Why become a member? ×

What got bass 'under your skin'

GreeneKing

This must have been done before I guess but this morning I was walking from work (yes nights) listening to my MP3 player and I realised what did it for me. I didn't actually know such a thing as a bass guitar existed or what it sounded like if I'm honest (am I the only one?) as I was just a spotty 15 year old.

Geezer Butler did it for me and he still does actually. Bloody awesome 47 years later.

Would have to agree with you on Geezer. I was listening to bands in late 70s early 80s without much interest in bass. Then i heard sabbaths first album and his sound and playing really hit me. May not be the most technical but his sound got me hooked on playing bass. Its a shame that i think that bass sound and style he had on first 3 or 4 albums disappeared on albums after that.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1488471363' post='3249253']
Would have to agree with you on Geezer. I was listening to bands in late 70s early 80s without much interest in bass. Then i heard sabbaths first album and his sound and playing really hit me. May not be the most technical but his sound got me hooked on playing bass. Its a shame that i think that bass sound and style he had on first 3 or 4 albums disappeared on albums after that.
[/quote]

Yep, I joined the RN at that time and my interest in Sabbath declined with their own decline imo.

Seasons in The Sun, by Terry Jacks. The bass in that is quite up in the mix, and pretty simple but very effective. From that point on I realise I was always subconsciously listening out for the bass, without even knowing what it was.

John Entwistle was the first player I was truly aware of, especially on Live At Leeds and Quadrophenia. Then there was Andy Fraser on Free Live. However, many years passed when all I cared about was the guitar players (I know, I know), until I heard Pino on Paul Young's, No Parlez, then everything changed.

For me it'd be stuff I heard on the radio (e.g. "Make Me Smile"), then records I bought (particularly John Entwistle on the aforementioned "Live at Leeds" and "Quadrophenia", and Glenn Hughes on "Made In Europe").

Seeing Hot Chocolate live. Bassist got a solo in No Doubt About It and the whole theatre shook. I was thirteen and I remember the moment vividly. I think I was already picking out bass in my head anyhow, and realising that I couldn't "get away with" trying to sing like Jim Morrison it just had to be bass. Only took another two years to persuade my parents I should take up bass guitar

Nick Lowe - I Love the Sound of Breaking Glass.

It was easy to learn. It uses the higher frets as well. I had access to a bass for long enough to learn it at a time when I was clueless, well... more than I am now let's say. I decided I had to buy a bass of my own from that.

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1488478091' post='3249332']
Seeing Hot Chocolate live. Bassist got a solo in No Doubt About It and the whole theatre shook. I was thirteen and I remember the moment vividly. I think I was already picking out bass in my head anyhow, and realising that I couldn't "get away with" trying to sing like Jim Morrison it just had to be bass. [b]Only took another two years to persuade my parents I should take up bass guitar[/b]
[/quote]

Man, they gave in quick. Mine took 40+ years. Dad was dead and Mum admitted to it on her death bed that they could have helped me a bit, but didn't see a future in it.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1488480225' post='3249360']
Always found the bass lines jumped out at me. Loved Cockney Rebel, but this one has always sounded great to me.

[media]http://youtu.be/DohRa9lsx0Q[/media]

Man, where can I get some flares like his!
[/quote]

If I had to vote for my influence when I started playing aged 40, that'd be it.I must relearn it, great bassline.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1488480399' post='3249362']

Man, they gave in quick. Mine took 40+ years. Dad was dead and Mum admitted to it on her death bed that they could have helped me a bit, but didn't see a future in it.
[/quote]

Yes it was an alignment of the stars thing really and I jumped on it. I know I was incredibly lucky at fifteen to persuade my mum that a bass would not be something I'd just give up, already taking my sport seriously and never having got anything close to a tune with any other musical instrument.

I suppose I first really took notice of Tyrone Porter on the Doobie Brothers Captain and Me album. What really tipped me over the edge was being 10 ft away from Phil Lynott at Brunel University in about 1978. Absolutely blew me away. Coolest dude ever.