Why become a member? ×

March Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

This month is a right struggle for me :(

I am in the middle of a kitchen build , mad at work , new band start up , loads of songs to learn with arrangements as we are a 3 piece musically , and while I am sure I can find time to record something , my head can't find the space to get the angle , still a few days left ...break over , back to it

This wasn't what I intended to write at all...

My first real test of Albion One. This was originally going to be more of an indie rock style track at first but I wanted a project for my new orchestral library. I've started a course on cinematic trailer production and wanted a first go to see how I progress through the course.

The image this track is based on is a moment frozen in time. A smidgen of peace and serenity before the music lover leaps into the chaos of the crowd. There's a moment of being lost in the moment before a triumphant realisation that's he's in bliss. Or something like that.

This track is mostly composed of Spitfire's Albion One with a few additions from other libraries, notably the Spitfire Orchestral Grand Piano (I'm loving the ostinatum on that), the harp from the Kontakt factory library, Rise and Hit, Massive with EQ and compression handled by Neutron.

https://soundcloud.com/mornats/low-mass

I've also gone for a 'moment in time' feel. Tried to get a suspended feel to the song, like everything has stopped, and the singer is looking back retrospectively at a moment he'll never have again. A bit of clarity in the chaos looking back as an older man on his youth.

I'll upload it later when I'm at the PC, wanted to do a guitar riff driven song, recently done one which would have worked well but it would have been cheating, and I couldn't live with the shame!

I should have started earlier than 4.30 today. Add that to the fact I'm trying to use my R24 in anger for the first time, and trying to learn how to do loops(also a first) and do something in an unfamiliar genre, I may have bitten off more than I can chew...
Needless to say, the end result will reflect the minutes I've spent on it!
Time for dinner now. Will really try to get some thing up before curfew.

this has been a complete rush but i'm in.

it's always great when I listen to soundcloud cos invariably the next tune is the Weeds investigate : duality of man , it just puts a smile every time :D

anyway more mundanely

here's mine https://soundcloud.com/lurksalot/first-rule-of-the-pool

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1490385377' post='3264850']
Official date-time for entering is midnight, tonight, so any entrants yet to come may need to get their skates on ... :mellow:

It's not strictly applied, so no panic, but time is running out, just the same. ;)
Just sayin'.
[/quote]
oh well in that case, you can't have mine :P

Just made it!
This comp is all about firsts for me. Some months ago it was my first "public" drumming, first song I've done for 35 odd years, first singing solo for public consumption, and now first playing with loops, although I've only had this afternoon to tinker on my new Zoom R24, and I did go to the pub at lunchtime... (hic!)
The great thing about this challenge, for me, is that it makes me do stuff and learn stuff that I would normally keep putting off.
https://soundcloud.com/julian-moss-511168525/levitate

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1490395285' post='3264933']...
The great thing about this challenge, for me, is that it makes me do stuff and learn stuff that I would normally keep putting off...
[/quote]

Unfortunately, the same goes for Lenny. :(

:rolleyes: :lol: :P

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1490393630' post='3264922']
oh well in that case, you can't have mine :P
[/quote]

NO; GET YER SKATES ON..! :angry:

(Skol will be late posting the voting, anyway, so ... :lol: :P )

Edited by Dad3353

[size=5][b][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/302951-march-composition-challenge-voting/"]VOTNG THREAD IS UP![/url][/b][/size]

I came tantalising close to having something finished myself this month, but it wan't to be.

That's not to say I've been slacking off, however ;) I've been busy with some other music projects, mostly remixes (which is what I'm focusing on at the moment). Here's an example from this month... vocals are the artist's own, the rest is all me (incl. bass and some of the guitar parts):

[url="https://www.indabamusic.com/opportunities/wolf-saga-keep-dancing-remix-contest/submissions/fbdd11b8-0c2b-11e7-b3d8-0e23ec8b8f61"]SKOL'S RECENT MUZAK[/url]

Edited by Skol303

ok so here is mine

This song started out as a reflection of the picture, but then it morphed into something in different.

Rather than being about the figure in the show, it made me remember how it was to be in the crowd in shows like that during my youth, and then it reminded me of the freedom and careless attitude of university and growing up.

From that it ended up being a song about having fun, and that awkward moment when one party in a one night stand believes it was more than just fun... it ended up miles from my initial idea, but hopefully it's fun and enjoyable, like youth was.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/robslusarmusic/get-up-get-out"]Get up, Get out[/url]

forgive the rushed nature of the recordings and mix

Edited by RockfordStone

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1490626814' post='3266585']
ta. i dont expect it will get many, it's sh*t
[/quote]

I'm sure it will be better than mine! I almost didn't make it this month and mine's not exactly a good fit for the picture. It was also rushed out. I've done 4 more tweaked version since then but I'll wait until after voting to update the track on Soundcloud. Can't really do a "bait and switch" on it mid-vote, plus it wouldn't have been entirely done in the time frame.