Why become a member? ×

Gain Stacking on a Blackstar LT-Drive - FFO Fugazi/Sonic Youth

Shockwave

[color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif]Hello all.[/font][/color]

[color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif]I am new to the art of Gain stacking. Essentially I play in a Post-punk-rock band with experimental elements, think Fugazi, Sonic youth etc. [/font][/color][color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif]Axe of choice is a cheap as chips Telecaster. [/font][/color]

[color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif]I have a Blackstar LT-Drive pedal, which is a plexi copy, i like to have it at a fairly low-medium gain setting to mimic a broken up amp and I used my dynamics to go driven and somewhat clean. However sometimes I just want that extra boost to go into a more crazy overdrive or fuzz with feedback effects. [/font][/color]

[color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif]What sort of thing should I be looking at? Clean boost in front of the LT-Drive? Fuzz before or after? Another overdrive? Maybe even a MXR Distortion +? (Guy Picciotto from Fugazi uses that to great effect)[/font][/color]

[color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif]As I use lots of different amps during the week I dont want to have to use the amp to help me out here. Assume I am running a clean amp all the time. [/font][/color]

[color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif]Cheers in advance! [/font][/color]

Edited by Shockwave

As you are a bassist as well, I think you will enjoy the Source Audio pedals. Whilst you might have to shell out £150, the Kingmaker fuzz is awesome.

Firstly, if GAK actually send you a new one (they should as they aren't in stock at the mo), go here:

[url="https://www.gak.co.uk/en/source-audio-kingmaker-fuzz/110943"]https://www.gak.co.u...ker-fuzz/110943[/url]

£130.

Secondly, this pedal allows you to use ANY of Source Audio's current 'One Series' boost/overdrive/distortion/fuzz engines, even two at once, all in one pedal. It takes a while to realise just how much this offers. The pedal has 3 stock presets, all fuzz, all GREAT fuzz, but if you use the Source Audio app, or their incoming Desktop editor, you can essentially change the 3 presets to whatever you want from their catalogue, and there is a lot of choice.

This would give you a LOT of excellent tones and it also gives you great bass engines as well...

Oh, and whilst I haven't tried it, I'm 99% certain you can run TWO of them together, so a boost/overdrive, etc, at once, through one pedal.

I've got one and I'm super impressed. They've even made a 'Klon' engine, (just FYI, it is a guitar/boost pedal that now costs about £600-1000) and it is super impressive.

They are like TC's toneprints but, IMO, massively advanced. Do not worry that it is digital....the fuzz tones sound very analog and organic.

Edited by Musicman20

You probably want to start with a treble booster into the LT drive, guitarists like Tim Pierce have even used a Boss GE7 (graphic equaliser) as a boost - which makes a lot of sense given it's possible to select very precisely which frequency bands to boost into compression and which to leave clean for definition.  Then see if you need another overdrive pedal but what overdrive will really depend on how much gain and compression you want and whereabouts in the frequency spectrum you want it to go.  

Tube screamer clones and Marshall Guv'nors are popular but opposite in terms of how they treat mids.  The Tube screamer boosts mids and thickens things up which is great for pretty much anything, the Guv'nor cuts the mids which evens things up when using smaller speakers that have more prominent mids (around 600hz) or for very particular sounds (like AC/DC).  Nobels ODR are also fantastic budget pedals - great, natural sounding overdrive that cleans up nicely when the volume is rolled off.  

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nobels-ODR-1-Natural-Overdrive-Guitar-Pedal-/292049462664?"]http://www.ebay.com/...-/292049462664?[/url]

If it were me, I'd get an ODR and a tube screamer...maybe get rid of the Blackstar... :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...