Why become a member? ×

Jhs pedals - 4 wheeler

spiltmilk_2000

Guys, looking for a fuzz pedal and really like some of the demos I've seen of the jhs 4 wheeler... after a bit of surfing I found a thread on another (inferior!) bass community and there was a fair amount of jhs bashing going on but no real explanation of why. Not sure if it was based on quality, reliability, price/value but I was surprised as their stuff generally sounds good to my ears! So was just wondering what your experiences of jhs in general, and in particular the 4 wheeler?
Thanks in advance...

I've got the Muffuletta (6-way muff fuzz) and it's great, no complaints about it whatsoever. I don't see much bashing of the company, they're normally well regarded in terms of quality high end gear, I can only imagine that it's a case of people moaning about the price.

I've never played a 4 wheeler but the demo's for it seem pretty cool. I was going to get one but ended up with the Muffuletta, give one a go if you have the chance (I'm biased)

I would like this to not turn into a JHS-bashing thread but in a nutshell the controversy stems from JHS using circuits which are very close clones of other effects and some people have reported reliability issues.

The link nash posted provides some interesting reading.

Be cautious of internet drama and witch-hunts.

Yes, an interesting read... thanks for sharing! Seems like a fuss over not much at all though... To my mind it feels a little ridiculous to expect companies to create entirely new designs... don't know anything about electronics but how different can you make fuzz pedal circuit and still make it a fuzz pedal? Like I said, I like what I've heard of the jhs 4 wheeler. Is it a bit expensive? yes but seems so many pedals are at that price point these days... do they base products around tweaks to existing designs? If it sounds good, not sure I really care! I do feel for companies that spent a fortune on developing a pedal only to have it cloned but I guess you know that's possible when you enter the pedal building arena...

I suppose a lot of their product range are clones, but then again I can't think of many companies that don't clone pedals, or at least recreate them in their own way.

As for price, you're paying what you think it's worth. Yes, they probably cost about £20 for components and retail at £200 but you're paying for the idea, the time spent making them, and the quality of the product etc etc. They are independent companies, after all.