Why become a member? ×

NVBD - '64 Precision

Bridgehouse

After all the great advice on my 'spending loads of cash' thread, and having tried a truckload of basses over the last few weeks, I found one I just couldn't step away from.

2x '66 Jazz, 1x '65 Jazz = nice, don't get me wrong, they were nice, but they weren't me. Neck was a little too thin, but mostly too much depth and shoulder.

Then, a '64 P. Crikey. 44.2mm nut width and really flat. It felt awesome. Sounded awesome through the Ampeg B15 I tried it through as well.

It's all original.
Original case
Original Nut + Frets
Original Hardware
Original Pups
Original Pots

Neck date is Oct 64
Pots a bit later
Pups a bit earlier

It's an L serial (of course) and it's about as much original pre-CBS as I can afford. Or want. Makes the '74 P I have sound a bit thin and weedy. Plugged it in at home and one flick of the E string and I thought I was having a stroke and heart attack combined - it was like armageddon and WW3 had all started all at once. Blimey. There will be less thump at the heavyweight boxing on Saturday.

I'm now an official signed and paid up card carrying died in the wool cut me in half and I'll be labelled to the core P bass man. More so than I thought I was. Who'd a thought it?

We live and learn I guess!

Some pics for your viewing pleasure. I will take some daylight shots tomorrow as it's late and the lights in the house don't show off it's real beauty.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1488444240' post='3248929']
'kin 'el! That's beautiful!

Have you got the foam under that bridge cover?
[/quote]

Yep but it's a touch relic'd ;)

It mutes the E but little else. I wondeeed about refreshing it, but I like the originality

I've spent some time with it today.

First off was setup. I've put some D'addario Chromes on it - I really like them, and they have kind of become strings of choice for now.

Needed a truss rod tweak, obviously, but letting it settle and setting saddle height and intonation to match, I've got a rather staggering .006" relief and action of 5/64 E up to just over 3/64 G with absolutely no buzz. I'm quite amazed. Despite a 7.5" radius, the width (44.2mm) and straightness just makes it feel so flat and level.

It seems to like the Chromes a lot. Playing through the Helix and an Ampeg patch it's a touch thumpier and deeper than the '74 P I have, but it's also got a bit more crispness at high mids and in the treble. It sounds a bit wider, fuller and even a bit more 'stereo'.

Everything seems stable. The tuners are remarkably agile for the age. I swapped the '74's for hipshots as they were a bit sticky, but these are smooth and hold tuning well.

Will let it rest over night and revisit tomorrow to see how it's stabilised.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1488470326' post='3249241']
Oh dear - now I need a screen wipe
:)

Lovely relic job there ;)
[/quote]

Must have taken someone ages to get it to look that authentic.. but I'm disappointed that they didn't use much power sander on it ;)