Why become a member? ×

Best Pick ups for RBX 350 Fretless

Scooterkrzy

Guest Jecklin

It will definitely be the pick ups. I have the single precision pick up version 240f? And acoustically it's GREAT!

I can't help with any recommendations for alternative pick ups I'm afraid though

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1488543502' post='3249830']
How does the bass sound un amplified? If it sounds flat and lifeless then new pickups wont make it sound amazing.
[/quote]
Got any evidence for this? Most (some say all) of the tone of a bass comes through the strings and the pickups. My main bass is fretless and strung with flats. Unplugged it is not a patch on the bitsa I have with roundwounds on. Plugged in, the fretless is big, full, warm through the Nordstrand P pick-up. The bitsa is OK, but a bit aggressive and nowhere near as full sounding.

Yes, it's lovely to have a bass that sings when it is not plugged in, but when plugged in the acoustic properties are quite negligible.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1488571801' post='3250233']
Got any evidence for this? Most (some say all) of the tone of a bass comes through the strings and the pickups. My main bass is fretless and strung with flats. Unplugged it is not a patch on the bitsa I have with roundwounds on. Plugged in, the fretless is big, full, warm through the Nordstrand P pick-up. The bitsa is OK, but a bit aggressive and nowhere near as full sounding.

Yes, it's lovely to have a bass that sings when it is not plugged in, but when plugged in the acoustic properties are quite negligible.
[/quote]

If all of the tone of a bass comes from the pickups why do people spend a fortune on fancy timbers for a better sounding bass?

If a bass is poorly made or badly set up or has inherent problems that show up when played acoustically then you will never get the best out of it no matter how good the pickups are, or we would all be playing cheap basswood body basses with cheap bridges.....and great pickups.

If a bass sings un amplified then you have something to work with, and it is worth spending money if the pups are not cutting it.

Edited by mikel

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1488810991' post='3251948']

If all of the tone of a bass comes from the pickups why do people spend a fortune on fancy timbers for a better sounding bass?

If a bass is poorly made or badly set up or has inherent problems that show up when played acoustically then you will never get the best out of it no matter how good the pickups are, or we would all be playing cheap basswood body basses with cheap bridges.....and great pickups.
[/quote]
If they are paying lots purely to make it sound better they are wasting their money. Sure, if you want it to look great with the wood on show then yes, go exotic. Nothing wrong with basswood (apart from it looks boring). Music Man use it under solid finishes. Some plywood basses sound great, as do some metal and composite ones. Yes, wood and build has some impact on the final sound, but nowhere near as much as it is given credit for - that's all thanks to the marketing departments.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1488811635' post='3251952']
If they are paying lots purely to make it sound better they are wasting their money. Sure, if you want it to look great with the wood on show then yes, go exotic. Nothing wrong with basswood (apart from it looks boring). Music Man use it under solid finishes. Some plywood basses sound great, as do some metal and composite ones. Yes, wood and build has some impact on the final sound, but nowhere near as much as it is given credit for - that's all thanks to the marketing departments.
[/quote]

What I am say is you cant polish a t**d. The guy is asking for ideas regarding replacement pickups to make his "dead" sounding instrument sound "amazing" He says it also sounds "dead" un amplified. I believe he should check out the rest of the bass for problems, like neck to body integrity, bridge and nut. Why waste money on expensive new pickups if the problem is something else. Throwing good money after bad is rarely a joy filled experience.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1488838405' post='3252338']

What I am say is you cant polish a t**d. The guy is asking for ideas regarding replacement pickups to make his "dead" sounding instrument sound "amazing" He says it also sounds "dead" un amplified. I believe he should check out the rest of the bass for problems, like neck to body integrity, bridge and nut. Why waste money on expensive new pickups if the problem is something else. Throwing good money after bad is rarely a joy filled experience.
[/quote]
And I'd say it is very unlikely that Yamaha RBX350 is such a turd. I'd have thought a bit of modding could get this to sing.

Edited by Mykesbass

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1488811635' post='3251952']

Nothing wrong with basswood (apart from it looks boring). Music Man use it under solid finishes.
[/quote]

Slight correction for the uninitiated - basswood is used only on Musicman Bongo basses.

I read somewhere that when the bass was being developed it was found to colour the sound least of all tried at prototype stage.

That said, and probably concurring with the theory about aesthetics rather than sound, the higher priced limited PDN models often feature different body wood/ trans finish, even on Bongos.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1488875860' post='3252477']

Slight correction for the uninitiated - basswood is used only on Musicman Bongo basses.

I read somewhere that when the bass was being developed it was found to colour the sound least of all tried at prototype stage.

That said, and probably concurring with the theory about aesthetics rather than sound, the higher priced limited PDN models often feature different body wood/ trans finish, even on Bongos.
[/quote]
And possibly the original Subs? Sorry, I was also including guitars in this, as I'm pretty sure the Luke was Basswood, and if you think tonewood is a hot potato among bass players don't get guitarists started on the subject!!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1488878383' post='3252507']

And possibly the original Subs? Sorry, I was also including guitars in this, as I'm pretty sure the Luke was Basswood, and if you think tonewood is a hot potato among bass players don't get guitarists started on the subject!!
[/quote]

The Subs and early/mid 90s solid colours on SR4 and 5 are poplar (I think the Steve Morse guitar is also). I think body wood and fretboard wood makes a difference (I base this on the fact I have Rays with ash, poplar and alder bodies - but there are lots of other elements which change things a bit) but it's all fairly marginal IMHO.

As you say, basswood is fine.