Why become a member? ×

Closest aftermarket Jazz pups to a late 70's set?

King Tut

I've got an intermittent problem in my 70's (ish) Jazz bass. The pups are 78 and the pots etc are all 74. Now these pups just sound completely bonkers - hard to describe but really middly, powerful and honky. If I ultimately find it's the pups at fault, can anyone recommend something to replace them to give the same sound?

Presumably you've checked all the solder joints?
I had an intermittent problem on one of my vintage Fenders, I thought it was a pup problem but turned out to be a solder joint, that looked sound but actually wasn't. It took a very close inspection with a magnifier to spot it.

Both good points thanks guys. I've got a replacement loom on its way from Kiogon . . . I'm not convinced vintage pots make a difference but if I check them closely and find a fault I'll know the pups are good. Otherwise a rewind is a great idea!

[quote name='King Tut' timestamp='1488532135' post='3249667']
Both good points thanks guys. I've got a replacement loom on its way from Kiogon . . . I'm not convinced vintage pots make a difference but if I check them closely and find a fault I'll know the pups are good. Otherwise a rewind is a great idea!
[/quote]

Good advice from Gary. It might also be the solder joint underneath the pickup, if that's flakey then the problem can be intermittent too and the new loom wouldn't show it up.

Good luck.

So I've taken Gary Mac's advice and examined with a magnifying glass - well a lupe actually. I couldn't believe how much crud there was around the pots, including a couple of single strands of stray copper wire. I would imagine that's where my problem has come from!