Why become a member? ×

Favourite song in your set

Harryburke14

Being in an "originals" band, my fave is one that has a particularly groovy bassline which starts with a wee incidental slide from A to B & runs up the scale & part way down in a rather funky fashion.

The other band I'm in is a worship band, where the set list changes every week.

80% off what comprises our set list isn't what I would choose to listen to at home, so consequently I'm not that into a lot of the songs we play. The songs I really enjoy playing though are:

Psycho by Muse
Out Of the Black by Royal Blood
(Both drop D so we run them into each other and they both rock)

Otherside by RHCP
(Nice groove, little bass solo in the middle and I do backing vocals)

Chelsea Dagger by The Fratellis
(Not particularly challenging to play bit it's usually our last song and it never fails to get everyone up)

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1488618183' post='3250449']
80% off what comprises our set list isn't what I would choose to listen to at home, so consequently I'm not that into a lot of the songs we play. The songs I really enjoy playing though are:

Psycho by Muse
Out Of the Black by Royal Blood
(Both drop D so we run them into each other and they both rock)

Otherside by RHCP
(Nice groove, little bass solo in the middle and I do backing vocals)

Chelsea Dagger by The Fratellis
(Not particularly challenging to play but it's usually our last song and it never fails to get everyone up dancing).
[/quote]

For me it changes from time to time. With my small band it is 'It Never Rains But It Pours' which is a jazzy/bluesy sort of thing by Zoot Money that is reminiscent of Moondance but makes more sense. It just has the most marvellous groove to it that makes me smile. But that kind of alternates in my affections with the frantic funk of 'Favourite Shirts' by Haircut 100.

For the Bon Jovi tribute it has to be 'Dry County' - a cracking good, powerful tune that is in a different league to a lot of their more disposable pop/rock. I enjoy the other stuff, but not as much as this.

I love playing I Wish; I suppose it's kinda repetitive but it's such a fabulous groove and our horn section do a brilliant job on it.
My absolute favourite is our medley of 25 Miles, Papa Was A Rolling Stone and Uptown Funk. I go walkabout/ danceabout in the crowd during 25 Miles, stay out front during Papa Was as I'm basically the only bugger playing :lol: and then of course Uptown Funk is just a joy to play. B)

Probably Hold The Line by Toto. Nothing complicated or difficult to play but plenty of movement to the bass line and a really nice groove to it. We also get to rock out in the solo and the big outro that we play which is fun.
Doesn't hurt that both our singer and our drummer absolutely nail it too.
I'm not the only one either. Despite not being as typical a crowd pleaser as a lot of the rest of the set, it always gets a really good response from the punters.

The whole band really likes playing the Atari's cover of The Boys Of Summer, as a group that's probably our favourite.

For me personally though, either Runaway Baby by Bruno Mars or All My Life by the Foo Fighters. In All My Life I match the vocal melody during the breakdown which adds real groove to it before kicking back into the heavy riff before the last chorus. Love playing that.

We're originals, so it'll mean zero to anyone reading this unless it's Andy or MacDaddy.

The whole set just belts along, but we close with a song called 'Stay Out Late'...I wouldn't even say it's the whole song really either, we just drop back into a final verse and it's a delicious key change. The guitar reverts from powerchords to the song's intro riff and it just drives. It gives me goosepimples just writing this.