Why become a member? ×

When GAS defies logic

radiophonic

I have P-bass GAS. I just really want one. Black and maple or White and Maple. Anything except Sunburst. One of the new Squier 70's ones with the block inlays will be fine. However, I really [i]need [/i]a decent Fretless with a non-offset body. As in 'I play songs in a gigging band that require a Fretless' kind of a need, but I'm really am not getting on with my Jazz for reasons unrelated to it's lack of frets. But I want a P-bass. If somebody offered me a Fretless Stingray for the right money, right now, even though it's exactly what I need, I'd still want a P-Bass. I've not been here long, but this is normal, right?

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1488530635' post='3249649']
I have P-bass GAS. I just really want one. Black and maple or White and Maple.
[/quote]

This sounds like me for the last few months, I crumbled last week!

I'm sure there's a fretless 70's one in the classifieds at the moment...

Edited by Lw.

I got a fretless Status neck for my p bass, put lightweight hipshot tuners on it and it worked really well. I still had the original neck to put back on... although not the sort of thing you'd do mid gig. I eventually sold the neck and the p bass... how stupid was that.

For the record, I now have irrational p GAS.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1488531112' post='3249653']
Completely normal. Everyone should own a P bass, it's iconic, the bass that started it all.

They are very playable, sound great and sit in the mix perfectly.

Don't fight the urge, just buy one. You'll feel much better for it.
[/quote]

I like you. I'm going to drop you a line every time I am thinking about making a purchase. :) :) :)

P.s., I totally agree on the P Bass thing. J bass... maybe a Ray too, but I don't own one of those yet.

If you are after a fretless Precision bass, keep an eye on the classifieds here as I will be putting up mine for sale over the weekend :)

Custom built by Osprey guitars (he used to post on here a lot), black, black plate, black stained (or ebony?) unlined fretboard. Black hardware. Lightweight. Quality. I need to claw some money back after buying a fretless 5er.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1488555550' post='3250013']
P.s., I totally agree on the P Bass thing. J bass... maybe a Ray too, but I don't own one of those yet.
[/quote]

I think a Precision, a Jazz & a modern/active bass (could be covered by a 'Ray) are the bare minimum of what a bassist should have - you're holding yourself back if you can't cover these ;-)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1488555952' post='3250022']
If you are after a fretless Precision bass, keep an eye on the classifieds here as I will be putting up mine for sale over the weekend :)

Custom built by Osprey guitars (he used to post on here a lot), black, black plate, black stained (or ebony?) unlined fretboard. Black hardware. Lightweight. Quality. I need to claw some money back after buying a fretless 5er.
[/quote]

I was just going to say I'd just been looking at a fretless P in basses For Sale!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1488558404' post='3250052']
Two words that REALLY don't belong in the same sentence i'm afraid. GAS and Logic. One has little or nothing to do with the other.
[/quote]

Yup, that is oh so true. So very true. I'm having my maxed credit card locked away this weekend....

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1488558404' post='3250052']
Two words that REALLY don't belong in the same sentence i'm afraid. GAS and Logic. One has little or nothing to do with the other.
[/quote]

What he says....

LBGS this weekend - they'll be loads of gear for sale on Monday by people trying to recoup some of the money they shouldn't have spent at the show...