured neck wood, and other retro features like string through body bridge with mutes) - there's also an old smoothie version of the classic with a different pick up and other features.

The classic, old smoothie and neck thru are higher priced than the normal model (because they have higher grade materials and features) - this may be why a 2 band appears more expensive than a 3 band - but possibly comparing standard model with classic. The normal model in 2 band form should be slightly cheaper - natural body colour commands a mark up on price also.

A few years back, the standard SR4 (i.e not classic etc) was available from some dealers for £999 in red, white or blue, with 2 band EQ and a gig bag - there may be one or two still around - this was back when the economy and particularly dollar v pound values hadn't changed greatly so if you find one, it will be a bargain (and likely more than £999 now).

The poplar body won't make much difference and was used in the early 90s for all of the solid colour SR4s and SR5s. Maybe slightly mellower than ash at the extremes. The US Sub Stingrays also have poplar bodies.

You are right there is a vast range of prices but if you order new they will be reasonably similar - used prices vary greatly - some of the more unusual specs and colours sometimes command much higher prices - depends if people want them (basic supply and demand).

Edited by drTStingray

@drTStingray pretty in depth there thank you!

I am currently checking out some Classic models, gonna go give them a try tomorrow actually... anything I should know you might mention?

Not really - they're 2 band so plenty of bass and treble boost available - remember you can get a quite different sound dependent on whereabouts between the neck and bridge you pluck the strings.

I usually set mine full bass and almost full treble - roll back the EQ to accentuate the mids if you want a staccato sort of sound.

Worth trying with the mutes rolled on as well.

I suggest you try the amp set flat initially - remember if you scoop the amp a lot (or use pre set amp filters like the Markbass, it's possible to overemphasise the bass (say on E and A strings).

They're generally very good, consistent basses with few problems.

I hope it goes well.

Heya

I just thought you might be interested in my report on the Classic Stingray I played today, uninformed as it might be... I liked it. I especially liked the feel of it in my hands, not as thin as my 50's style P but the width of the fretboard and lacqured neck worked nicely for me.

The tone was great, as you know the 2 eq pots don't have a middle ground flat lock so it's a bit of a feel it out thing. I wasn't sure I was getting where I wanted with that. I guess one would get used to it. But I have to say that my personal preference leaned towards preferring the sound of my Sterling that I am selling. I want that sound but with the feel of the chunkier Stingray.... If you have any ideas...

The search continues.....

Thanks again for you help!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1488533228' post='3249675']
If you liked 5 strings you could get a Stingray 5 with the Sterling pickups....(ceramic)....certain eras cover this.
[/quote]

Interesting... I am both interested and afraid in the 5 string...

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1488537505' post='3249733']
Also the Reflex and 25th Anniversay have ceramic I think - only available used - there's a 25th in the for sale now.

There is also the Bongo but that does not really get a Stingray sound.

All of these are few and far between to try out.
[/quote]

Yeah.... Pricey huh?

While I am here I'm gonna dare ask... Sandberg California 2 VM???

I played one... Felt nice, not really got that musicman thing but closeish... What do you think?

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1488372933' post='3248329']
PMT still have these 'cheaper' Stingrays in stock, I tried one recently and it was 100% USA Stingray. As others have mentioned, a few years ago they got the cost down on USA Stingrays by only offering Blue, Black and Red I believe, with a gig bag and 2 band EQ. I have never read anything about a different body wood being used but that is not to say that that information is not correct.
[/quote]

+1

There's no such thing as an "SR4" model, that's just shorthand for Stingray 4-string that is often used, and those are *real* Stingrays.
I don't know anything about the wood being poplar. But I had the feeling that only translucent MM instruments were ash/alder and the rest could be various things. Not 100% sure. I do know, from owning a 2003 SUB made with a poplar body, that the body wood does not detract one little bit from their "Stingrayness"

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1488386172' post='3248511']
There's some confusion in this thread though quite a lot of info is right. SR4 is just an abbreviation for Stingray 4 - you can guess what an SR5 is.

New current spec Stingray 4 string comes in a variety of colours, a hard shell case, can be had with rosewood, maple or pau ferro (Fretless) fingerboard, and with 2 or 3 band EQs and can be had in bolt on or neck through configuration or with H, HH or HS pick up configurations. The bolt on can be had with a narrower neck profile (ordered as an SLO special), they all have ash bodies (occasionally a PDN limited edition model may have a different wood such as alder).

There are other models including the classic Stingray (2 band 4 or 5 string with highly figured neck wood, and other retro features like string through body bridge with mutes) - there's also an old smoothie version of the classic with a different pick up and other features.

The classic, old smoothie and neck thru are higher priced than the normal model (because they have higher grade materials and features) - this may be why a 2 band appears more expensive than a 3 band - but possibly comparing standard model with classic. The normal model in 2 band form should be slightly cheaper - natural body colour commands a mark up on price also.

A few years back, the standard SR4 (i.e not classic etc) was available from some dealers for £999 in red, white or blue, with 2 band EQ and a gig bag - there may be one or two still around - this was back when the economy and particularly dollar v pound values hadn't changed greatly so if you find one, it will be a bargain (and likely more than £999 now).

The poplar body won't make much difference and was used in the early 90s for all of the solid colour SR4s and SR5s. Maybe slightly mellower than ash at the extremes. The US Sub Stingrays also have poplar bodies.

You are right there is a vast range of prices but if you order new they will be reasonably similar - used prices vary greatly - some of the more unusual specs and colours sometimes command much higher prices - depends if people want them (basic supply and demand).
[/quote]

drTStingray always ready to clarify anything Stingray :) thanks!