Why become a member? ×

Music Locker - an interesting read.........

taunton-hobbit

I'm a little confused...

There's this old amp. It doesn't seem to work properly and needs a substantial investment to put it right. It sounds to me like, as a buyer I have two options: 1) I return it (one channel didn't even work, we're not discussing whether it sounded good or bad which can be subjective), or I keep it and take care of repairs. If I go ahead and start repairing it, I cannot go back and force the shop to contribute to it.

So I'm confused, I'm not sure what happened here... :mellow:

I think the 'problem' seems to lie in the 'serviced' part of their advertising (on every ad) - customers seem to hope that the object has actually been on a bench - lately..........from the Les Paul forum it would look unlikely..........if I buy off fleabay I tend to expect the object to be somewhat less than described - I also don't expect to pay top dollar for anything else.........
http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=112283
might shed a little more light.......?

:mellow:

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1488570113' post='3250220']
I think the 'problem' seems to lie in the 'serviced' part of their advertising (on every ad) - customers seem to hope that the object has actually been on a bench - lately..........from the Les Paul forum it would look unlikely..........if I buy off fleabay I tend to expect the object to be somewhat less than described - I also don't expect to pay top dollar for anything else.........
[url="http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=112283"]http://www.vintageam...p?f=53&t=112283[/url]

[/quote]

I'm still not following - do they have a documented history of regularly misleading buyers?

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1488570113' post='3250220']
[url="http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=112283"]http://www.vintageam...p?f=53&t=112283[/url]

[/quote]

I get that, but that's no different from multitude of other cases when you buy something that is expected to work and it doesn't: return and keep looking.

A bit like buying a used car... when the shop tells you it's been serviced, I don't expect they've done much more than ensure it's got oil and the brakes work...

I think there's a bit of misleading from the shop's part (implying they do a thorough service on those ancient amps), but also an over-reaction from the buyer's part.
I feel there's something missing in the story here.

After an exchange of pms, I'll offer this.......I bought an amp off this firm a year or so ago.
It was described as serviced (as are all their stock)....it was somewhat overpriced, but it
was a model that I really wanted, so I bit the bullet (gas).........
It arrived, filthy, inside and out...I mean like it had been stored by the side of the.M6 for a
few years I put it straight to my tech (details available, pm me), who did recap work, commented
that the output valves looked 'recent', and cleaned the thing properly before a pat test.
So I paid about 50% more for a serviced amp, which was filthy and had not been properly 'benched'
and then had to be professionally sorted...........
This is not a rant...merely a statement of fact.
(no, I didn't bother shouting at them, I've been in 'no win' situations before)

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1488572705' post='3250245']
After an exchange of pms, I'll offer this.......I bought an amp off this firm a year or so ago.
It was described as serviced (as are all their stock)....it was somewhat overpriced, but it
was a model that I really wanted, so I bit the bullet (gas).........
It arrived, filthy, inside and out...I mean like it had been stored by the side of the.M6 for a
few years I put it straight to my tech (details available, pm me), who did recap work, commented
that the output valves looked 'recent', and cleaned the thing properly before a pat test.
So I paid about 50% more for a serviced amp, which was filthy and had not been properly 'benched'
and then had to be professionally sorted...........
This is not a rant...merely a statement of fact.
(no, I didn't bother shouting at them, I've been in 'no win' situations before)

[/quote]

What did they say when you complained to them?

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3](no, I didn't bother shouting at them, I've been in 'no win' situations before)[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] :unsure:[/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] [/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1488573266' post='3250250']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3](no, I didn't bother shouting at them, I've been in 'no win' situations before)[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] :unsure:[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

I know you didn't shout at them, but what did they say when you politely pointed out your concerns?

I didn't bother, just sighed and got the thing (properly) sorted......
when I buy something as clean & serviced, I've got used to
'not being the whole story' and I have better things to do....
it's my blood pressure, after all.
I think the t&cs at the bottom of their current advertising
(which have had a seismic workover since I dealt with them)
probably say it all...............

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1488573970' post='3250258']
I didn't bother, just sighed and got the thing (properly) sorted......
when I buy something as clean & serviced, I've got used to
'not being the whole story' and I have better things to do....
it's my blood pressure, after all.
I think the t&cs at the bottom of their current advertising
(which have had a seismic workover since I dealt with them)
probably say it all...............

[/quote]

IMO it's bad form and very unfair to publicly criticise a business without giving the company concerned a chance to sort it out first.

You're going to struggle to get any sympathy, I reckon.

I wasn't looking for sympathy - I bought it, I'm a big boy and I dealt with it how I thought best - bearing in mind that I wasn't going to demand a refund, or return the thing to the tender care of whoever had serviced it before the sale & take the chance of 'damage in transit'.
I have no issues with anyone who runs a business and aims for a profit (I do this every day).
Caveat Emptor is, I believe, appropriate here - next time (?) I'll drive & look at something 'in the flesh'....my fault.....

I don't want to sound harsh, but a big boy would have had a grown-up conversation with them to try and resolve it.

Honestly, if you'd come on here to say that they'd sold you an amp that looked like it had chickens living in it, and you'd complained but they'd told you to do one, I'd be right at the front of the queue waving my pitchfork.

Instead, I'm looking at their decent eBay feedback and wondering if they even had a chance to sort it out.