Why become a member? ×

Shoe Polish (Kiwi) Maple Neck Tint

Donnyboy

I recently got a Harley Benton PB50 fifties style precision.

The maple neck is very white & I'd like to tint it to a honey colour.

I was about get laquer spray from Rothko & Frost , but last night I came across various claims that if you get a tin of Kiwi Brown/Mid Tan shoe polish, rub it on and wipe it off it'll do the same thing. Some seem to swear by it

On the other hand, some say this is a lot of old nonsense and a silly fad . it'll look, even smell, rubbish. It might damage the neck, poison you, come off on your fingers and wont last long.

My bass isn't the most expensive but I'd be reluctant to potentially ruin it with something I'd be better rubbing on my boots.

Any views/ comments/experiences?

Many years ago I stripped the varnish off an old chair leg as I repaired it, then tinted it with a mix of brown and black shoe polish to bring it close to the original colour, and then I revarnished it with a clear varnish. Yes it works, providing the wood surface is not sealed, and provided that you seal it afterwards.

David

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' timestamp='1488486673' post='3249450']
Many years ago I stripped the varnish off an old chair leg as I repaired it, then tinted it with a mix of brown and black shoe polish to bring it close to the original colour, and then I revarnished it with a clear varnish. Yes it works, providing the wood surface is not sealed, and provided that you seal it afterwards.

David
[/quote]

How did you get varnish to stay on a waxy finish like boot polish ?

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1488537839' post='3249737']
How did you get varnish to stay on a waxy finish like boot polish ?
[/quote]
From what I remember, I was using black and a couple of shades of brown, and white spirit to take off the excess, so by the time I had finished the surface was clean and did not feel waxy. I assume that the solvents in the varnish would disolve and blend with any sub-surface wax.

David